NIL Money Players

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
The Office Crying GIF

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
A great head start into adult life with the right advice and discipline not to waste it. Not sure how I would have handled 7 figures at 20.

(Yes, I know some will go on to NFL to get 17 you rich. Many won't and we are observing their peak earnings potential)

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This shows how 17ed up college football is:

1704466071425.png

And these 2:

"What's interesting about Shedeur Sanders' $4 million NIL valuation is that it equals $1 million per 2023 win for the Buffs, which started the season 3-0 and finished with a 4-7 record. "

"1704466356509.png
"He spent the 2023 season as the Longhorns' No. 3 quarterback behind Maalik Murphy and starter Quinn Ewers"

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This shows how 17ed up college football is:

View attachment 497052

And these 2:

"What's interesting about Shedeur Sanders' $4 million NIL valuation is that it equals $1 million per 2023 win for the Buffs, which started the season 3-0 and finished with a 4-7 record. "

"View attachment 497057
"He spent the 2023 season as the Longhorns' No. 3 quarterback behind Maalik Murphy and starter Quinn Ewers"
At least with Shedeur you see him on commercials. He’s actually, at least at some level, doing what NIL should be.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
At least with Shedeur you see him on commercials. He’s actually, at least at some level, doing what NIL should be.
Right. It's probably time we start calling this system something other than NIL for 99% of the athletes that sign these deals. If we are being honest it's pay for play/production. For the most part, nobody gives a damn about these kids outside of TDs, sacks, and INTs. Their likeness is a jersey and a number that's better than the same lined up across from them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right. It's probably time we start calling this system something other than NIL for 99% of the athletes that sign these deals. If we are being honest it's pay for play/production. For the most part, nobody gives a damn about these kids outside of TDs, sacks, and INTs. Their likeness is a jersey and a number that's better than the same lined up across from them.
What else can you call it? The only other thing I can think of to call it is boosters giving gifts. But as long as there is some contract where the player actually 'does' something for the money, it's NIL. I wonder if they could maybe come after the collectives for their stated mission or whatever, but I'm sure that's been doctored by the lawyers too, to say something like advertising or similar. Either way, it's a moot point to try and change that.

The only thing that could change it is for someone to say they are employees of the university. And who can do that?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Good reading. A lot of folks throw around huge numbers (several mil) that these kids are getting, but if the article is close to accurate, only about a dozen players are getting seven figures and most of them (Arch being a notable exception) have proven their worth on the field.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What else can you call it? The only other thing I can think of to call it is boosters giving gifts. But as long as there is some contract where the player actually 'does' something for the money, it's NIL. I wonder if they could maybe come after the collectives for their stated mission or whatever, but I'm sure that's been doctored by the lawyers too, to say something like advertising or similar. Either way, it's a moot point to try and change that.

The only thing that could change it is for someone to say they are employees of the university. And who can do that?
Good question. Hundred Dollar Handshake (HDH)? Whitewashed Booster Donations (WBD)?

A good set of financials would answer a lot of questions but I really don't get the feeling that the payouts to athletes in these collectives are being paid out anywhere close to the marketing value/activities they provide.

Hell, I'm encouraged to donate as just a normal athletics supporter and we are sold that this is the lifeblood of these collectives. What NIL value am I receiving by contributing? Jimmy Bell Jr isn't getting on the gram telling the world how great of an accountant ckDOG is. Some of that may be happening to an extent for the big money corp donations, but surely not but a small fraction of what is donated actually results in a marketing return for anyone. My return would be that Jimmy has a big game and that makes me happy.

@patdog - been a minute since I've thought about LLCs. Any idea how our or other collective LLCs are set up? Who would be the members? Surely the athletes are employees, but are non athletes getting distributions as members of these big dollar orgs? Or are they required to pay out everything to the salaried athletes at some point after a reasonable amount of overhead? So many questions...

patdog

May 28, 2007
@patdog - been a minute since I've thought about LLCs. Any idea how our or other collective LLCs are set up? Who would be the members? Surely the athletes are employees, but are non athletes getting distributions as members of these big dollar orgs? Or are they required to pay out everything to the salaried athletes at some point after a reasonable amount of overhead? So many questions...
I'm sure these athletes everywhere are being paid as 1099 contractors and are responsible for their own self-employment income taxes. I'm also sure they're being provided proper advice from a CPA, and maybe backup withholding so they don't get caught in a bind come April.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
MEh...

The next article down the page on the 15 Best FCS (1AA) Teams was more interesting. Good to see the '89 GA Southern team.
And had totally forgotten that MLB star Vince Coleman was an All-American Kicker at FAMU on their '78 title team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Good question. Hundred Dollar Handshake (HDH)? Whitewashed Booster Donations (WBD)?

A good set of financials would answer a lot of questions but I really don't get the feeling that the payouts to athletes in these collectives are being paid out anywhere close to the marketing value/activities they provide.

Hell, I'm encouraged to donate as just a normal athletics supporter and we are sold that this is the lifeblood of these collectives. What NIL value am I receiving by contributing? Jimmy Bell Jr isn't getting on the gram telling the world how great of an accountant ckDOG is. Some of that may be happening to an extent for the big money corp donations, but surely not but a small fraction of what is donated actually results in a marketing return for anyone. My return would be that Jimmy has a big game and that makes me happy.

I guess I misspoke on them being LLCs. Some may be, but I think the majority are non-profits.

Funny thing is, I have some experience setting up non-profits for travel baseball and some other things. I think one travel baseball team that is set up as an LLC. I would think that an LLC has to eventually make profit? I don't really know, not sure how they pull that off unless they are, in fact, secretly looking to make money and pay salaries (which would be par for the course for most travel baseball organizations. I understand the big ones with multiple teams, but this one was small and only had one team.

So many gray lines. But yeah as far as us donating, we are simply giving donations. The collective is who (supposedly, haha) gets the benefit of the player's NIL advertising.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login