New Sports Streaming Service Coming

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Care to guess a price tag for this one when it comes?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'd think $30/month would be about tops they could charge unless you're getting some stuff you don't otherwise get with youtube tv

Reactions: Dawgg

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Looks like the only thing it’s missing is CBS and NBC and they have their own services for now. Nice to finally have a way to get Fox without cable/satellite or some other all inclusive service like YouTube TV.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Looks like the only thing it’s missing is CBS and NBC and they have their own services for now. Nice to finally have a way to get Fox without cable/satellite or some other all inclusive service like YouTube TV.
Can you not get Fox with an antenna, on the Coast, Coast_Dawg?

patdog

May 28, 2007
F it. I’ll watch what I can watch on cable and I won’t watch if I can’t. There’s not much of anything I care about enough to pay for a streaming service.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
F it. I’ll watch what I can watch on cable and I won’t watch if I can’t. There’s not much of anything I care about enough to pay for a streaming service.
I'm the opposite. Sports is the only reason I would ever even consider a cable/satellite/Live TV provider. I think it's the only tether a lot of folks have to their existing Cable and Satellite subscriptions.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Can you not get Fox with an antenna, on the Coast, Coast_Dawg?
It’s sketchy for me down here. I have tried antennas since way back before DirecTV even offered locals with no luck. It’s weird because I only live 15 miles from Biloxi and 40 miles from Mobile. But I’ve tried everything from the big *** thing in my attic to cheap and expensive HD antennas and none of them have worked worth a damn.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It’s sketchy for me down here. I have tried antennas since way back before DirecTV even offered locals with no luck. It’s weird because I only live 15 miles from Biloxi and 40 miles from Mobile. But I’ve tried everything from the big *** thing in my attic to cheap and expensive HD antennas and none of them have worked worth a damn.
In Orange Beach I can pick up 55 channels including Fox. These sports packages are very much welcomed for me as that is the only reason I subscribe to YTTV or Sling in the Fall. Now if they charge something unreasonable like $50 it won't be a very good deal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm the opposite. Sports is the only reason I would ever even consider a cable/satellite/Live TV provider. I think it's the only tether a lot of folks have to their existing Cable and Satellite subscriptions.
Correct. You can pretty much get any local channel another way nowadays, through some cheap streaming service. Live sports gets you - it’s the golden/sacred cow, whatever the phrase is.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Correct. You can pretty much get any local channel another way nowadays, through some cheap streaming service. Live sports gets you - it’s the golden/sacred cow, whatever the phrase is.
Or, if you're in a metro or semi-metro area, regular old rabbit ears will work.

I'm in the DFW metroplex and get something like 70 OTA channels including the major networks.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't even go that far. I don't pay for any streaming services or cable other than Amazon Prime which is $11.58/mo (if you pay for the year up front) and covers for the stuff I use Prime Video, Freevie, the free Amazon shipping, Amazon Music for streaming music and podcasts, Amazon Photos which is free unlimited photo storage, Amazon Reading which is free books and magazine downloads, and I'm looking at Amazon RxPass which gives you all of your generic meds for a total of $5/month for all of them, not $5 each but $5 total. Otherwise I use an antenna which even in Starkville gets me all of the network channels and their sub channels (19 total I believe) and we have Roku's in every room that I use for all the freebie apps

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That's odd, but some antennas are directional and only pick up signals from a certain area or direction Some are UHF or VHF only so you need to check and see which type channels you want want and if they are compatible with your antenna. You can check where your signals originate from and what type signal it is on a website like Antenna Web. There are apps to show you where to aim your antenna for which channels too, they have a built in compass and will tell you which direction to turn the antenna. Even in Starkville I get 19 channels and on good days some additional ones from Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. Some are useless channels like the screaming Baptist, the Spanish speaking Catholic, etc though

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I've lived in Gport, Biloxi, and Diamondhead. For a while after Katrina, Directv did not provide locals due to a contract issue. Plus, for a while our Wednesday Bball games were aired on the secondary channel of one of the locals, only available OTA. So I fought this for a good bit. One problem is the antennas for the various local channels are nowhere near each other. 2 come from one antenna in North Gulfport I believe, with the other two coming from either Mobile or New Orleans. Which means a nondirectional antenna has trouble picking up the latter(too far), but a directional one won't be pointing at one or the other. The airport and the air base don't help either. The digital switch compounded this problem. Currently I have an old manually directional antenna (two extendable and fully movable poles) run through a powered Amp. It will pick up either if I point it just right. Ideally, two attic antennas pointed right and with the signals combined would work, but I've never bothered.

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
In Orange Beach I can pick up 55 channels including Fox. These sports packages are very much welcomed for me as that is the only reason I subscribe to YTTV or Sling in the Fall. Now if they charge something unreasonable like $50 it won't be a very good deal.
What kind of antenna do you have?
I live in OB in a subdivision next to the wharf and I have not found a good antenna yet

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I'm in Flohood and can't get CBS. I get a hundred other channels and everyone around me gets CBS. Tried errything. Fortunately I can get it via Prime.
In Flowood as well. CBS is a crapshoot with inside antennas. if the wind blows just right and you have it near a window you MIGHT get CBS on a scan. But I installed a cheap RCA Walmart antenna in my attic and get it no problem.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
What kind of antenna do you have?
I live in OB in a subdivision next to the wharf and I have not found a good antenna yet
I'm not sure if it's this exact one but it looks like it. I'm not there right now as it's a vacation condo. I had trouble with Fox initially but after just moving it a few inches it got it. I'm on Wolf Bay not far from Doc's.
Couldn't get it to copy the link but the below is the device from Amazon.

RCA ANT121Z Durable Passive Indoor Antenna Black​

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In Flowood as well. CBS is a crapshoot with inside antennas. if the wind blows just right and you have it near a window you MIGHT get CBS on a scan. But I installed a cheap RCA Walmart antenna in my attic and get it no problem.
We have a big antenna in the attic, no dice with CBS. Our house must be at just the right angle to be blocked. It will come in and out, more out than in.

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
I'm not sure if it's this exact one but it looks like it. I'm not there right now as it's a vacation condo. I had trouble with Fox initially but after just moving it a few inches it got it. I'm on Wolf Bay not far from Doc's.
Couldn't get it to copy the link but the below is the device from Amazon.

RCA ANT121Z Durable Passive Indoor Antenna Black​

Thanks sir
I’m in cypress village
Maybe I’ll get you a beer sometime
Thanks again

Reactions: Dawg1976

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I'm in Flohood and can't get CBS. I get a hundred other channels and everyone around me gets CBS. Tried errything. Fortunately I can get it via Prime.
It’s virtually impossible to pick up in Madison/Gluckstadt too. ETA: I have the same type of antenna you do.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
No streaming services at all, or just not sports specific? If you are making it on just cable, I'm a little jealous that I can't rewire my mentality away from the perceived need for choices that translates into a real hit to my finances.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Or, if you're in a metro or semi-metro area, regular old rabbit ears will work.

I'm in the DFW metroplex and get something like 70 OTA channels including the major networks.
The infrastructure required to maintain OTA capabilities is non-trivial. I'm surprised that they still do that, but maybe they have to per FCC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No streaming services at all, or just not sports specific? If you are making it on just cable, I'm a little jealous that I can't rewire my mentality away from the perceived need for choices that translates into a real hit to my finances.
Cable only for me. I do stream from a couple of free platforms (like YouTube) occasionally. But the whole idea of live streaming where I'm tied down to their schedule, and using different interfaces for each service, is just too much of a PITA for me.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't even go that far. I don't pay for any streaming services or cable other than Amazon Prime which is $11.58/mo (if you pay for the year up front) and covers for the stuff I use Prime Video, Freevie, the free Amazon shipping, Amazon Music for streaming music and podcasts, Amazon Photos which is free unlimited photo storage, Amazon Reading which is free books and magazine downloads, and I'm looking at Amazon RxPass which gives you all of your generic meds for a total of $5/month for all of them, not $5 each but $5 total. Otherwise I use an antenna which even in Starkville gets me all of the network channels and their sub channels (19 total I believe) and we have Roku's in every room that I use for all the freebie apps
Prime Video just went to limited ads unless you pay more, or at least I got a notice that it was happening.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
All religious channels should be banned from tv.
God's Favor | You don't know how God is working in your life right now.  Where did you get that strength to withstand the temptation? How are you  able to keep a

Benny Hinn - Holy Spirit's FIRE Flowing In Greenville, SC on Make a GIF

BAD BOY BIBLE THUMPERS: Falwell Jr. just the latest ensnared by 'Satan's  agents' | Toronto Sun

• Haha

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Prime Video just went to limited ads unless you pay more, or at least I got a notice that it was happening.
Yep something like $1.99/mo or $2.99 maybe???? Short ads just give me a chance to go get another beer or pee, or both........I just hate seeing the same ones over and over and over, like "Old Spice Swagguh" and "Paxlovid for Covid" on Youtube right now, every single break

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Cable only for me. I do stream from a couple of free platforms (like YouTube) occasionally. But the whole idea of live streaming where I'm tied down to their schedule, and using different interfaces for each service, is just too much of a PITA for me.
I said from the beginning that streaming would eventually cost as much as cable. I use the credentials of my parents who have cable to get a bunch of streaming apps that would otherwise cost. I'm sure that will be cracked down on eventually though.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login