New Scholarship Limit Effect on Walk-ons

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So, there's some griping from head coaches about how the increased number of scholarships will affect walk-ons.

Some of these quotes just don't make sense to me.

---------------------------------

North Carolina head coach Mack Brown said the son of passing game coordinator Lonnie Galloway, the son of a trustee, and sons of several former Tar Heels players are all among the walk-ons in Chapel Hill, and if the situation isn't addressed, he'll have to cut all of them loose.

"I have to tell them in January they can't play football anymore. That's the hardest thing for kids. The money's crazy, but we'll deal with all that. But telling a kid that's been on your team and done everything right that you can't play football anymore?"

------------------------------

Why does he have to 'cut all of them loose'? To make room on his roster for more scholarship players? I mean... that's his choice. All he has to do is give those guys a scholarship to keep them on the team, right?

-------------------------------

Swinney pointed to Florida State's appearance in the 2023 Orange Bowl when 20 regulars missed the game due to opt-outs or transfer.

"Mike Norvell would've had to forfeit the Orange Bowl without walk-ons," he said. "It's going to be a problem. There's going to be some bowl games not played."

------------------------------

He had 20 regulars miss. They're increasing scholarship limits by 20 players. FSU would have theoretically had 20 more scholarship players to pull from last year. What am I missing?

So, my understanding is that since there's no longer a limit on the number of scholarships offered (just a limit on roster size), that means any player on the team will basically get a scholarship, right? To me, it sounds like they're upset that the walk-ons are no longer playing for free. Somebody educate me because I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
The Mack Brown quote is such a cop out. Blaming the new rule for cutting kids.

If you’re going to cut a walk-on at least be up front with the kid.

Have the guts to tell him: “Sorry, Jimmy.. now that I can offer 20 more scholarships it means I can find somebody better than you to take that 4th string slot receiver position.”

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
You don’t have to give all 105 players a scholarship. You can still have 20 walk ons if you want. But if you want to give the guys who used to walk on a scholarship, you can now.

Reactions: Dawgg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
At this point, why not have a open invitation for “walk ons”
No way teams can fulfill 105 full scholarships unless they want to go sit on the bench for 4-5 years.
So, invite walk ons and you may find 3-4 guys worthy of getting a full ride.
This whole thing tho of NIL, multiple transfers in the Portal, conference BS realignment, 105 scholarships, .etc is just insane and I don’t think it’s sustainable.
But my give a 17’s to care what happens is almost fully exhausted.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The coaches asked for this shlt. I feel no remorse. They made millions while the players made nothing.

which makes me think of Saban as just another selfish boomer. Come at me, bro.

Unfortunately it’s the FUTURE coaches that suffer, not the ones who benefitted all this time. Have to love life in America. Saban’s grandkids are set forever. It’s so 17ed up, I can’t wrap my mind around it.

So maybe I do feel remorse? But this isn’t just coach innovation - we had a fundamental shift. Coaches now get more screwed than ever.

system is bipolar

Reactions: patdog

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
At this point, why not have a open invitation for “walk ons”
No way teams can fulfill 105 full scholarships unless they want to go sit on the bench for 4-5 years.
So, invite walk ons and you may find 3-4 guys worthy of getting a full ride.
This whole thing tho of NIL, multiple transfers in the Portal, conference BS realignment, 105 scholarships, .etc is just insane and I don’t think it’s sustainable.
But my give a 17’s to care what happens is almost fully exhausted.
But that’s actually the way it’s always worked with Walk On’s - you have 1-2 available scholarships that are left over and you promote a guy that’s been on the Scout Team or you hold open tryouts for a punter or a special teams need.
It just bow going to be 105 v 85 which again is insane.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There will be a lot of teams to give walk On's scholarships. A lot of schools will not give the full 105. Don't have the money. Somehow, I think this is all part of the plan for the p4 to break away from NCAA and to control NIL with revenue sharing. I think some big doners are feeling ripped off by many of these guys who take the money and drive off in their nice sports cars.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So, my understanding is that since there's no longer a limit on the number of scholarships offered (just a limit on roster size), that means any player on the team will basically get a scholarship, right? To me, it sounds like they're upset that the walk-ons are no longer playing for free. Somebody educate me because I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something.
I am guessing they think they are no longer allowed to have unlimited players. Not sure how it is now, but when I was in school, you had people "on the team" that would only get to dress out for homecoming (and maybe some that didn't even get to dress out for that). No chance they'd ever get to dress out for away games or have any money spent on them traveling. Basically they were scout team tackling or blocking dummies and cost the school nothing except a little bit of swag and some practice equipment, and one game a year the equipment guys would have to figure out how to have an extra couple dozen game ready sets of jerseys and equipment. Some of those guys got treated a little better, either because they had a long shot of developing into players or because they were connected to boosters.

I really don't see how this is going to be an issue. With 105 roster spots, that still was probably as big or bigger than the most people that ever dressed out at home? With that many roster spots, you don't need the long shots anymore; you can offer scholarships to better players and hope the long shots turn into something at another school that you can poach from. With 105 spots, you should still be able to make room for the booster's kids, as long as there aren't like 10 in each class.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This **** is going to roll downhill fast - as **** always does. Mack can kiss my ***. If he feels bad enough, he can give those kids he claims he's worried about a full scholly. He won't. First time I've ever used this term but it's nothing but virtue signaling. 17 Mack Brown.

But who really cares about Mack Brown's image. My worry is that Bama and LSU now have 40 extra slots to take their tweeners that we'd normally rely on for key/essential recruiting pieces. They get stronger and we get weaker.

We will do the same to Memphis, USM, Tulane, etc. This is short term gains for the blue chip programs to the long term detriment of the sport top down. Football programs don't need to be 4-5 deep at every position. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: Dawgg and CDawg08

patdog

May 28, 2007
There will be a lot of teams to give walk On's scholarships. A lot of schools will not give the full 105. Don't have the money. Somehow, I think this is all part of the plan for the p4 to break away from NCAA and to control NIL with revenue sharing. I think some big don!ers are feeling ripped off by many of these guys who take the money and drive off in their nice sports cars.
There will be some kind of a break between the P4 and the rest of Div I. But it will be within the NCAA. The NCAA will accommodate them rather than losing them.

Reactions: GloryDawg and Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This **** is going to roll downhill fast - as **** always does. Mack can kiss my ***. If he feels bad enough, he can give those kids he claims he's worried about a full scholly. He won't. First time I've ever used this term but it's nothing but virtue signaling. 17 Mack Brown.

But who really cares about Mack Brown's image. My worry is that Bama and LSU now have 40 extra slots to take their tweeners that we'd normally rely on for key/essential recruiting pieces. They get stronger and we get weaker.

We will do the same to Memphis, USM, Tulane, etc. This is short term gains for the blue chip programs to the long term detriment of the sport top down. Football programs don't need to be 4-5 deep at every position. It's ridiculous.
I’m gonna be watching the G5 myself. Maybe USM or Kennesaw State can be my team.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There will be some kind of a break between the P4 and the rest of Div I. But it will be within the NCAA. The NCAA will accommodate them rather than losing them.
No question that’s about to happen. And when they try and go head to head with the NFL…..good luck Sankey

patdog

May 28, 2007
No question that’s about to happen. And when they try and go head to head with the NFL…..good luck Sankey
They’re smart enough to know they can’t go head to head with the NFL. That’s why we get such bad dates & times for the playoffs. They’re dodging the NFL.

Reactions: GloryDawg

CDawg08

Oct 5, 2022
Basically the blue blood programs will now have 20 more scholarships to offer to players that would go to a different school because said blue blood was out of scholarships. So the blue blood programs in essence pad their rosters at the expense of the none blue bloods

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
For years, I've been hoping for a 25% reduction in football scholarships as that would help increase parity and selfishly increase my interest.
Looks like I will keep hoping.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
with NIL number of scholarships is irrelevant. in fact they should be completely limited

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
with NIL number of scholarships is irrelevant. in fact they should be completely limited
Saying scholarships are irrelevant doesn't make them irrelevant.
I get the concept you are pushing, but I don't think its real in application.

Limiting roster size, thru total size and scholarship numbers, helps spread talent and maintain competitiveness. Competitiveness largely creates and retains fan base interest.

More scholarships just furthers the talent divide.

CDawg08

Oct 5, 2022
The Alabama’s Georgia’s and Ohio State’s of college football are trying to insure they get to keep the built in advantages they’ve always enjoyed. Parity weakens their strangle hold on the game and they will go scorched earth to protect it.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Not watching one college football game this fall, unless I am in the stands at Davis-Wade or make the trek to Tempe and Austin.

Overall college football has been a joke for more than 20 years now.

Now it's an even sadder joke and will soon be an ugly one.

Be thankful we're not under the illusion OM is. They are going to throw ash it ton of money around and they will never reach blue blood status.

It doesn't matter anymore. If it ever did. The Emperor has no clothes.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not watching one college football game this fall, unless I am in the stands at Davis-Wade or make the trek to Tempe and Austin.

Be thankful we're not under the illusion OM is. They are going to throw ash it ton of money around and they will never reach blue blood status.

I'll watch 11 (not the I-AA game that will be ESPN+ only). Plus maybe the semi-finals and finals of the playoffs. Other than Mississippi State, I'll be watching Premier League and NFL on the fall weekends.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The Mack Brown quote is such a cop out. Blaming the new rule for cutting kids.

If you’re going to cut a walk-on at least be up front with the kid.

Have the guts to tell him: “Sorry, Jimmy.. now that I can offer 20 more scholarships it means I can find somebody better than you to take that 4th string slot receiver position.”
Concur, football is a meritocracy, if you're not good enough to make the team, then you're not good enough.

Reactions: CDawg08 and patdog

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Bear Bryant just called in from the other side. He likes the move to 105.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

You're right. It used to matter. It was almost an extension of your own personal self-worth (not REALLY, but you know what I mean - those Eggbowl water cooler Mondays used to get kind of tense). I could literally care less these days.

I have no idea why they so desperately want to turn this into the NFL. The NFL is entertainment, a TV product. It works because it's the highest level of football in the world.

If I had to guess the height of college football 'mattering' to the most people, it was probably from about 1990-2010, or thereabouts. Bama's dominance, the playoff, the money, etc. pretty much ushered in this new era that we see.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
2010 was probably it. Interestingly enough, the way we crumbled at the end of 2014, (Dan's shopping himself around or not), how that first playoff process unfolded and how it seemed the fix was in, it all just felt wrong.

To me the highwater mark of MS football after the 1980 season will be the 2010 GatorBowl against Michigan. Since then, I haven't enjoyed an MSU football game more than that one.

The three game stretch where we reached #1 in 2014 was fun, but those victories were pretty hollow before season's end. Maybe if we'd have looked competitive in the Orange Bowl that year it would have been different, but we were playing Ga Tech for 17 sake and they weren't that good either and we were awful.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login