NIL Update…

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Turns out our NIL issues may not have been on the fanbase but on another factor.... If i'm reading this tweet correctly, BI has picked up 600 new members and 500,000 in new annual pledges this week. That means the average pledge is $833. That is well done by msu fans and a lot of people still do not know about BI

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I'm fascinated by the timing of events that led to an email from Bracky Brett promoting the NIL. Did Cohen choose not to promote it, or did he just not think to do so? Was the email from Bracky prompted by pressure from the national media?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm fascinated by the timing of events that led to an email from Bracky Brett promoting the NIL. Did Cohen choose not to promote it, or did he just not think to do so? Was the email from Bracky prompted by pressure from the national media?
Publicly, we could not send that email until about a week ago. However, behind the scenes, who knows.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So what is the narrative here?

Cohen was so universally loathed that huge numbers of our fans refused to give anything until he was gone?

Athletic department outreach got 200% more effective in 24 hours at letting people know where / how to send money? (This seems a little unlikely)

Fans saw Cohen leaving as a wake up call for NIL importance, and decided to get more involved?

None of those by themselves seems likely to be responsible for a $500k windfall in a day….I’m assuming its a combo of all 3.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There's a story only a few people know and we won't ever know about all of this. And I'm glad not to know. Moving on.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

Cohen was so universally loathed that huge numbers of our fans refused to give anything until he was gone?

Athletic department outreach got 200% more effective in 24 hours at letting people know where / how to send money? (This seems a little unlikely)

Fans saw Cohen leaving as a wake up call for NIL importance, and decided to get more involved?

None of those by themselves seems likely to be responsible for a $500k windfall in a day….I’m assuming its a combo of all 3.
We're in a day and time when political correctness has kept a lot of people at least "muffled" on some things. John Cohen was a detriment to MSU the last several years in many ways. His being there put a bad taste in the mouth of many but they never vented their reason because the didn't want to get "involved". We just need to make a good hire and put him in the past.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

It’s a combination of things. The Dellenger article made people aware of NIL/BI, people are starting to realize its here to stay and how important it is, and most of all, people generally come out firing when they feel someone has taken a shot at them.

An email from the interim AD helps as well. As noted above this email could not have come from the school until 8-10 days ago bc of ncaa regs.

But the Cohen departure/Dellenger article will be the best thing to happen to us from an NIL standpoint and probably otherwise.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
We're in a day and time when political correctness has kept a lot of people at least "muffled" on some things. John Cohen was a detriment to MSU the last several years in many ways. His being there put a bad taste in the mouth of many but they never vented their reason because the didn't want to get "involved". We just need to make a good hire and put him in the past.
Facts, I’m in multiple MSU text groups and I can’t tell you how many times this has been mentioned in the past.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Muffled on what things?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login