NFL close to deal with ESPN.

AnchorState

Jan 21, 2020
Whatever was left of ESPN’s appearance of journalistic independence re: the NFL is over if this goes through. They’ll just be the NFL’s hype man.

Wonder what Fox, CBS and NBC will have to say about this deal, after spending $100s of millions for media rights.

Reactions: StateCollege

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Whatever was left of ESPN’s appearance of journalistic independence re: the NFL is over if this goes through. They’ll just be the NFL’s hype man.

Wonder what Fox, CBS and NBC will have to say about this deal, after spending $100s of millions for media rights.
I mean... ESPN (like any other network) has always been somewhat at the mercy of the leagues they broadcast. It's one of the reasons ESPN quit making scripted shows like Playmakers, Bronx is Burning, and Season on the Brink. I guess this could make them more at the NFL's mercy, but I'm not sure it's significantly more than it already is.

From what I'm reading in the article and the NY Post article linked to, all ESPN is taking over is the NFL Network, NFL+, NFL Films, NFL.com, and the NFL Redzone. It's not taking away windows/rights that would have gone to Fox, CBS, or NBC. The article also said that the NFL has been trying to find a buyer/partner for NFL Media for years now, but has been unsuccessful. That means all of those networks you listed (and their corporate overlords) plus Amazon, Google, etc. have had their opportunities to make that purchase/partnership.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
This just feels off to me. The NFL having a vested interest in network that is currently making a huge push into sports betting? Just seems like a lot of issues are gonna arise out of this.

Reactions: GomJabbar and Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I would almost bet on a tiered subscription rolled out next fall. They would own:

NFL
CFB
NBA
NHL

What am I forgetting?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This just feels off to me. The NFL having a vested interest in network that is currently making a huge push into sports betting? Just seems like a lot of issues are gonna arise out of this.
Now, that's a good point. I had a problem with it during the 'Barstool Invitational' and that's on a much smaller scale. Having Penn and the NFL having any sort of overlap seems ripe with the possibility of impropriety.

Reactions: GomJabbar

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Lots of money to be made with the NFL. I'm guessing that the boycott from fans a couple of years ago complaining that the NFL and ESPN were too woke didn't work out. 93% of the most watched tv shows were NFL games. Sports are big business and big business is largely amoral. Don't bet against big business when there are few alternatives for men who like sports. It's like the NIL is ruining college football crowd, something that sounds aspirational. It might, for schools with limited NIL funds, but southern men love college football and it provides entertainment and meaning to their lives.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login