NFL Sunday Ticket: YouTube TV

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
$2.5B is the rumor.

I wonder if the NFL would give a network exclusive rights to RedZone. That has to be coming.

Reactions: onewoof

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
From an article

The Sunday Ticket package will be available on YouTube TV and YouTube Premium channels, if/when the deal is done. The price will be similar to the current DirecTV charge. That reportedly became the sticking point for Apple, which wanted to make the product less expensive for consumers.

As Alex Sherman of CNBC.com reported in June, the NFL’s deals with CBS and Fox prevent the NFL from offering Sunday Ticket at a significantly lower price. This helps maximize viewership of the games offered by CBS and Fox in a given market, by keeping people from purchasing the ability to watch all games.

Don’t get mad at CBS or Fox or YouTube about this. The NFL could have taken less from CBS and Fox in order to secure the ability to sell Sunday Ticket for less. The league, taking full advantage of its broadcast antitrust exemption, maximized the revenue from all broadcasters while also making it more expensive for average fans to watch the games they want to watch.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
From an article

The Sunday Ticket package will be available on YouTube TV and YouTube Premium channels, if/when the deal is done. The price will be similar to the current DirecTV charge. That reportedly became the sticking point for Apple, which wanted to make the product less expensive for consumers.

As Alex Sherman of CNBC.com reported in June, the NFL’s deals with CBS and Fox prevent the NFL from offering Sunday Ticket at a significantly lower price. This helps maximize viewership of the games offered by CBS and Fox in a given market, by keeping people from purchasing the ability to watch all games.

Don’t get mad at CBS or Fox or YouTube about this. The NFL could have taken less from CBS and Fox in order to secure the ability to sell Sunday Ticket for less. The league, taking full advantage of its broadcast antitrust exemption, maximized the revenue from all broadcasters while also making it more expensive for average fans to watch the games they want to watch.
All that makes sense. I had Sunday ticket for a few years, at a lowered price, so I could watch one team. I wished then, and now, that there was a single team package where you name the one team and that is the only game you get for obviously a reduced cost.

Reactions: CDawg08

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
All that makes sense. I had Sunday ticket for a few years, at a lowered price, so I could watch one team. I wished then, and now, that there was a single team package where you name the one team and that is the only game you get for obviously a reduced cost.
There’s talk that it may happen but I have my doubts.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

"The Sunday Ticket package will be available on YouTube TV and YouTube Premium channels, if/when the deal is done"

This is such ******** "reporting", the use of "if/when the deal is done". Just another good example of everybody wanting to be the first one to report something even though it hasn't been confirmed. They threw that "if" in there to cover their arses just in case it falls through. It's why I quit watching all news during Covid and haven't been back to it since. Make the announcement when the deal is done, not "if" it gets done......

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Sunday Ticket became too expensive for me and I have now gotten out of the habit of watching Sunday afternoon games. I swear I come home from church every week and the Titans are playing the Jags and the Saints are playing the Panthers and I just DNGAF.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Realistically though, unless you want to watch a specific team from a totally different area, most people will be paying $40-$60 a game to watch 5-10 games a year

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
From an article

It's always blown my mind as to why the provider wouldn't want to charge like $99/season and pull in millions of more subscribers, but I guess the above explanation is the reason. Unfortunately, it does kinda make sense

I just wish they'd add a single team option like NBA League Pass that is a little more bearable. I'm not paying $300, but I might do $150 or so for just Niners games

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The way this works is most people will end up getting the underlying TV service and possibly the underlying data fiber service as well. Once you do the valuation of that, the money makes sense for Google to do the deal with NFL but not for Apple.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This makes me very happy because I hate ATT company and Direct TV. Direct was okay until AT&T bought them. Prices and customer service went crazy.
I've been waiting on Sunday ticket to come to streaming. I'm glad it's on YouTube tv since that's what I have already

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Realistically though, unless you want to watch a specific team from a totally different area, most people will be paying $40-$60 a game to watch 5-10 games a year
That's still a pretty good deal to watch game you want especially since it cost a lot more to take a family of four to the game if you don't live in that teams market.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
I heard on the radio today that the games will be streaming about 30 seconds behind live action. I bet it’s more than that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login