New Reality of CFB

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Seeing the portal combined with NIL has made me realize this is the new reality of CFB. It's going to be an annual upheaval of rosters each year, even top performing players at top schools are going to be looking for more $$$/ a better situation. It's all about who restructures the best and has systems that are easy to learn and pick up.

I wonder how long the powers that be allow the system to operate this way or when they'll develop some form of structure to it.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Seeing the portal combined with NIL has made me realize this is the new reality of CFB. It's going to be an annual upheaval of rosters each year, even top performing players at top schools are going to be looking for more $$$/ a better situation. It's all about who restructures the best and has systems that are easy to learn and pick up.

I wonder how long the powers that be allow the system to operate this way or when they'll develop some form of structure to it.
Something HAS to be done. I'm guessing legal challenges are the current road block now but of course I may be wrong on that.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's just like free agency now, no loyalty to a team, strictly "whats in it for me". Constant churning of the roster, dissent in the locker room because somebody's making more $$ than somebody else. Will be interesting to see what Senior Day looks like in a few years, the only Sr's that will take part in it will be the Jrs that transferred in last season or players that rode the bench for 4 years and couldn't find a team in the portal that wanted them......

Reactions: Ibdancin

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1 year scholarships. produce or get out

meanwhile coaches have 10 year guaranteed deals even if they lose every single game or most games

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Make a list rules >
* cap on NIL money per player and or team.
* Players can transfer one time in a 5 year period without sitting out a year. If you want to transfer 2-3 times, fine, but it’s going to cost you a year of sitting out every time you do after the first one.
* Can only enter the “portal” after say January 15th to March 1.
* Draft eligible players can opt out of the bowls - one I understand to some degree but don’t like at all.
Have these rules in place and have the balls to enforce them.
If legality is an issue, tell the players they can go form there on league and do whatever the hell they want but if you want to play in this league, these are the rules.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I’m honestly not sure what the powers that be can do any longer that wouldn’t be immediately taken to court and struck down.

They may be able to put some restrictions around tampering and when a player can enter the portal, but that’s about the extent of it as far as I can see. Pandora’s box has been opened, and anything that can even be remotely spun as a case where a larger entity(university, NCAA, etc) is restricting a young athlete’s ability to earn money will be swiftly shot down

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I’m honestly not sure what the powers that be can do any longer that wouldn’t be immediately taken to court and struck down.

They may be able to put some restrictions around tampering and when a player can enter the portal, but that’s about the extent of it as far as I can see. Pandora’s box has been opened, and anything that can even be remotely spun as a case where a larger entity(university, NCAA, etc) is restricting a young athlete’s ability to earn money will be swiftly shot down
Oh yeah, completely agree. The toothpaste is out of the tube and good luck putting it back in

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Make a list rules >
* Players can transfer one time in a 5 year period without sitting out a year. If you want to transfer 2-3 times, fine, but it’s going to cost you a year of sitting out every time you do after the first one.
* Draft eligible players can opt out of the bowls - one I understand to some degree but don’t like at all.
If legality is an issue, tell the players they can go form there on league and do whatever the hell they want but if you want to play in this league, these are the rules.

This would restrict players from getting a spring practice with their new teams, which is harsh for the player and the new school, but good for the original school. I'm think I'm for this.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
It's just like free agency now, no loyalty to a team, strictly "whats in it for me". Constant churning of the roster, dissent in the locker room because somebody's making more $$ than somebody else. Will be interesting to see what Senior Day looks like in a few years, the only Sr's that will take part in it will be the Jrs that transferred in last season or players that rode the bench for 4 years and couldn't find a team in the portal that wanted them......

Exactly. Why even have them attend school at this point. There's no need. They don't need a scholarship. They can pay their own way now. etc. etc.

Bowl games are going to suffer. Look at Bama even. they lost a lot! Nobody even knows what they will field. I highly doubt that their starting QB will even play. Who wants to spend thousands of dollars to go to a bowl game where you don't even know who is going to play?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Make a list rules >
I agree with most of these. One change. Portal is open only after Summer but before the start of the season. That's it. That will protect teams. No transfers at any other time.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's begging for smart regulations. I think most people want players to benefit, but also don't want to feel like their college team is no different than a lesser talented pro team either. A big part of the fun of college football is seeing these guys that buy in to your program develop over the years. If I want plug and play, I already have a superior product in the NFL (and they have regulations as well).

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Exactly. Why even have them attend school at this point. There's no need. They don't need a scholarship. They can pay their own way now. etc. etc.

Bowl games are going to suffer. Look at Bama even. they lost a lot! Nobody even knows what they will field. I highly doubt that their starting QB will even play. Who wants to spend thousands of dollars to go to a bowl game where you don't even know who is going to play?

Completely agree for the big earners, but the problem I see is that this is probably only applicable to what… maybe 5-10% of college athletes? There are a ton of men and women out there that aren’t seeing a dime of NIl money.

In theory, this could be resolved in a variety of ways. Putting a cap on NIL earnings that would still allow you to earn a scholarship, making a simple rule where every dollar of NIL earned results in a $1 reduction in scholarships, etc, but this is the entire problem. “We” just decided we didn’t like something the way it was, so the floodgates were opened with no rules, no ruling entity, or no plan to develop one. It’s a complete shitshow(as expected), and I don’t see it changing. It’s just going to get worse

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
This all comes down to players that are good to elite in college football, but know they have a very limited, or no, ceiling in the NFL. They realize that NIL deals are their closest shot to making some serious money playing football so they are going to team hop like the Easter Bunny on meth to try and get every single penny they can. Unfortunately, for us, we make our living on players like that for most our position players.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
When people stop watching it will change. And I predict that won't take long

My interest in traveling to bowl games is already gone. Unless we play in Vegas, Houston (where I live), or New Orleans, I don't see myself making a financial commitment to watch a gutted roster and uninterested coaching staff try to win a meaningless trophy unless the opponent is super intriguing.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Make a list rules >
So the only limits should be those that primarily affect players. You have this mess today because there's so much money made from college football, but it went to a small percentage of the people involved in college football. Also, a few superwealthy spend a lot of money on college football. The players were supposed to be satisfied with a free education and a few amenities while a few others became millionaires. I suspect most fans think this way. The players didn't, nor did our judicial system, and the players thought they deserved more. Ole Miss is paying Kiffin almost $10 million annually, something few professional coaches actually make. Not surprised players might want to some of enormous amounts of money spent on amateur athletics.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Honestly, for years the pendulum was swung so far in the school's favor that it seems that we overcorrected. I was a proponent of offering players 4 year scholly's and making them stick as opposed to annual renewal at the school's discretion. In the old days once a player was committed to a school, it was pretty easy to either end up effectively "stuck" there, or get processed Saban style. These days a player can reinvent himself without losing playing time so it is hypothetically better for the player, however, many will not make the best long term decision. Pretty hard to balance how much oversight a player should have wrt to what movement is possible and what is not.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

"Who wants to spend thousands of dollars to go to a bowl game where you don't even know who is going to play?" Fans do. We have an emotional bond with the schools we support and we expect the team to do well and make us feel good by winning. Some key players are looking at the system and showing less loyalty to schools than fans have. It's the way business works in the country. Lots of people change jobs looking for something better and lots of businesses don't really show any loyalty to employees. College sports was once different, but the amount of money it generated, and the fact that it went to so few people, gave the players leverage to demand change. They got it the right to make money and loyal fans are left to deal with it.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So the only limits should be those that primarily affect players. You have this mess today because there's so much money made from college football, but it went to a small percentage of the people involved in college football. Also, a few superwealthy spend a lot of money on college football. The players were supposed to be satisfied with a free education and a few amenities while a few others became millionaires. I suspect most fans think this way. The players didn't, nor did our judicial system, and the players thought they deserved more. Ole Miss is paying Kiffin almost $10 million annually, something few professional coaches actually make. Not surprised players might want to some of enormous amounts of money spent on amateur athletics.
Exactly. You could see this coming a mile away. Coaching salaries have been ridiculous for 20 years. Now they have to earn it, and they are complaining.

And as far as the portal, I mean regular students can do it anytime, why not athletes? I have to admit that the only reason I don’t like it is because ‘that’s not how it’s always been done’ which is not a good excuse.

People will still care about it. Now bowl games? Nope. Those are relics of the former era and aren’t worth squat anymore. I mean those guys have raked in money for years after not having to work but a few days a year.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
"Who wants to spend thousands of dollars to go to a bowl game where you don't even know who is going to play?" Fans do. We have an emotional bond with the schools we support and we expect the team to do well and make us feel good by winning. Some key players are looking at the system and showing less loyalty to schools than fans have. It's the way business works in the country. Lots of people change jobs looking for something better and lots of businesses don't really show any loyalty to employees. College sports was once different, but the amount of money it generated, and the fact that it went to so few people, gave the players leverage to demand change. They got it the right to make money and loyal fans are left to deal with it.
We are going to disagree on this.

I 100% believe this will add to bowl losses in attendance.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My interest in traveling to bowl games is already gone. Unless we play in Vegas, Houston (where I live), or New Orleans, I don't see myself making a financial commitment to watch a gutted roster and uninterested coaching staff try to win a meaningless trophy unless the opponent is super intriguing.
Yeah, this is the way I feel. I've been to every bowl since Croom's Liberty Bowl except the 2020 game. Wife & I always looked forward to making it a mini vacation around New Years, but don't think we're going to make this one. Doesn't help that it's on Jan 2nd. But mainly I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere.

And I suppose losing the last 3 I've been to certainly doesn't help. The Belk bowl and last Gator bowl were the only ones we left happy in a long time.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
YOU CAN'T CAP NIL MONEY. That is money they make outside on their own. That is what WAS already in place in that a student athlete was only allowed to make, in my day, like $3,000 a year. Was hard for my teammates that had kids and families.

What can happen is a school can be harshly punished if it is involved with procurring and NIL money for any athlete. They should not be allowed to have any fingers in it at all. It should totally be up to the athlete to find deals and pay their taxes on those earnings. That does not seem to be happening.

Why should student athletes be the only scholarship person on campus with an earnings cap?

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
This whole NIL and portal stuff just makes me sad about college football. I’ve been a State fan for 50+ years. Even as a kid, I got to know who all the players on the team were, who was coming back, and who was graduating. I thought it was magical being able to see all my heroes play…Walter Packer, Rockey Felker, Terry Vitrano, Dennis Johnson, Stan Black, Ray Costict, Harvey Hull, and Danny Knight just to name a few.

Those guys played for Mississippi State University because they loved Mississippi State and they were proud to play for State!

Reactions: AROB44 and Dawg1976

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Make a list rules >
First rule would never survive the courts. Second rule, NCAA is too spineless to enforce because they’re getting their money either way.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
APRIL 8, 2022 - Dabo Swinney - click please

"I think there's going to be a complete blowup ... especially in football, and there needs to be," Swinney told ESPN. "I think eventually there will be some type of break and another division. Right now, you got everybody in one group, and it's not feasible. Alabama has different problems than Middle Tennessee, but we're trying to make them all the same and it's just not. I think you'll have 40 or 50 teams and a commissioner and here are the rules."

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Something HAS to be done. I'm guessing legal challenges are the current road block now but of course I may be wrong on that.
Just go back to requiring the player to sit out one year, like it's always been until recently. That woud eliminate the NIL competition between schools, or at least cut down on it. No one would want to pay somebody to sit on the bench for a year regardless of how good they are.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Make a list rules >
A big problem is bowl games are played between semesters and that’s the perfect time for a student to transfer to another school. I don’t see how the NCAA could restrict the timing of entrance to the portal with that in mind. In some rare instances, we might see a breakout star player on a lower quality team quit before the regular season is over to avoid injury, enter the portal, and be picked up by a much better program. With freedom to tamper with current rosters during the season, I think it’s a matter of time before that happens.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Forever changed and I fear not in a good way. I’m glad players are getting paid but fear there will be fewer scholarships in the long run as a great divide begins to occur between the have and have nots. % of transfer portal entries finding homes is pretty bad.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The problem with trying to regulate a bunch of stuff at this point without there being some sort of Collective Bargaining Agreement you fall under collusion and antitrust issues and are open to all sorts of law suits. A school gives a 1 year scholarship and can run a player off at the schools discretion, but the player has no recourse when the school fails to live up to promises. They still have control even though the 1 year agreement is done. That is how we got here.

You really need to go to a CBA type situation where it can be fairly negotiated about those things.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
A big problem is bowl games are played between semesters and that’s the perfect time for a student to transfer to another school. I don’t see how the NCAA could restrict the timing of entrance to the portal with that in mind. In some rare instances, we might see a breakout star player on a lower quality team quit before the regular season is over to avoid injury, enter the portal, and be picked up by a much better program. With freedom to tamper with current rosters during the season, I think it’s a matter of time before that happens.
The best solution to the portal is to open it from August 15th to September 1st. Period. No transfers at any other time. That would cut down on the tampering during the season too. When teams salivate over breakout players, like a certain team south of us did with 87 this year

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This keeps getting said but does nothing but reflect the entitled attitude of our country.

Universities themselves make 5-6X more than what athletic departments make. However the regular student isn't compensated at all except with scholarships. Where is the regular students cut of 100s of millions of dollars the academic side of the university makes?

the guy working 3rd shift at FedEx. Why isn't he making as much as the CEO?

Fact of the matter, these players were already well take care of with scholarships and other perks above and under the table. But nope, that just wasn't good enough. Give me give me. More more more

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

Well they’ve yet to develop a structure to restrict coaching movement and that’s been going on forever. What makes us think anyone associated with college athletics will develop a structure to restrict player movement?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This keeps getting said but does nothing but reflect the entitled attitude of our country.

Universities themselves make 5-6X more than what athletic departments make. However the regular student isn't compensated at all except with scholarships. Where is the regular students cut of 100s of millions of dollars the academic side of the university makes?

the guy working 3rd shift at FedEx. Why isn't he making as much as the CEO?

Fact of the matter, these players were already well take care of with scholarships and other perks above and under the table. But nope, that just wasn't good enough. Give me give me. More more more
It's disgusting that people want to make more money in an industry where a few people make most of the money. Those are just ungrateful, bad people, unlike me. I would never think that way and just be satisfied with whatever I'm given. Kids these days. FYI, I don't think the players are asking to make as much as the CEO. At major universities, coaches and AD's typically make more than the CEO of the university. I do think you could make a great argument that tuition and fees are way too high and that a lot of universities have administrative and staff bloat, speaking of entitled people, but you just focused on the players and their inability to accept what they're given because they apparently feel entitled to something that prior generations didn't and that's a bad thing, I guess. Kiffin deserves $10 million annually and the players just deserve a schollie, some swag and a weekly allowance. I agree that this is a screwed up situation. It doesn't help that I'm a State fan and not a fan of a major college with lots of cash and a large endowment. I might think differently if I were an LSU fan, a school with a lot of cash for amateur athletics, a great recruiting base, and rich donors willing to throw a lot of cash at amateur athletes. I could be a fan living a modest life with all the sports channels knowing that the wealthy in those suites make it rain and give star athletes great NIL's so that I can feel emotionally satisfied when they win on Saturdays. I also can say screw college sports and stop watching and find some other hobby. It's awash in money and kids and adults looking to cash in and fans looking to be entertained and feel good emotionally so we can say GTHOM with great satisfaction. I'm too emotionally invested in college sports. I like it so it's hard to stop watching (I don't seem to have that issue with the Saints this year, though). My wife and kids don't care, they don't watch sports, they have other hobbies that allow them to enjoy life. Perhaps they have a better perspective on life.

Reactions: Maroon13

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm tired of these ungrateful players, but I do hope we give Arnett whatever he wants so we can keep him. Will $2 million be enough? $2.5 million?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Just go back to requiring the player to sit out one year, like it's always been until recently. That woud eliminate the NIL competition between schools, or at least cut down on it. No one would want to pay somebody to sit on the bench for a year regardless of how good they are.
Agree. Feels like they changed too many variables at once. From an engineering perspective that’s a sure way to extend the problem solving process

Reactions: DerHntr

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It's disgusting that people want to make more money in an industry where a few people make most of the money. Those are just ungrateful, bad people, unlike me. I would never think that way and just be satisfied with whatever I'm given. Kids these days. FYI, I don't think the players are asking to make as much as the CEO. At major universities, coaches and AD's typically make more than the CEO of the university. I do think you could make a great argument that tuition and fees are way too high and that a lot of universities have administrative and staff bloat, speaking of entitled people, but you just focused on the players and their inability to accept what they're given because they apparently feel entitled to something that prior generations didn't and that's a bad thing, I guess. Kiffin deserves $10 million annually and the players just deserve a schollie, some swag and a weekly allowance. I agree that this is a screwed up situation. It doesn't help that I'm a State fan and not a fan of a major college with lots of cash and a large endowment. I might think differently if I were an LSU fan, a school with a lot of cash for amateur athletics, a great recruiting base, and rich donors willing to throw a lot of cash at amateur athletes. I could be a fan living a modest life with all the sports channels knowing that the wealthy in those suites make it rain and give star athletes great NIL's so that I can feel emotionally satisfied when they win on Saturdays. I also can say screw college sports and stop watching and find some other hobby. It's awash in money and kids and adults looking to cash in and fans looking to be entertained and feel good emotionally so we can say GTHOM with great satisfaction. I'm too emotionally invested in college sports. I like it so it's hard to stop watching (I don't seem to have that issue with the Saints this year, though). My wife and kids don't care, they don't watch sports, they have other hobbies that allow them to enjoy life. Perhaps they have a better perspective on life.
Salary and pay gaps are in business, government jobs....everywhere there is the labor and bosses and the company, the pay varies greatly.

Everyone must start somewhere and nowhere in this great country is the starting labor paid what the upper management is paid. (I compare CEO salary to labor because y'all keep mentioning Kiffins salary but not the DC or OC or QB coach or LB coach or even equipment manager).

The SEC and its members is the brand that demands the TV contract and thus makes the money. That brand was built for many years by many different people. So everyone acts like if "THAT ATHLETE" wasn't on the field, none of this possible. Well sure it is. There are numerous people to take one's place if one feels taken advantage of.

Anyways, I digress. I know I am in the vast minority of this. However, I will say I wouldn't care if the players stipends were greatly increased because of TV money. However, this NIL.....needs to really be for NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS. Not an above the table bid war for bodys.

Meanwhile MSU will make $500 million next year and my kid will have to beg and plead with a RA for a sturdy desk chair.... all while she pays $9,000 a year for a dorm room.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"But to my point, everyone must start somewhere and nowhere in this great country is the starting labor paid what the upper manage is paid. (I compare CEO salary to labor because y'all keep mentioning Kiffins salary but not the DC or LB coach or even equipment manager)."
Are any players actually asking to be paid what CEO's make? That's not happening so I don't see that as a valid point. They just want some money in an industry that generates incredible amounts of money. As fans we're asking primarily young, black males who are lower middle class or lower class to accept what they're given because we buy tickets, are loyal, etc. and we want to be compensated emotionally for our dollars by having these young atheletes do well and accept what we think is appropriate compensation for their labor. They think otherwise. They aren't wrong and they don't have character flaws for thinking that way.

"Meanwhile MSU will make $500 million next year and my kid will have to beg and plead with a RA for a sturdy desk chair.... all while she pays $9,000 a year for a dorm room." Don't accept that. The cost of a university education is outrageous. Fix that system. What are our elected leaders doing about this? I have two degrees from State. My daughter was given a scholly to State. She's been awarded more to attend college elsewhere which is gonna save me some money. If she chooses to go where she gets the most financial support, she has my blessing. That's a good choice even though I'm a State fan (she's not going to Ole Miss).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login