NIL hearings, NCAA and The Collective Association

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What are you thoughts on the hearing in DC yesterday?

This is one guys summary on the hearings....

You can read what the NCAA wants a few paragraphs down. ....."the NCAA’s top wishes in a federal NIL mandate include an antitrust exemption, preemption over state NIL laws and codifying athletes are not employees."

Of course, OM has a representative as the front man for collectives, or at least the collectives that are apart of the The Collective Association. There are 25 members now.

https://theathletic.com/4684892/2023/07/12/collective-association-nil-ncaa/

Walker said yesterday; “We stand ready to have governance to have oversight to have a federal standard,” he said. “We are ready to work with all our colleagues up here on this panel and with the government where necessary because we’re lucky enough that we deal with the athletes every day. We’re in the trenches with them. We’re in the realities, and we just don’t buy into all the negativity that you hear."

So he wants the Fed Gov to get involved, like the NCAA but he trolls the NCAA President on Twitter.???? Am I understanding this correctly, both he and NCAA want seemingly the same thing, that is the Fed Gov to get involve.

Walker also says..... “We do not participate in the recruiting process,” Jones said. You lose all credibility with that comment.

Seems to me, we are headed towards the players becoming employees. Which is what Jones and Company do NOT want. Even if he doesn't come out and say it. Just an early guess based on comments in the article. Interesting to note, Tuberville is involved.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So they are lobbying for athletes to not become employees, but you think that is where we are headed?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So they are lobbying for athletes to not become employees, but you think that is where we are headed?

That’s not what both are lobbying for. That’s only what the NCAA wants (of course).

The NCAA is fighting for its very right to keep existing. That’s all this boils down to….if they fail you will see schools and entire conferences begin to withdraw from the NCAA within 5-10 years. They would no longer serve any purpose. They already don’t serve any purpose in college football beyond their archaic bowl selection criteria, and academic eligibility requirements.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Awesome, we're asking Congress to regulate something else now, since the US Govt is so efficient at regulating things.

I offer up the US Postal Service, US Social Security System, the IRS, US Homeland Security, US Dept of Education, CDC, FDA, HUD, DOJ as references to begin with.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s not what both are lobbying for. That’s only what the NCAA wants (of course).

The NCAA is fighting for its very right to keep existing. That’s all this boils down to….if they fail you will see schools and entire conferences begin to withdraw from the NCAA within 5-10 years. They would no longer serve any purpose. They already don’t serve any purpose in college football beyond their archaic bowl selection criteria, and academic eligibility requirements.
Well that's my point. Who is fighting for them TO become employees? Or, I guess that could just be a court outcome of all this.

Problem is though, NIL still won't go away. Schools will just pay more on top of this. What a shltshow. At some point we have to just be happy with what we got and stop trying to 'change' everything. Hardly any of the changes have made things better.

patdog

May 28, 2007
.."the NCAA’s top wishes in a federal NIL mandate include an antitrust exemption, preemption over state NIL laws and codifying athletes are not employees."

I think that’s gonna be strike one, strike two, strike three for the NCAA.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I gather the NCAA is lobbying for players to remain amateurs but help from congress to enact rules for NIL. Because nobody is their friend now a days. However the B1G commissioner and ND President and AD agree with the NCAA.

Jones and TCA obviously don't want athletes to become employees because their collective becomes less influential and lose some control. Even though they'll never say it explicitly, I think it's obvious the 24-25 schools in the TCA want amateur status for players and for the Collectives to pay players themselves.

Then there is another group fighting for revenue sharing and the group has filed lawsuits against the ncaa on the Fed and Stafe level for antitrust law violations.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well that's my point. Who is fighting for them TO become employees? Or, I guess that could just be a court outcome of all this.

Problem is though, NIL still won't go away. Schools will just pay more on top of this. What a shltshow. At some point we have to just be happy with what we got and stop trying to 'change' everything. Hardly any of the changes have made things better.
The athletes themselves are fighting for them to become employees, and to a lesser extent so are the collectives. Because if that status is granted, the whole anti-trust thing becomes irreversible if SCOTUS makes official what they have already opined on in the prior cases.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jones and TCA obviously don't want athletes to become employees because they're collective less influential and lose some control. Even though they'll never say it explicitly, I think it's obvious the 24-25 schools in the TCA want amateur status for players and for the Collectives to pay players themselves.
I'd like to know what the salaries would be. If they are all relatively equal, and come from TV money, well, who wouldn't be against that? That would level the playing field for everyone, and we'd be back to recruiting based on coaching, PT, scheme, NFL, etc. And it wouldn't unnecessarily burden John Q. Fan.

But again, boosters will still pay players both under the table and through NIL collectives. I still say one good recession and these collectives will get a lot smaller.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I'd like to know what the salaries would be. If they are all relatively equal, and come from TV money, well, who wouldn't be against that?

But again, boosters will still pay players both under the table and through NIL collectives. I still say one good recession and these collectives will get a lot smaller.
Schools that still want to buy players under the table, with no restrictions on salary and schools that don't want the OTHER school to have the same benefits as them. Why would OM want to be on equal ground with MSU as far as benefits offered.

But I'm afraid you're right. If everyone pays a $50k (No idea, just a wild guess) a year salary to all players. The collectives will still find "deals" for the players they want the most (recruiting wink wink). Even though they "aren't involved" in recruitng.*

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Wouldn’t employee status then apply to all athletes regardless of sport? All intercollegiate sport athletes would require the same pay? So if they pay $50k annually to 300 athletes (guessing on both numbers), that’s $15mil annually. Thats ~35% of the conference check.

ETA: looks like it’s about 525 athletes.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wouldn’t employee status then apply to all athletes regardless of sport? All intercollegiate sport athletes would require the same pay? So if they pay $50k annually to 300 athletes (guessing on both numbers), that’s $15mil annually. Thats ~35% of the conference check.

Lot of sports would get cut.

And even further, why would the salaries even be equal? That seems like it's against the rules, no company operates like that, unless it's some type of regulated industry or hourly type deal.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Lot of sports would get cut.

And even further, why would the salaries even be equal? That seems like it's against the rules, no company operates like that, unless it's some type of regulated industry or hourly type deal.
Isn’t there a requirement for number of sports for membership in SEC? I recall reading that State is at the minimum number of sports to stay in conference.

ETA: the only requirement I found is SEC requires at least two more women’s sports than men’s.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Awesome, we're asking Congress to regulate something else now, since the US Govt is so efficient at regulating things.

I offer up the US Postal Service, US Social Security System, the IRS, US Homeland Security, US Dept of Education, CDC, FDA, HUD, DOJ as references to begin with.
All those organizations are run 1000x better than the DOD. If the public knew how inept, incompetent, inefficient, corrupt, lazy, dumb and wasteful our top military leaders are, there'd be a revolt.

I did get a kick out of one of our posters who was upset over Tuberville holding up General Officer nominations, trust me, the last thing we need it more Generals. Every General adds another layer of what I outlined above. No one makes General based on merit, it's about checking the correct boxes and being a careerist.

Reactions: 60sdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'd like to know what the salaries would be. If they are all relatively equal, and come from TV money, well, who wouldn't be against that? That would level the playing field for everyone, and we'd be back to recruiting based on coaching, PT, scheme, NFL, etc. And it wouldn't unnecessarily burden John Q. Fan.

Doesn’t have to be a salary. Could be a “straight commission” position where athletes just have the formal protections of employees, under federal law, and not just as students.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So if they pay $50k annually to 300 athletes (guessing on both numbers), that’s $15mil annually. Thats ~35% of the conference check.

Exactly. The schools say everything to make nice with athletes but they don't want to pay salaries.

I found an article where it quotes the TCA is wanting revenue share instead of employee status. They suggest $5-10$ million to all the schools in conference. That's much cheaper when broken down to per player at each school.

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/the-co...revenue-sharing-model-ncaa-sec-charlie-baker/

"From there the collective distributes the money to athletes, the TCA leaders said. The third-party option would ensure athletes are not viewed as employees of schools, something TCA has made clear athletes do not want to participate in."

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
America has lost its mind. The gene pool has gone dry. Football was great and we 17 it up and then want congress to 17 it up more and waste their time on such bullsh it.

We need someone up there lobbying to get us Ukraine money for NIL.**

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Lets not try and make this political or a commentary on regulation. If we go down that road, then we would have to address the hundreds of years of history where private organizations/industry straight up dont regulate for the sake of profits, and instead willingly sacrificing safety for money. That road is one way and downhill.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login