Next weather system to monitor

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Almost posted this last night but held off. There is a dying cold front in the area and an area of low pressure is expected to form in the northern Gulf by mid week. By this weekend there is a chance this could end up as a tropical depression. This would have the threats for the MS and AL coasts limited to very heavy rain and rip currents. Some of the models showing very high rainfall totals so a trip to the beach this weekend may be a bit damp if this materializes.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Wish that would move north up this way. **** is about to hit the fan here if we don’t get some rain in the next week and a half.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Wonderful. Heading to Orange Beach Friday.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news as I figured it would mess up some vacations. A lot can change between now and then but for an idea the morning run of the euro had the OB area receiving 12"+ of rain this weekend. Good news is if you're there for more than the weekend it should clear on out.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I live in Cabot, AR, and we have not gotten a drop since June 9th. Pretty much nothing in the forecast for the next 2 weeks either.

I can’t imagine what the local farmers are dealing with right now

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Latest runs seem to be moving the core of the heaviest rain into crawfish country. Maybe that will be the trend and not just a one off.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We’ve had some of the strangest weather this summer I think I’ve ever seen. We have been getting an afternoon shower about every other day, NE Ms. I’m mowing every five days and my yard is as green and lush as I’ve seen in years. My brother lives a few miles away and his yard crunches when you walk on it. It would burn if you threw a match down. A farmer has 400 acres of beans across the road, it was the last fields he planted but he said it might be his first harvest and best yield.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Same here, been getting it at least every other day in Starksville**. My yard is growing gangbusters right now but the St Augustine is showing signs of fungus now so its getting to be too much rain.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Wish I could send it your way. We had heavy rain every day from June 27-July 4th. We had it yesterday and it’s supposed to rain every day this week.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Same here. I'm in Tupelo. I could mow every three days if I wanted to.

lol, I'm in Tupelo and mowed my half dead yard Saturday morning for the first time in 2 weeks even though it really didn't need it. Crazy how hit or miss the rain has been. It will rain 10 miles away where I work - but bone dry at the house.

Did get a good soaking Saturday afternoon though.

Hellsyeah

May 22, 2013
I am also in NE Miss and I think we have gotten two ground covering rains in the past 6-7 weeks. My zoysia is scorched. Maybe the good rain this past Saturday will bring it back to life

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
East Central MS went 6 weeks with 1/10 to 1/4 inch. Everything looked like October, even trees were shedding. Last 2 weeks we have gotten over 2.5 inches.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Wonderful. Heading to Orange Beach Friday.
How long are you staying, because if it’s a week you’re better off than you would have been this week or two weeks ago. I really feel bad for some people because they have spent a lot of money for terrible weather. Two weeks ago was the strangest I’ve ever seen. It rained every morning. It was like the opposite of the pop up afternoon showers.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Same here, been getting it at least every other day in Starksville**. My yard is growing gangbusters right now but the St Augustine is showing signs of fungus now so its getting to be too much rain.

I live maybe two miles from the city limits and I have gotten next to no rain. This last system Saturday we got some rain, but while Starkville was drowning I had nothing.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Just to be certain "getting it every other day" is rain right? Either way it makes a married man jealous.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Just to be certain "getting it every other day" is rain right? Either way it makes a married man jealous.

Reminds me of this joke:

A little boy and his dad were in Walmart and happened to end up on the condom aisle. He asked what they were and his dad was honest. He then asked why there was a pack of 3. Dad said that was for high school boys. One for Friday. One for Saturday. One for Sunday. He then asked about the pack of six. His dad explained that was for college boys. Two for Friday. Two for Saturday. Two for Sunday. Then what about that pack of 12 the boy asked. His dad hung his head and sadly said that was for married men. One for January. One for February...

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
How long are you staying, because if it’s a week you’re better off than you would have been this week or two weeks ago. I really feel bad for some people because they have spent a lot of money for terrible weather. Two weeks ago was the strangest I’ve ever seen. It rained every morning. It was like the opposite of the pop up afternoon showers.

Friday to Friday for me. I hope you’re right. Next week’s outlook has good rain chances as well.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Latest run of the gfs has significantly backed off the rainfall totals for this system. It's now only showing 2-4" for the coast instead of the 8-14 from earlier today. Have to see if this becomes a trend but potential good news for any vacationers.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Latest run of the gfs has significantly backed off the rainfall totals for this system. It's now only showing 2-4" for the coast instead of the 8-14 from earlier today. Have to see if this becomes a trend but potential good news for any vacationers.

That’s great news. Thank you for always keeping us updated.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Raining every morning at the beach isn't too terrible. Definitely not great, but an afternoon at the beach each day and hanging out in the condo or indoor pool if there is one during the morning is ok.

But yea, I feel sorry for the people that get one week a year at the beach and it rains the whole time. Went to the beach a couple of years ago for just an extra long weekend but it rained the Monday - Wednesday before I got there and had been raining more or less the entire week. Talked to a guy from Oklahoma and it was a major, major trip for them. Dude was a small business owner and said he'd spent a few years just keeping his head above water and then got to where he had been doing well financially for the past few years but just didn't have the team where he felt he could leave for a week. Had already cancelled two vacations in the prior two years and wife finally put down the ultimatum. So they drive from Oklahoma to the Panhandle with two kids and get there and it just storms all 17ing week. Not rains everyday, but storms every day and has a steady drizzle when it's not actual thunderstorms. Guy was really bummed and I think felt guilty. And the fact that he was sitting in a bar at 2:30 in the afternoon without his family makes me think his wife wasn't being particularly understanding about it although he didn't say that.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
So looking at my local radar. There is some spinnage around PCola. Storms being pulled south off the land and moisture wrapping NE off the gulf. I’m sure it’s probably way too broad and disorganized to do anything but from a radar perspective it looks interesting.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
So looking at my local radar. There is some spinnage around PCola. Storms being pulled south off the land and moisture wrapping NE off the gulf. I’m sure it’s probably way too broad and disorganized to do anything but from a radar perspective it looks interesting.

Definitely a broad area of low pressure has formed. Just don't think it's going to have an opportunity to gain tropical characteristics.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Definitely a broad area of low pressure has formed. Just don't think it's going to have an opportunity to gain tropical characteristics.
It’s hilarious, I’ve been on the coast for 13 years but I can never see the radar and predict it. I lived in VBurg for 20 years and I could always call where the cells would hit prior to it going over the river. Granted, if you said Redwood/Eagle Lake you had a 90% chance of getting it right.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It’s hilarious, I’ve been on the coast for 13 years but I can never see the radar and predict it. I lived in VBurg for 20 years and I could always call where the cells would hit prior to it going over the river. Granted, if you said Redwood/Eagle Lake you had a 90% chance of getting it right.
I’m getting to your levels. I grew up in the pine belt and could know when to hold’em and when to fold’em. I moved the the ms coast and it’s a crapshoot. And that’s after I paid for a very good radar. The paid radar is pretty damn accurate (way more than free ones), but the cells still change on me. Luckily, we don’t get the tornadic activity on the coast like I did in the pine belt and while living in starkSville. I lived in a trailer in stark and took a direct hit. It honestly gave my dog ptsd after that every time in thundered he got in the bathtub

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m getting to your levels. I grew up in the pine belt and could know when to hold’em and when to fold’em. I moved the the ms coast and it’s a crapshoot. And that’s after I paid for a very good radar. The paid radar is pretty damn accurate (way more than free ones), but the cells still change on me. Luckily, we don’t get the tornadic activity on the coast like I did in the pine belt and while living in starkSville. I lived in a trailer in stark and took a direct hit. It honestly gave my dog ptsd after that every time in thundered he got in the bathtub
Was the the one that hit University Hills? I had a fried that was in one of the trailers that flipped over. I was in Canterbury and was outside talking to my landlord when I saw a lawn chair fly over our head @ 200 feet in the air. We decided to go inside at the point.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login