NFL Preseason/Bo Nix next Tom Brady?

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
I was watching a little bit of preseason last night-Denver vs. Green Bay. The commentators were praising Bo Nix like he was going to win ROY, MVP, and Super Bowl by the end of the year. Am I missing something? I watched a few of his games in Oregon and Auburn, but geez. They were talking like Sean Payton was crowning him the next Drew Brees before he even started a real game. Maybe I don't know football well enough.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've been thinking about this for the last couple of years, but there is a real push for these running QBs to take over in the NFL. Probably because that's what high schools, and then colleges, are producing because that's what wins at the lower levels. It's tough for a true passer to really get a shot these days at lower levels unless you're a freak specimen and can run well enough (remember, even the Mannings ran the ball at a serviceable level in high school). But at the NFL level, you have to have a thrower these days, and that's been the case for a long time. In a general sense, if you aren't accurate, you aren't going to make it. And by make it, I mean be considered truly one of the top level QBs in the NFL. If you can also run, that's obviously a plus, especially around in the pocket.

These guys like Nix are runners, man, so I don't get it. There are always extraordinary circumstances like Hurts, who was on a super team, or Jackson, who is the next Vick. But if you try and run your QB all the time, he will get hurt.

I guess maybe with receivers being so much better now they figure the QB doesn't have to be so accurate?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I've been thinking about this for the last couple of years, but there is a real push for these running QBs to take over in the NFL. Probably because that's what high schools, and then colleges, are producing because that's what wins at the lower levels.

The only thing that influences NFL trends is winning games. They aren't influenced by what happens at lower levels. No NFL team ever ran the wishbone, because it wouldn't work against NFL defenses. Likewise, NFL teams may run a few zone read option plays, but they won't do it on a regular basis because it is far too simple an offense to work consistently in the NFL.

NFL teams are using more dual threat QBs because right now it is working. It's also entertaining, so there's a marketing upside.

Steve Young and Randall Cunningham sort of started the current trend, then Steve McNair came within a foot of winning a SB, and Mike Vick took the Falcons to an NFC championship game. Russell Wilson and, of course, Mahomes, have solidified the modern blueprint.

But even dual threat QBs need to be extraordinary passers to be successful in the NFL. The ones that aren't don't last long, because defenses will just force them to throw. That's been the downfall of many dual threat QBs (Vick and Wilson immediately come to mind)

There is still a place for pocket passers like Brady and Rogers, but if you could draft the next Mahomes why wouldn't you?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I've been thinking about this for the last couple of years, but there is a real push for these running QBs to take over in the NFL. Probably because that's what high schools, and then colleges, are producing because that's what wins at the lower levels. It's tough for a true passer to really get a shot these days at lower levels unless you're a freak specimen and can run well enough (remember, even the Mannings ran the ball at a serviceable level in high school). But at the NFL level, you have to have a thrower these days, and that's been the case for a long time. In a general sense, if you aren't accurate, you aren't going to make it. And by make it, I mean be considered truly one of the top level QBs in the NFL. If you can also run, that's obviously a plus, especially around in the pocket.

These guys like Nix are runners, man, so I don't get it. There are always extraordinary circumstances like Hurts, who was on a super team, or Jackson, who is the next Vick. But if you try and run your QB all the time, he will get hurt.

I guess maybe with receivers being so much better now they figure the QB doesn't have to be so accurate?
Qbs now are more accurate than theyve ever been. I dont think anyone in the league is looking for the next running QB. They just need them to be agile enough to escape pressure and move the chains from time to time with his feet.

The entire game has gotten faster. The DT's are faster.. meaning the QBs have to be faster than in the past

Reactions: dorndawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The only thing that influences NFL trends is winning games. They aren't influenced by what happens at lower levels. No NFL team ever ran the wishbone, because it wouldn't work against NFL defenses. Likewise, NFL teams may run a few zone read option plays, but they won't do it on a regular basis because it is far too simple an offense to work consistently in the NFL.

NFL teams are using more dual threat QBs because right now it is working. It's also entertaining, so there's a marketing upside.

Steve Young and Randall Cunningham sort of started the current trend, then Steve McNair came within a foot of winning a SB, and Mike Vick took the Falcons to an NFC championship game. Russell Wilson and, of course, Mahomes, have solidified the modern blueprint.

But even dual threat QBs need to be extraordinary passers to be successful in the NFL. The ones that aren't don't last long, because defenses will just force them to throw. That's been the downfall of many dual threat QBs (Vick and Wilson immediately come to mind)

There is still a place for pocket passers like Brady and Rogers, but if you could draft the next Mahomes why wouldn't you?
We actually agree. The bolded sentence above especially. A dual threat who is an elite passer works in any offense, at any level. Perhaps there is just more of them now?

When I talk about runners, I mean the guys who aren't extraordinary passers - Nix, Hurts, Vick, Jackson. Not Mahomes, Young, Cunningham, McNair, or even McNabb. Those latter guys were NFL passers.

Maybe the others can develop into one. Dak sure made a big jump, but his jump was during college.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It’s the preseason and there is nothing else to talk about… so the announcers/talking heads over hype any rookie that may be a household name just to get people to watch.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s the preseason and there is nothing else to talk about… so the announcers/talking heads over hype any rookie that may be a household name just to get people to watch.
Truth. I remember watching a 49ers preseason game during Boobie's rookie season and the announcers had me convinced that Boobie was about to be the next Emmitt Smith.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It actually might be harder mentally to be a running QB than a statue like Brady or Manning. It’s an option they don’t have to process, but people like Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick do.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

You mention dual threat qb's and don't say anything about Jackson. Weird.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Dak sure made a big jump, but his jump was during college.

I think Dak's big jump was after college, and before the draft and training camp. He hired a personal passing coach and improved his accuracy tremendously.

I didn't think Dak was going to be very successful in the NFL because of the passes I watched him throw for 3 years. Then he stepped up in those first preseason games and was money.

I wish he could have hired that coach sooner.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Qbs now are more accurate than theyve ever been. I dont think anyone in the league is looking for the next running QB. They just need them to be agile enough to escape pressure and move the chains from time to time with his feet.

The entire game has gotten faster. The DT's are faster.. meaning the QBs have to be faster than in the past
They also need QBs who can comprehend NFL playbooks and read defenses instantly. That's one reason Air Raid QBs have not had much NFL success. Learning 7 plays with simplistic route trees and not reading DBs does not translate well to the NFL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login