Next Head Coach - Who's really out there?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Let's have a real conversation about the 'what ifs' and 'who would?' if we were to really pull the trigger after season 1 and limit it to the traditional Mississippi State pool of candidates:
Bottom Half Power 5 Head Coaches
Power 5 Coordinators/Position coaches
Good but not world beating Retired/Semi-retired/former head coaches
Group of 5 Head Coaches

Bottom Half Power 5 Head Coaches - This would be ranked/RV schools at or below State in terms of Power 5 prestige:
Washington State - Jake Dickert
Oregon State - Johnathan Smith
Duke - Mike Elko
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Kansas - Lance Leipold
Missouri - Eli Drinkwitz
Louisville - Jeff Brohm
Kansas State - Chris Klieman
West Virginia - Neal Brown
Colorado - Deion Sanders
Maryland - Mike Locksley

Power 5 Coordinator/Position Coaches - If you look at the last 5 of these (Felker, Croom, Mullen, Moorhead, Arnett), we hit on one of them (Mullen), so I think we've gotten bitten by the coordinator bug too many times to go down this path again, but I kept it on the list because you just know some of the fanbase is going to get all jazzed up at the idea of the OC of one of the CFP semifinalists or a Heisman finalist being in our candidate pool. I'll throw one name out there:
Ryan Grubb - Washington OC

Group of 5 Head Coaches - Right now, the only ranked/RV G5 programs are:
Fresno State - Jeff Tedford
Tulane - Willie Fritz
Air Force - Troy Calhoun
James Madison - Curt Cignetti
Wyoming - Craig Bohl
Marshall - Charles Huff
Memphis - Ryan Silverfield

Retired/Semi-retired/former head coaches - This one is going to be rife with wild speculation. My rando name to throw out there would be:
Chris Petersen

For me personally, I think we NEED head coaching experience (preferably P5 head coaching experience) as a program.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Power 5 Coordinator/Position Coaches - If you look at the last 5 of these (Felker, Croom, Mullen, Moorhead, Arnett), we hit on one of them (Mullen), so I think we've gotten bitten by the coordinator bug too many times to go down this path again, but I kept it on the list because you just know some of the fanbase is going to get all jazzed up at the idea of the OC of one of the CFP semifinalists or a Heisman finalist being in our candidate pool. I'll throw one name out there:

I’ll throw in Sean Lewis, current Colorado OC & former Kent State head coach…

Reactions: Dawgg

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Rich Rodriguez is only 60.
Was just about to post that outside of Michigan, Rodriguez has a pretty stellar record. Even at Michigan, he improved every year. Currently 13-3 (playing right now) at Jacksonville State. Wouldn’t be the sexiest hire, but wouldn’t be bad either.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t know anything about the Tulane coach but he’s obviously doing a great job and can recruit the south. Surely worth a look.

Dawgs9109

Oct 2, 2023
Tier 1
Jake Dickert Washington state
Jonathan smith Oregon state
Mike Elko Duke
Lance Leipold Kansas

Tier 2
Charles Huff Marshall
Gus Malzahn UCF
Jamey Chadwell Liberty
Curt Cognetti

Tier 3
Jeff Lebby Oklahoma OC
Kendal Briles TCU OC

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
aGAIN….Gus Malzahn

We aren’t getting the guys on y’all’s lists. Bet y’all believed the Chris Petersen bullshlt in 2009 too
Ok... so when he turns us down, who's next?

And you seriously don't think anybody I put on the list in my initial post would come to State?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Jake Dickert Washington state would be my first call. He is making 2.7 Million. Offer him 5 and negotiate from there.

If not:

Phil Longo has been a successful OC everywhere he has been. And we are not talking this is his first year. His record 118-59 (.667) record, won six conference championships.
UNC offense under Longo – 2019-2022

Category ACC Rank Power-5 Rank Value
Passing Yards 1st 3rd 14,781
Passing TDs 1st 4th 131
Passer Rating 1st 4th 161.6
Rushing Yards 1st 4th 10,074
Total Offense 1st 5th 487.4
Scoring 3rd 9th 36.1

He's making 1.25 million as an OC at Wisconsin right now.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
jesus GIF

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He wouldn't.
It hasn't gotten out a whole lot, but Stoops has pissed off a ton of people behind the scenes at UK. His seat is a lot hotter than most realize.

And no, I'd want no part of him here.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Let's have a real conversation about the 'what ifs' and 'who would?' if we were to really pull the trigger after season 1 and limit it to the traditional Mississippi State pool of candidates:
Group of 5 Head Coaches

Bottom Half Power 5 Head Coaches - This would be ranked/RV schools at or below State in terms of Power 5 prestige:
Duke - Mike Elko
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Kansas - Lance Leipold
Missouri - Eli Drinkwitz
Louisville - Jeff Brohm
Colorado - Deion Sanders
Maryland - Mike Locksley

Tulane - Willie Fritz
Air Force - Troy Calhoun
Wyoming - Craig Bohl
Marshall - Charles Huff

Retired/Semi-retired/former head coaches - This one is going to be rife with wild speculation. My rando name to throw out there would be:
Chris Petersen

For me personally, I think we NEED head coaching experience (preferably P5 head coaching experience) as a program.
Someone who wants to score more than they want to run their offense.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
You can scratch Gundy, Malzahn, Brown, Rodriguez, Holgerson, pretty much that entire G5 list. Probably others but I'm lazy

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Graham Harrell is another OC with lower pay days. He was able to pull a QB off the roster at TX. A high 4 star that Bama wanted. He is more run heavy right now then I like personally.

He makes a whooping 900K

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You can scratch Gundy, Malzahn, Brown, Rodriguez, Holgerson, pretty much that entire G5 list. Probably others but I'm lazy
Scratch them in that they wouldn't come to State or scratch them in that you don't want them?

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
Personal favorites that I don't think are a stretch.

Jamey Chadwell
Charles Huff
Brian Hartline
Willie Fritz
Troy Calhoun
Dave Clawson
Jake Dickert

Just leave a voicemail...
Gary Patterson

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ok... so when he turns us down, who's next?

And you seriously don't think anybody I put on the list in my initial post would come to State?
He won’t turn us down.

And no, I don’t think we will get any of the coaches on your list, especially at this point in time.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Malzahn, Dickert, Fritz , Clawson I’d take any of them.

If the cigar boys insist Brad Peterson stays on staff that’s a red flag.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Group of 5 Head Coaches

Duke - Mike Elko
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Kansas - Lance Leipold
Missouri - Eli Drinkwitz
Louisville - Jeff Brohm
Colorado - Deion Sanders
Maryland - Mike Locksley

Tulane - Willie Fritz
Air Force - Troy Calhoun
Wyoming - Craig Bohl
Marshall - Charles Huff

Chris Petersen

I was big on fritz several years ago. But he is very up or very down.

If we went coordinator I want lebby.

I srll like a proven head coach that has experience in SEC if we could get them. I doubt we could steal Elko. Malzahn would be easier.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
He won’t turn us down.

And no, I don’t think we will get any of the coaches on your list, especially at this point in time.
Ok, so your position is that we couldn't get Curt Cignetti, who was coaching in the Colonial Athletic Association conference two years ago and is currently making about $600,000 per year, but we are a lock to get Gus Malzahn, who is a $5 Million/year coach in a Power 5 league with no real 'overdog' and an easier path to the CFP?

Bold take.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Chadwell would be interesting being so option heavy. We'd be an odd ball on most schedules. I think that has value when you are of the lesser talented teams in the conference.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I really hate to say this, but Memphis's Ryan Silverfield could coach circles around our current staff. Had he been our coach this year, I would say we'd be at 3-2 instead of 2-3 right now and much more competitive in our 2 losses. Kind of think he would have beaten SC.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think he would. I was just showing ranked teams with an equal or lower profile than Mississippi State nationally.
Unfortunately, its debatable at best that Kentucky meets either of those criteria. They are a far more recognizable brand, much bigger school / population center / fanbase, and much more wealthy athletic department and booster network…..and all while being in the same premier conference. And their success on the field has generally been as good or better than MSU for 6-7 years now.

The actual “equal or lower profile than MSU” Power 5 list is below. We come in at #52 out of the 65 teams in job prestige. And several of these would leave us in the dust with the right coaching hire and/or NIL commitment, also.

Vanderbilt
UCF
Houston
Kansas
Washington State
Iowa State
Oregon State
Rutgers
Northwestern
Maryland
Indiana
Wake Forest
Duke

/end list

Last edited:

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Group of 5 Head Coaches

Duke - Mike Elko
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Kansas - Lance Leipold
Missouri - Eli Drinkwitz
Louisville - Jeff Brohm
Colorado - Deion Sanders
Maryland - Mike Locksley

Tulane - Willie Fritz
Air Force - Troy Calhoun
Wyoming - Craig Bohl
Marshall - Charles Huff

Chris Petersen

At this point, no clue as to who would bite. But. Behind the scenes, I’m sure some of the interest would surprise everyone here. But that’s the thing. Behind the scenes. People in charge is what matters most and recent history gives me little hope.

That said. I’d make a Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, coach tell me no.

State can pay 9 a year.

But even before that, I want someone that is a proven D1 coach, and most importantly, a dynamite recruiter and talent evaluator.

As much as a CEO, what you’re paying for is a recruiter and evaluator.

These are most important.(Jackie Wayne Sherrill).

Ole Don was a pretty good evaluator too.

And secondly. No fear. Nothing to lose. Jump up at the Destin meeting and piss on the desk right in front of saban’s face.

That’s your coach. Ain’t but one fits that criteria.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Unfortunately, its debatable at best that Kentucky meets either of those criteria. They are a far more recognizable brand, much bigger school / population center / fanbase, and much more wealthy athletic department and booster network…..and all while being in the same premier conference. And their success on the field has generally been as good or better than MSU for 6-7 years now.

The actual “equal or lower profile than MSU” Power 5 list is below. We come in at #52 out of the 65 teams in job prestige. And several of these would leave us in the dust with the right coaching hire and/or NIL commitment, also.

Vanderbilt
UCF
Houston
Kansas
Washington State
Iowa State
Oregon State
Rutgers
Northwestern
Maryland
Indiana
Wake Forest
Duke

/end list
I think you’re interpreting “at or below” very literally or maybe myopically, or both, which is fine, but I tend to think of the Power 5 in tiers, so when I say “at or below”, I mean that they're in the same tier as us or lower. I don't know what metrics are being used to determine a true numerical ranking for job prestige, but if we're 52 and Kentucky is... I dunno... 45, then I would say we're in the same ballpark and there's not a ton of daylight between the two football (not basketball) programs. They get the same blah 11:00 and 6:30 SECN timeslots we do unless they're playing against Bama, LSU, or Georgia, just like us. I'd group South Carolina, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Arkansas in there too, at least from the SEC.

For example, you can make the argument that Notre Dame is above LSU in terms of prestige if you're ranking a true 1 to 10, but they're in the same basic upper tier and the situations were right for LSU to poach Notre Dame's head coach. I'm saying that if Stoops was unhappy in his situation at Kentucky and saw a lifeline being offered at Mississippi State, it wouldn't be viewed as a big downgrade nationally, it would be a lateral move.

Also, I'm not advocating for Stoops. I'm just explaining my reasoning for including him in the list and what I consider 'at or below'.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think you’re interpreting “at or below” very literally or maybe myopically, or both, which is fine, but I tend to think of the Power 5 in tiers, so when I say “at or below”, I mean that they're in the same tier as us or lower. I don't know what metrics are being used to determine a true numerical ranking for job prestige, but if we're 52 and Kentucky is... I dunno... 45, then I would say we're in the same ballpark and there's not a ton of daylight between the two football (not basketball) programs. They get the same blah 11:00 and 6:30 SECN timeslots we do unless they're playing against Bama, LSU, or Georgia, just like us. I'd group South Carolina, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Arkansas in there too, at least from the SEC.

For example, you can make the argument that Notre Dame is above LSU in terms of prestige if you're ranking a true 1 to 10, but they're in the same basic upper tier and the situations were right for LSU to poach Notre Dame's head coach. I'm saying that if Stoops was unhappy in his situation at Kentucky and saw a lifeline being offered at Mississippi State, it wouldn't be viewed as a big downgrade nationally, it would be a lateral move.

Also, I'm not advocating for Stoops. I'm just explaining my reasoning for including him in the list and what I consider 'at or below'.
I’m saying we don’t have a prayer of ever hiring a sitting head coach in good standing away from Kentucky, or any other P5 program not on the list I posted. Kentucky’s AD revenue is $50 million more than ours every year, almost 50% bigger. That gap is too big to be from basketball alone, they are outworking us in football revenue, too. Which means they have huge advantages over us in NIL. They like everyone else will outspend us, and/or be a more desirable spot going forward in this current era of college football. So I think that makes them not “at or below us”. They are above us at this point. It’s all just a cashflow contest now, and we aren’t in a great spot there.

And I’d never argue ND to be above LSU….at least not in football. That’s pure nonsense from any perspective after 1990.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m saying we don’t have a prayer of ever hiring a sitting head coach in good standing away from Kentucky, or any other P5 program not on the list I posted. Kentucky’s AD revenue is $50 million more than ours every year, almost 50% bigger. That gap is too big to be from basketball alone, they are outworking us in football revenue, too. Which means they have huge advantages over us in NIL. They like everyone else will outspend us, and/or be a more desirable spot going forward in this current era of college football. So I think that makes them not “at or below us”. They are above us at this point. It’s all just a cashflow contest now, and we aren’t in a great spot there.

And I’d never argue ND to be above LSU….at least not in football. That’s pure nonsense from any perspective after 1990.
So... right now... we couldn't poach Boston College's head coach if we wanted him? You don't have Boston College on your list.
Georgia Tech?
Cincinnati?
BYU?
West Virginia?
Kansas State?

All things being equal, those schools are just out of our league prestige wise and/or ability to outspend?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login