New Portal Pitcher Add

msudawg200

Feb 1, 2012
Very solid add. If he stays in the pen, I’d see him stepping right into a high leverage role.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Where do we think this portal class will rank?

Anyone got a 64Analytics sub?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Have we picked up anybody that could even sniff, let's say, maybe at least a .250 batting average because losing Dakota, Mershon, Hujsak, Hines??, Johnny Long (I kid, I kid) all gone, who the hell is gonna maybe hit a ball occasionally? We know from experience that hitters never develop with our present hitting instructor, they can either hit when they get here or get worse, or that's been the pattern of late

patdog

May 28, 2007
Have we picked up anybody that could even sniff, let's say, maybe at least a .250 batting average because losing Dakota, Mershon, Hujsak, Hines??, Johnny Long (I kid, I kid) all gone, who the hell is gonna maybe hit a ball occasionally? We know from experience that hitters never develop with our present hitting instructor, they can either hit when they get here or get worse, or that's been the pattern of late
We’ll struggle offensively. But this pitching staff is shaping up to be pretty good.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
We lost some power production, but those same bats let us down in "win the game" situations that could have propel State to a Regional Host and eventual Super Regional. Their HRs may not be replaced but their lack of clutch hitting in high leverage spots CAN be replaced by productive at bats instead of K's.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We lost some power production, but those same bats let us down in "win the game" situations that could have propel State to a Regional Host and eventual Super Regional. Their HRs may not be replaced but their lack of clutch hitting in high leverage spots CAN be replaced by productive at bats instead of K's.
Jordan and Hines had 8 hits and 5 RBIs (all 5 runs we scored) in the 2 games vs Virginia. They didn't let us down. The other 7 guys in the order did.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Jordan and Hines had 8 hits and 5 RBIs (all 5 runs we scored) in the 2 games vs Virginia. They didn't let us down. The other 7 guys in the order did.

And off the top of my head, I can think of at least 2 SEC games we absolutely lose without some Hines heroics.

They won't be replaced easily.

Reactions: patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Since I'm sure that I'm one of the ones that people think has it out for Lemonis, let me get this outta the way first. I'm not optimistic about next year, but pitching is not my concern. Yeah, we've got to replace some big arms, but we had a lot of bullpen guys really start to improve towards the end of the year, we had some young talent that we didn't even really see, and simply put... Parker more than earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being able to give us a chance to win games. We'll be fine on the mound.

Hitting, on the other hand, was a big problem last season, we've lost 70% of the lineup that we had, and we didn't exactly see much from the younger crowd to give us any hope that those guys are ready to take over an everyday job. Worse yet, we brought Gautreau back for some inexplicable reason, so even with the right talent, I don't have any faith whatsoever in them being properly prepared to hit.

All that said, we knew coming into the offseason that we needed a LOT of portal guys, and I have to give credit to the coaching staff for not wasting any time there. I think we had 4-5 guys committed this year prior to the time that we got even one commit last year, so we're at least getting guys. Now it's just a matter of what we can do with them, and again... there's just one main area that I'm deeply concerned about, and I think rightfully so.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So is Lemonis recruiting much harder now?

I don't know, but I suspect recruiting is much easier after a season in which you've re-established that you are indeed a good baseball program.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login