New Starkville Biz Thread

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
It's that time of year again. The students have headed back to their homelands to recuperate before their next invasion in August. That doesn't mean the town's dead by any means...

1. The Breakfast Club is now The Joint, a Texas-style BBQ spot from the folks at Bluto's and Taste

2. Boardtown Pizza should be back soon.

3. L'Uva and Bluto's are phenomenal spots between the District and Downtown

4. Mark Castelberry has bought the old Korean Church downtown and will be renovating it for potential buyers.

5. The old BJ's Pharmacy is now The Coffee Depot, super coffee and baked goods.

6. Expect to see an announcement for multiple boutique hotels soon.

7. There's an ax throwing and bowling alley place going in the old Owens Outfitters.

8. Hobby Lobby and a Books-A-Million will be breaking ground soon.

9. Cornerstone Park is finally usable for games and tournaments. Just a few finishing touches left.

10. Commodore Bob's steak nights on Tuesday's might be one of the best deals in America.

11. Last but not least, a group out of Denver has purchased State Theater. They're about to start renovating it soon. They recognized the potential it has as an actual music venue.

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Good stuff Archer. The “Midtown” area has really developed. Awesome to see. Although I feel like it has cannibalized downtown some.

Reactions: ArcherSPS

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
It's that time of year again. The students have headed back to their homelands to recuperate before their next invasion in August. That doesn't mean the town's dead by any means...

1. The Breakfast Club is now The Joint, a Texas-style BBQ spot from the folks at Bluto's and Taste

4. Mark Castelberry has bought the old Korean Church downtown and will be renovating it for potential buyers

5. The old BJ's Pharmacy is now The Coffee Depot, super coffee and bake goods

7. There's an ax throwing and bowling alley place going in the old Owen's Outfitters

8. Hobby Lobby and a Books-A-Million will be breaking ground soon

9. Last but not least, a group out of Denver has purchased State Theater. They're about to start renovating it soon. They recognized the potential it has as an actual music venue.
Ready for Boardtown to be back, love that place. Very excited about The Joint.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Thanks for doing these, I live here and haven't heard of some of this. Nice to see the progress continue.

I'd add that I also like to see the amount of repurposing of existing structures I see around town versus building new and letting things sit abandoned and rust to the ground. Fred's, Nucor, CSC->BBB and what ever the "imaging" place is next door. Owen's, wing place and medical something across from Kroger, etc.
Most interesting to me is an old metal garage on Industrial I couldn't believe someone was fixing up and seemingly putting a lot of money in over the past year. I'll be darned is it doesn't look like a micro coffee roaster or something operation and looks nice. Be nice if someone could do something with all of the Flex Steel property around it.

Seems we are past the "signage flap" and everybody is playing nice, site cleared the old "orange car wash" and abandoned brick house across from Sonic on 12 and paving and sewer work all over the place. Slow steady progress that's nice to see.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

4. Mark Castelberry has bought the old Korean Church downtown and will be renovating it for potential buyers.

5. The old BJ's Pharmacy is now The Coffee Depot, super coffee and baked goods.

7. There's an ax throwing and bowling alley place going in the old Owens Outfitters.

8. Hobby Lobby and a Books-A-Million will be breaking ground soon.

9. Cornerstone Park is finally usable for games and tournaments. Just a few finishing touches left.

10. Commodore Bob's steak nights on Tuesday's might be one of the best deals in America.

11. Last but not least, a group out of Denver has purchased State Theater. They're about to start renovating it soon. They recognized the potential it has as an actual music venue.
Great report, Starkville has come a long way over the last 20 years, but it's just on the cusp, i see great things continuing to happen.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Also, the laundromat is being converted into a bar/event space/music venue with a significant rooftop bar space. Will be called the Landing and hoping to be open in Spring 2024
Isn't the university planning to build a hotel just across Col. Muldrow from the laundromat?

Reactions: rankindog86

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Also, the laundromat is being converted into a bar/event space/music venue with a significant rooftop bar space. Will be called the Landing and hoping to be open in Spring 2024
Yep! Knew I forgot something.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You buried the lede:

You know anything about the group?

Does anyone involved have actual promotional experience (e.g., owns & runs other venues now or in the past)?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Any news on the old Vowells/Food Max location? An Ace Hardware and Corner Market were going to go, but rumors that Corner Market has backed out

rankindog86

Aug 22, 2012
Great list! I love watching Starkville grow!

Of this whole list I hope #11 actually works out. State Theater in the right hands could be great!

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One thing the city/county needs to do is get ahold of the the towing situation. It's out of hand. If someone is parked illegally boot their vehicle and charge $150 (or whatever), to get if off, this would be easy/cheaper for the towing companies and individuals. If an apartment lot is full (absolutely no empty spaces), then towing is justified.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Any news on the old Vowells/Food Max location? An Ace Hardware and Corner Market were going to go, but rumors that Corner Market has backed out

I love them but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if Corner Market backed out.

Starkville seems like an odd location for them since they’re mostly concentrated in the Jackson & Pine Belt areas.

If Corner Market wants to go up 25, they could but I’d think they’d look more at Madison and Rankin counties as well as maybe Clinton.

Looking at the supermarket chains in Tupelo… Walmart, Kroger, Aldi— which Starkville has already…

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Last I heard Ace Hdwr was still a GO but Corner Market is indeed dead, Aldi coming to town caused that I was told. I'm way less than impressed with Aldi though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login