new transfer eligibility rule

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

Free agency is only getting worse. The only things left are removing transfer windows and allowing players to play for multiple teams in the same season.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This is beyond ridiculous. The next thing you know, coaches are going to be allowed to shop around to the highest bidder before the basketball season is even over.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What a crock of horse shat, transfer and play right away as many times you want to during the two windows. The further the can is opened, the more worms that fall out and pretty soon its going to be too late to try and gather them up. I'm done supporting this crap but I reserve the right to be-otch about is as long as there is a forum here to do so on.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yep. Next rule on the chopping block is 4-year limit on eligibility. 20 years from now, you're going to have guys in their 30s playing for their 10th college sports program. (I'm actually not sure if I'm being sarcastic or serious with this one).
I said this to my dad and he was like 'no way. what is happening right now is crazy, but nobody is going to keep playing past 5 years'.
I said I really dont see why that rule would be able to stand, if so many other rules that have also been in place to restrict players, have fallen at record pace.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
At the very least they should expand eligibility to 5 years since that's how it's been lately and it's been good

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I said this to my dad and he was like 'no way. what is happening right now is crazy, but nobody is going to keep playing past 5 years'.
I said I really dont see why that rule would be able to stand, if so many other rules that have also been in place to restrict players, have fallen at record pace.
That’s the ultimate player restriction though. If a career NFL scout team type talent (or even late round NFL draft pick talent) can make $200k per year until they’re 30 and keep playing college ball (while transferring around as they see fit), you then have hundreds of roster spots not available for incoming high school players. The worst of them would have to drop down to FCS, get no chance of any real NIL benefits, and water down the overall pool substantially. Hard to see that path really being preferable for enough players for it to become applicable.

Only way it could possibly work is if you completely decoupled the education / academic eligibility side and just went full pro sports with it. Really hard to see someone attending random classes for 10 years straight and continuing to pay tuition just to keep playing football. In that case, you’d also completely kill college football as a whole - officially - and really no one is going to give a crap about it anymore. Many people, myself included, are already at that point.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Can't wait for someone to transfer to the other team at halftime because he gets offered an extra $1 per week in NIL. Looks like we're gonna have to reach peak silliness before the adults take charge.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That’s the ultimate player restriction though. If a career NFL scout team type talent (or even late round NFL draft pick talent) can make $200k per year until they’re 30 and keep playing college ball (while transferring around as they see fit), you then have hundreds of roster spots not available for incoming high school players. The worst of them would have to drop down to FCS, get no chance of any real NIL benefits, and water down the overall pool substantially. Hard to see that path really being preferable for enough players for it to become applicable.

Only way it could possibly work is if you completely decoupled the education / academic eligibility side and just went full pro sports with it. Really hard to see someone attending random classes for 10 years straight and continuing to pay tuition just to keep playing football. In that case, you’d also completely kill college football as a whole - officially - and really no one is going to give a crap about it anymore. Many people, myself included, are already at that point.

Have to sit out 1 year if you transfer- gone.
Cant make money off your name or image- gone.
Cant play a game and still redshirt- gone.
School can block where a player can transfer to- gone.
Have 5 to play 4- gone(in many scenarios now).
Also, Players/teams are now allowed to collectively bargain.

All these were significant player restrictions that have been eliminated in recent years. All of them were questioned with the logic of 'can a regular student or even one that is receiving scholarships from the university do these things or are they limited too?' and in each instance, a regular student can do whatever they want without penalty.
The last domino to fall will be the biggest, but there is no actual difference that would justify keeping it up. What actual legal justification is there to keep a student athlete from competing for as long as they want to compete(and as long as schools want them to compete), when you take into account the 6 recent changes I mention above?

I am not saying I want the last domino to fall, but I definitely cant see why it should continue to stand, considering all of the related changes.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Can't wait for someone to transfer to the other team at halftime because he gets offered an extra $1 per week in NIL. Looks like we're gonna have to reach peak silliness before the adults take charge.
I kinda think it would be awesome for about half of each roster to just switch jerseys at halftime to highlight the ridiculousness that has set in.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I am rapidly transferring myself over to the “don’t care anymore” section of the fan portal. We had a good run, but it is just about over. All sports, not just football.

Reactions: Dawgbite

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
On the bright side we’ll eventually be able to snag a couple of guest players from Bama when they have a bye week

Free agency is only getting worse. The only things left are removing transfer windows and allowing players to play for multiple teams in the same season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login