NFL considering banning “Hip Drop” Tackles

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
While those injuries look horrific, you can at least come back from them. If they are going to get rid of certain tackles, they need to get of the ones that nearly tear knees off the body, like the ones that got Marcus Lattimore and McKenzie Milton.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
While they are at it they need to go back to banning the Tush Push. That stuff is ridiculous and guys are getting hurt. This is Football not Rugby. Leave the scrums to the Rugby teams.
Hip drop tackles are banned in Rugby.

Reactions: onewoof

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
While those injuries look horrific, you can at least come back from them. If they are going to get rid of certain tackles, they need to get of the ones that nearly tear knees off the body, like the ones that got Marcus Lattimore and McKenzie Milton.
I'm by no means and expert, but hip drop tackles seem more likely to do at least some damage than horse collar tackles.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dude....rant time.

I do not understand flag football. I don't see the purpose. For one, it cuts out the big boys. Not to mention it doesn't really mimic real football. But scared parents love it, go out on any field in the Jackson metro, you'll see the flag fields covered, and nowhere for the tackle teams to even practice. It's insane. You don't teach wiffle ball early on to lead into baseball, why do flag football?

Why not teach the tackle game at young ages? They don't hit hard, and you could mandate proper tackling technique. The hits are not hard enough to routinely give concussions anymore than any other sport.

I'd rather see soccer being played out there than flag football.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If they will get rid of fake grass, they'll get rid of half of the injuries in the NFL. I'm glad it didn't have this when I was playing grass and ground is hard enough.

Reactions: Ibdancin

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Can we just accept that this is a sport for gladiators and bad injuries and brain damage are just part of it? If the world can accept boxing and MMA, I believe there is a place for old school football. The sissy boys can go find a pickleball court.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Wtf is a hip drop tackle?
Grab the ball carrier around the waist/hips, and then drop your entire body weight to the ground. Easier way for a smaller player to tackle a larger player. The danger is that when you drop your body weight down, often you land on the runners feet/ankles. Tony Pollard got his leg broken at the end of 2022 by one, and countless dudes have sprained ankles as a result of getting tackled this way.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Wtf is a hip drop tackle?
49ers news: NFL might ban hip drop tackle that Jimmie Ward used against the  Cowboys - Niners Nation

Dropping your hips to the ground when you're trying to bring down a ballcarrier. These tackles are pretty common with DBs trying to take down bigger RBs or TEs from behind.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Dude....rant time.

I do not understand flag football. I don't see the purpose. For one, it cuts out the big boys. Not to mention it doesn't really mimic real football. But scared parents love it, go out on any field in the Jackson metro, you'll see the flag fields covered, and nowhere for the tackle teams to even practice. It's insane. You don't teach wiffle ball early on to lead into baseball, why do flag football?

Why not teach the tackle game at young ages? They don't hit hard, and you could mandate proper tackling technique. The hits are not hard enough to routinely give concussions anymore than any other sport.

I'd rather see soccer being played out there than flag football.
I think you make some good points, but the flip side of the argument is that tackle football at the younger ages is skewed towards the fat kids and the kids that hit puberty first.

There's not as much emphasis on developing skill level, specifically in the passing game, because there he coach knows he can just put the strongest kid at tailback and mash. Smaller guys that could actually be good receivers or DBs are left to chicken fight on the outside before getting run over by that kid already shaving. That **** gets old.

I don't have an issue with tackle football for kids from a concussion standpoint, but I admittedly don't know the data on youth head injuries. Maybe I would if I knew more. I'm mainly speaking from a perspective of skill player development and fun.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
49ers news: NFL might ban hip drop tackle that Jimmie Ward used against the  Cowboys - Niners Nation

Dropping your hips to the ground when you're trying to bring down a ballcarrier. These tackles are pretty common with DBs trying to take down bigger RBs or TEs from behind.
Basically Hawk Tackling, correct. It is better than putting the shoulder pad on the knee of a guy that isn't even looking. I don't know how any TE in the game even walk. Everytime they get a throw some DB is hitting their planted leg straight on the knee.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think you make some good points, but the flip side of the argument is that tackle football at the younger ages is skewed towards the fat kids and the kids that hit puberty first.

There's not as much emphasis on developing skill level, specifically in the passing game, because there he coach knows he can just put the strongest kid at tailback and mash. Smaller guys that could actually be good receivers or DBs are left to chicken fight on the outside before getting run over by that kid already shaving. That **** gets old.

I don't have an issue with tackle football for kids from a concussion standpoint, but I admittedly don't know the data on youth head injuries. Maybe I would if I knew more. I'm mainly speaking from a perspective of skill player development and fun.
That's true. Of course in flag it's the fastest kid that dominates.

Definitely needs more regulation, i.e. more people that care. We have weight limits for ball carriers. I wish we'd go further and get the high schools involved, and mandate that we run a real offense, instead of like beast and some other shlt that these nimrod coaches come up with from time to time.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Dude....rant time.

I do not understand flag football. I don't see the purpose. For one, it cuts out the big boys. Not to mention it doesn't really mimic real football.
Some big reasons at the park & rec level is you don't have the expense of equipment and can use same fields as soccer. Can also have girl leagues... normally their only tackle football option would be to play on a team with boys.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Just pathetic. Next thing you know, they’ll be banning Hurricarana tackles, too***

IMG_5308.gif

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So a player wouldn't be able to grab the ball carrier and go limp to land on the carrier's legs to drag him down.
Seems like a lot of tackles will no longer be tackles. Time for the ypc to increase.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login