NFL Combine

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Makai Polk may be making him some money while also making Spurrier eat his words. He looked as fluid and smooth as anyone running the gauntlet while running a 4.50 40. For reference, Treylon Burks ran a 4.55. Looks like the NFL receiver curse will be broken.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
[TWEET]1499561107530428446[/TWEET]

Pretty unreal. Jameson Williams was the best WR in the best conference in the country. And he was the 3rd best WR on his own team when he was at Ohio State. Might give some folks pause on the long term outlook for Justin Fields….for the same reasons as folks doubted Tua.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
4.4 was fast. You member?

yep ... and I remember O-linemen being around 270-275 lbs ..... I remember when 350 lbs was a good bench press. These guys just keep getting bigger, faster, and stronger - without the Bionics that Steve Austin was outfitted with

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 but he was able to get open every once and a while.

Jerry Rice's 40 time is misleading. He played much faster than his time suggested and ran away from people that had much better 40 times. He ran several times for teams that spring and he got better as he ran more and actually ran mid 4.5's that year. His bad times were due to poor technique not lack of ability or speed.

So why do we put so much importance on the 40 time when you don't play football like you run a 40? Most players of today have been trained properly in the best techniques on how to run a 40 so it's expected of you to know how to run the 40 especially as a WR where speed is the name of the game.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think they ought to time players with pads on from their normal football stance. Renaldo Nehemiah was a world class athlete but a very average WR.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
I have always wondered about measurable, especially 40 times. How many plays are run where the QB throws the ball more than 40 yards to a receiver on a straight fly route? Also, try mentally discerning the difference in 4. 4 seconds and 4.6 seconds, You cannot snap your fingers fast enough. A DB that runs a 4.6 can cover a WR who runs a 4.4. I believe all 40 test times should be run competitively, not individually. Line up 5 guys across a starting line and have them run 40 yards from a standing start and see how far apart they are at the end. Probably not more that arm’s length.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
Jerry Rice's 40 time is misleading. He played much faster than his time suggested and ran away from people that had much better 40 times. He ran several times for teams that spring and he got better as he ran more and actually ran mid 4.5's that year. His bad times were due to poor technique not lack of ability or speed.

So why do we put so much importance on the 40 time when you don't play football like you run a 40? Most players of today have been trained properly in the best techniques on how to run a 40 so it's expected of you to know how to run the 40 especially as a WR where speed is the name of the game.

Win with quickness and technique. Speed without quickness and technique is overrated. Receivers win with what they do in front of defenders, not behind them. Some great receivers can cover 10 yards in 5 steps in quickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4l4kSdb_dY

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

It's just a data point. No more, no less.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have always wondered about measurable, especially 40 times. How many plays are run where the QB throws the ball more than 40 yards to a receiver on a straight fly route? Also, try mentally discerning the difference in 4. 4 seconds and 4.6 seconds, You cannot snap your fingers fast enough. A DB that runs a 4.6 can cover a WR who runs a 4.4. I believe all 40 test times should be run competitively, not individually. Line up 5 guys across a starting line and have them run 40 yards from a standing start and see how far apart they are at the end. Probably not more that arm’s length.

40 times are just a proxy for how fast you are. Seems a little dumb to put so much weight on 40 times when you could actually put equipment on people and see how fast they cover 10 yards. But I guess even then, if you're running a 10 yard out, I'm assuming how fast you get ten yards out is less important than how fast you are coming out of the break and how deceptive you are leading into it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login