NIL news

Aug 28, 2018
Yeah, I think they should tell him "We wish you the best moving forward in your career" and let him do his thing somewhere else.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Just as I thought, NIL + Transfer Portal equals total free agency for every player in the NCAA basically every year. Yes, you SUPPOSEDLY only get one free transfer but now they are making exceptions for that if your coach changes (which happens very frequently). If they are going to make that exception then its a farce to even have the rule. Just let everyone do whatever they want whenever they want. That is essentially where we are now. I will watch college sports but I'm pretty much done investing my money and travel time to support it. College players now are no more that hired mercenaries. Only rule change left now is where they will no longer even have to attend class if they don't want to.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Tell him they can't increase because he was just the second leading scorer. Only leading scorers command that type of swing around here.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Welcome to the new pay to play model. Every year new deals.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t understand. I thought NIL was only going to involve a select few college stars signing hats and jerseys….

Weird how it took less than a year to develop into something much, much bigger.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The narrative for years was always 'oh these poor kids don't have "walking around money" or "dating money" or "pizza money" and can't get a job because they are always practicing or studying'. It's going to kill the support from the average fans that college sports has had for decades and send them to find other outlets to spend their money on, book it

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Exactly, and to take it one step further, it was also another protest against “The Man” profiting from the system while these poor kids were working in sweat shops as far as public perception was concerned. Nevermind the fact that everyone was greatly benefiting from the old system. Coaches/execs were getting paid, great players were getting a platform for their future NFL careers, good players were getting free rides for the best 4 years of their lives, and fans couldn’t get enough of the product.

Well, congrats to those that won this battle because my favorite sport on god’s green earth may now be 17ed up beyond repair. If nothing else, I foresee some sweeping changes over the next 5-10 years

patdog

May 28, 2007
Who could have possibly seen this coming? Oh wait, a lot of us did & were told we were overreacting.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I agree with both of these statements. The transfer craziness will die down some but it will go hand in hand with NIL. I have loved college football more than the nfl since free agency went nuts. You used to have senior classes who predominately had spent at least 4 years on campus. You got to know them better and when their time was up they went to a different league, but always a Bulldog. The transfer market and nil have given my fandom a shot to the gut.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
This will eventually affect every college sport to some degree...baseball included. The wealthy schools are never going to bypass an ea$y path to a trophy (any trophy) if money is no object.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Without significant NIL and transfer portal & rules reforms, the transfer craziness isn’t going to die down. It’s going to get worse.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
NCAA sports, transfer portals, NIL, coaching salaries, gazillion dollar TV contracts and collegiate athletic budgets.... such a caricature of 21st century 'Merica. It's all just Bread and Circus.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
The problem is - there's no "owner". I do not give money to Atlanta Falcons or Braves players (insert joke here). I buy a ticket, merchandise, and watch their teams on TV. It's up to the owners to pay their players. College NIL is unsustainable because there is no owner. People don't donate money to the Atlanta Falcons, why should they donate it to MSU (or Bama, or A&M...)? It used to be about the tax break, but we don't even get that anymore. The NCAA needs to fix the problem (athletic stipends from TV and ticket revenue in my opinion) and not the symptoms.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don’t understand. I thought NIL was only going to involve a select few college stars signing hats and jerseys…. Weird how it took less than a year to develop into something much, much bigger.
You do realize that this is just ONE guy? All you guys acting like the sky is falling are victims of the social media lie.....every time you get an instance of a guy doing something like this, you think it's widespread. And no doubt, it is certainly real, as we have an example. But he's by far the outlier.

You can also take that to college football recruiting. Do you guys honestly think Texas A&M wasn't buying players? It's like how 20 years ago we used to make fun of the weather men for being wrong all the time. Well now, they can still be generally wrong, but someone can post a video of a tornado and everyone confirms that the weather man was right. Well, he was always right, you just didn't see the proof. But he's still wrong too, because the far majority of people weren't affected by this tornado.

PUT TWITTER/FACEBOOK DOWN. Or at least understand the reality of it. And it's not just that, it's news too. There were people in countries all around the world who truly thought America was melting down and that it was a dangerous country back in Summer 2020, simply because of the news reports. It's asinine.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yeah, I think they should tell him "We wish you the best moving forward in your career" and let him do his thing somewhere else.
These primadonnas are going to write their own checks, and the fallout will be funny as hell. Taxes, lack of budget, etc. Guys that were on the take before generally get you in trouble. If I'm anyone involved at MSU, I do it like we did before - if a guy can handle a small NIL, like Will Rogers, more power to him. But the big recruits, usually on the defensive side of the ball, will still get money under the table. And we have to be smart about how we do it, like always. We aren't going to win this NIL war, so we should take character guys to want to truly play football and not be social media darlings, and mine the portal for Georgia's and Alabama's leftovers.

Screw bitching about it, it's been a long time coming. Time to adapt or die.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
17 college sports

Just wait for it....Some school like TEXA$ A&M gives some ghetto kid 1 million dollars and his momma a new house. then the dumb bastard robs a 7-11 and goes to jail before he plays a down or shoots a hoop in college. Then the school/booster sues to recoup the $$$$$$ only to find out he already spent it on hookers and gold teeth.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The facts have always been that a group of business owners (schools) colluded with each other to run a multi million, and now maybe a billion, dollar business. They controlled almost every job in the country. They paid their workers with a service that was pennies on the dollar because the value of the barter wasn't really costing them anywhere near the advertised value. Many of these workers then had to accept a barter they really had no interest in to remain eligible for the real reason they were there. They then made rules that these same workers were capped at $2,000(up to $5,000 in more recent times) a year to make money on their own that had nothing to do with the school. No other scholarship receiving student at the school was subject to an earnings cap. They also then used these workers in all their advertising again not paying them any additional money. They also signed them to single year scholarships and could revoke that scholarship for any reason. In sports that worked on partial scholarships, they renegotiated that scholarship each year and the worker effectively had no choice if they wanted to play the next year. So when the people running the business were being paid millions, it became ridiculously unfair. These workers for so long had no recourse to fight any of these rules. The overwhelming majority of these rules were in place to protect the owners and not the workers. The owners had many chances to distribute the profits more equitably, but refused to upset the apple cart. That caused others to get involved. So that's were we are now.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I cant imagine anyone wanting to watch a sport where players are getting paid.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
had many chances to distribute the profits more equitably. There's the "million dollar question" .... define equitable.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Definitely a tough question. But they avoided ever trying to answer it. They did nothing. But paying ADs and Coaches millions and the workers nothing sure isn't it.

And before we get into they are being paid with an $100,000 education argument, Can McDonalds get away with paying their employees with hamburgers? Say a McDonalds told it's employees we will feed your family 3 times a day. So at menu prices that is $100-$125 dollars a day which is $500 - $700 per week which is $26,000 to $37,000 per year. It wouldn't cost McDonalds any where near that and no one would go for it.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Exactly, and to take it one step further, it was also another protest against “The Man” profiting from the system while these poor kids were working in sweat shops as far as public perception was concerned. Nevermind the fact that everyone was greatly benefiting from the old system. Coaches/execs were getting paid, great players were getting a platform for their future NFL careers, good players were getting free rides for the best 4 years of their lives, and fans couldn’t get enough of the product.

Well, congrats to those that won this battle because my favorite sport on god’s green earth may now be 17ed up beyond repair. If nothing else, I foresee some sweeping changes over the next 5-10 years

The people making the money still aren't paying anything. The people paying the money aren't getting anything back. There are likely very few NIL deals where the payer is making anything close to their money back in additional business or sales of tshirts, etc.

I predict the crazy high deals will soon go away, when the NIL funders realize they aren't getting squat out of it and their teams still aren't winning. I don't care how much money those A&M alums have, they won't be giving that much money away forever when A&M keeps going 8-4/9-3 or even 10-2 and never winning the West.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login