NIL / Zavion News

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Are these two things connected? I would think if Zavion enters the portal - he’s taking Google $ with him.

Be cool if we had a Google employee pulling strings.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Try to name a more talented receiver MSU has had in the past since Eric Moulds. I don’t know Zavion’s 40 time, but he has good draft potential. He’s stout for his height too.

Reactions: patdog

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Try to name a more talented receiver MSU has had in the past since Eric Moulds. I don’t know Zavion’s 40 time, but he has good draft potential. He’s stout for his height too.
I gotta pump the breaks there. Zavion is a solid WR and elite return man, but I can’t call him most talented WR since Moulds.

He has 33 career receptions for 349 yards and 1 Rec TD. Explosive KR/PR, but we haven’t seen much from him on the offensive side of the ball yet.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I gotta pump the breaks there. Zavion is a solid WR and elite return man, but I can’t call him most talented WR since Moulds.

He has 33 career receptions for 349 yards and 1 Rec TD. Explosive KR/PR, but we haven’t seen much from him on the offensive side of the ball yet.
I saw him make a great one handed catch on the sideline while being mugged for a clutch first down when we needed it against A&M I believe. My thoughts on him are we haven’t given him the ball enough. He’s just starting to show fans what he can do. He’s one of the few wr’s who can make a defender miss, outrun him or break a tackle. He also doesn’t drop passes.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I can’t stand NIL either but that’s just how it works now. If State didn’t make the effort to keep talented players they would be gone.
Yep. I’m slowly coming around on all this. And my hair has a gray/blue tint to it.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Zavion has caught my eye. His stats may not be eye popping, but he is just a true soph. He didn’t play on offense much as a fresh because he wasn’t ready and hadn’t had reps necessary in air raid. Early this year he was out some because he had been stepped on in practice. He has taken a punt and now a ko to the house in his career. And has suffered poor qb play in the 2nd half of this season. I believe he could be the best wr leech recruited. He is dynamic and does have the potential to play at the next level. Very talented player. Lsu (his dream school) will come a calling this off season. He is from Louisiana and was not offered by LSU out of high school. He entered the portal last off season hoping to go there and something fell through. He either didn’t get a scholarship offer in portal or did and we came in and gave him a better nil deal. I suspect they will throw some money at him this off season.

Last edited:
Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

Cryptocurrency Defi GIF by 1inch

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
While I understand the sentiment, we better either keep a qb or find a qb first. These three don't go, without a qb and somewhat of an offensive line.
Chicken or the egg theory here. Keeping guys like that (although I think Woody is gone) will make it more attractive to a prospective QB transfer.

bigmixx72

Nov 15, 2023
While I understand the sentiment, we better either keep a qb or find a qb first. These three don't go, without a qb and somewhat of an offensive line.
For sure. I think Parson will be fine once we get a competent head coach/OC that can develop him. I think overall we have decent talent on this team but the offensive scheme was a terrible fit.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Hard to judge our WRs because we have been so ****** at everything on offense. Even if we had Eric Moulds on the roster, I'm not sure we would even throw him 50/50 balls to win consistently.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Its almost like, MSU cannot coach our QBs to actually use their WR weapons. For instance, why the F is Tulu only running screens and jet sweeps? Have we not targeted him deep down field since SC game? Let the man run a deep route for God's sake. He is greased lighting in a bottle with these screen passes.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
OL, QB, RB, and then WRs. Sure do all of those at the same time, but if you don't do the first one listed, none of the other ones matter.

Reactions: Dogdazey

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Hard to judge our WRs because we have been so ****** at everything on offense. Even if we had Eric Moulds on the roster, I'm not sure we would even throw him 50/50 balls to win consistently.
For sure, and from a pure talent perspective Zavion is certainly on the list. But I would have Tulu above him since we've seen both the raw talent with better production.

Zavion is very similar to Ray Ray Bivines to me. Certainly talented, but doesn't really have a ton of production to back it up (yet). A few names that come to mind of most talented WRs since Moulds would be Fred Ross, Bumphis, RaRa and of course Tulu. Could throw De'Runnya in there, but he was always pretty raw but certainly had great production.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Would you care to elaborate further on this? Hopefully without the whole "When I was a kid, I walked to school uphill both ways" argument.
It’s not some deep thought. I just think it sucks. I know there were always mercs, but you could at least pretend we all had something in common, and that it was semi about sports. Not anymore. There used to be cool stories about how programs built up and fell off, now we have NIL valuations in crootin sites. That just sucks.

I honestly think it’d be better to pay them small salaries out of TV money. But NIL will not be reeled back now, so toothpaste/tube I suppose.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It’s not some deep thought. I just think it sucks. I know there were always mercs, but you could at least pretend we all had something in common, and that it was semi about sports. Not anymore. There used to be cool stories about how programs built up and fell off, now we have NIL valuations in crootin sites. That just sucks.

I honestly think it’d be better to pay them small salaries out of TV money. But NIL will not be reeled back now, so toothpaste/tube I suppose.
I understand the sentiment about the NIL. We went from putting money in an account for tv and marketing dollars made on the players to the entire team driving new pickup trucks and Six digit salaries.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login