NFL hypothetical…

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
So I've never seen it happen, but if a game goes into overtime in the NFL, and on the first (and only) possession, the team with the ball bleeds the clock and kicks a field goal as time expires... do they win?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So I've never seen it happen, but if a game goes into overtime in the NFL, and on the first (and only) possession, the team with the ball bleeds the clock and kicks a field goal as time expires... do they win?
I think so. But they don’t win until the clock runs out. So if the FG goes through with like 1 second left, they still have to kickoff. I don’t think there is any rule that guarantees both teams get to have a possession.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't think the team that wins the toss can win it with a field goal on their first possession. The other team gets a chance. I think they would do another over time period.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think the team that wins the toss can win it with a field goal on their first possession. The other team gets a chance. I think they would do another over time period.
They wouldn’t be winning it on their “first possession”, they’d be winning it because the clock ran out and they were ahead.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think they would win. It’s the other team gets a possession time permitting.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The official answer is that they would play a 2nd OT only if it’s a postseason game. A regular season game cannot have anything beyond a single 10-minute overtime period.

IMG_5432.jpeg

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Yes for regular season

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Very dumb to have different rules on this for the regular season and playoffs

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login