NFL OT Rules

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
As I am watching this TB/Buffalo game, I just started thinking about the relatively new rule that guarantees a possession for the other team when a team kicks a field goal after the first kickoff. Seems to me like that should apply as well when a touchdown is scored on the first possession. In other words, it seems like both teams should be guaranteed at least one possession. Then it becomes true sudden death after that, if still tied. I guess a safety on the first possession would still have to be game over though, logically.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They should just do college overtime.

But, maybe start each OT half with a kickoff so that teams actually have to drive down to score, since if they just started at the 25, most teams would usually get a FG at least.

patdog

May 28, 2007
College overtime is the worst. Anything but that. But yeah, I do like the NFL rules better. Maybe the best option would be for the coin toss winner to pick the yard line for the kickoff and the direction, and then the loser pick to kick or receive. They'd very quickly figure out the optional point where kicking or receiving gives equal chance of winning. And go back to a full 15 minute overtime.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I hate college overtime. Just play a full quarter. No sudden death. If it’s still tied at the end of the quarter, game ends in a tie. In a playoff game, it could go to a second overtime quarter, which would be sudden death.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s a real good idea. A lot simpler than my proposal, and pretty much eliminates the coin toss advantage.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I hate college overtime. Just play a full quarter. No sudden death. If it’s still tied at the end of the quarter, game ends in a tie. In a playoff game, it could go to a second overtime quarter, which would be sudden death.

Sounds good to me.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
They should just do college overtime.

But, maybe start each OT half with a kickoff so that teams actually have to drive down to score, since if they just started at the 25, most teams would usually get a FG at least.

College OT is terrible, especially now since they started the 2 point conversion after so many possessions. I like the way NFL works. It’s OT, there should be some element of sudden death to it, so I don’t mind that a team takes a loss after giving up a TD

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Yeah real easy to say that while sitting on your couch. They went to the current format to prevent the coin toss just requiring a field goal to win. The players get beat up enough and don't want to play another full quarter. The even chance after an initial FG was an equitable format. Of course the team that gets the ball after the OT FG does have an advantage knowing they have 4 downs on every set until they get in FG range.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Nah. I like it just the way they have it. If your defense can't stop them driving down the field and scoring a TD on opening possession, then you should lose.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Nah. I like it just the way they have it. If your defense can't stop them driving down the field and scoring a TD on opening possession, then you should lose.

But the teams didn't then have a chance to see if the scoring team could get a stop on D.

Baseball doesn't end right when the visiting team scores a run- the home team has a chance to tie or win.
Both teams play offense and defense.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
As I am watching this TB/Buffalo game, I just started thinking about the relatively new rule that guarantees a possession for the other team when a team kicks a field goal after the first kickoff. Seems to me like that should apply as well when a touchdown is scored on the first possession. In other words, it seems like both teams should be guaranteed at least one possession. Then it becomes true sudden death after that, if still tied. I guess a safety on the first possession would still have to be game over though, logically.

Ball at the 40, and go from there. Let the team on defense then take the ball at the 40 after a turnover or score.
Both teams should play on both sides of the ball.

Acing the ball at the 40 largely reduces the odds of a team being able to successfully kick a field goal without advancing the ball.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm fine with the way it is now. You've got 60 minutes to win. If you can't do that - game goes to OT where both teams still have a clear defined way to win. Either score a TD if you win the coin toss - or stop the other team from scoring a TD on their first possession and then score either TD or FG to win depending on what the other team did.

It's not perfect but no one will ever agree on what's the best solution.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login