NIL's bigger effect

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Is it going to be on basketball or football ? Just watching the tournament makes me wonder. I'm thinking it's effect is going to be more unpredictable in basketball because the talent will be spread of more teams. Football, I think we can pretty much see the writing on the wall with it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Obviously I dnk the entire picture but it seems with baseball we paid two guys just to have them come back. Are they difference makers? Not really.

I heard some talk of offering Tolu Smith NIL to come back but then the next sentence is he will be undrafted. So where is the demand to have to pay the guy? From employers in the real world? Although it would be great if he came back.

anyways, yes. We need to spend smarter and get some talent in here.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Obviously I dnk the entire picture but it seems with baseball we paid two guys just to have them come back. Are they difference makers? Not really.

I heard some talk of offering Tolu Smith NIL to come back but then the next sentence is he will be undrafted. So where is the demand to have to pay the guy? From employers in the real world? Although it would be great if he came back.

I think you are trying to offer Tolu what he’d get overseas. Really less than that but make it enough so it’s worth it to stay.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Save up your NIL money and front load on superstar players. Still pissed we didn’t empty the chamber for Skenes.
I keep seeing this and I've got news, Skenes was NEVER coming here regardless. It was all about Wes Johnson. Our NIL was significant. Skenes has even donated a chunked of his NIL already. LSU hired an incredible staff. We've got a pitching killer in Foxhall. I wouldn't let my kid play for Foxhall either.

Reactions: 8dog

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think you are trying to offer Tolu what he’d get overseas. Really less than that but make it enough so it’s worth it to stay.
I’m not sure what his prospects are even overseas. He is a back to the basket post player that can’t shoot outside of 8 feet. 20 years ago he would be in the NBA but he’s s dinosaur now.

Reactions: paindonthurt

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

It’s “TOLU”!!!! Oh wait. Never mind. Good job.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I’m not sure what his prospects are even overseas. He is a back to the basket post player that can’t shoot outside of 8 feet. 20 years ago he would be in the NBA but he’s s dinosaur now.
Yeah, I hate it for Tolu. I love what he’s given us. He’s a tremendous player, but his game does not translate professionally.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
That’s fair but good coaches will find a way to use him.

Maybe not in the nba but surely he’ll get a chance to make $150k plus in Europe or Asia

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
So where is the demand to have to pay the guy?
Tolu likely has a future in G-Leauge or a European league. I don't know the going rate for either, but at minimum will have to beat that.

G-League also comes with a chance to get called up even if you're not signed to a 2 way contract (ex: Craig Sword).

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yes the game over here is one where big men need to be able to step out and occasionally hit a shot. But really, not many post players are doing that. The small handful that are, are viewed as superstars.

How many 3s or even deep 2s is Mark Williams putting up? Deandre Ayton? Bam Adebayo? Andre Drummond? Clint Capela?
These guys are all in the top 20 of PER for Centers, and there are many others who arent viewed as shooters too.
PF spot is another story- there are many more in the top 20 who are launching from deep.

The game has changed compared to 20 years ago, but not nearly as much at the 5 and even now there is surely space on various international rosters for a college double double player who has great footwork in the paint.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I keep seeing this and I've got news, Skenes was NEVER coming here regardless. It was all about Wes Johnson. Our NIL was significant. Skenes has even donated a chunked of his NIL already. LSU hired an incredible staff. We've got a pitching killer in Foxhall. I wouldn't let my kid play for Foxhall either.
Starting to think Skenes made a good decision given the lack of development of our pitchers under Foxhall. All of our best pitchers right now have less than a full season of coaching from Foxhall. Guys that have been in the program have all either seemingly regressed or gotten injured. Of course I still don't understand the draw to Wes "Tommy John" Johnson either. When he was at MSU he basically put the entire pitching staff on the DL.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Tolu likely has a future in G-Leauge or a European league. I don't know the going rate for either, but at minimum will have to beat that.

G-League also comes with a chance to get called up even if you're not signed to a 2 way contract (ex: Craig Sword).
He needs to come back to work on his free throws. He really needs an extra coach just for that area of his game. LOL

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is it going to be on basketball or football ? Just watching the tournament makes me wonder. I'm thinking it's effect is going to be more unpredictable in basketball because the talent will be spread of more teams. Football, I think we can pretty much see the writing on the wall with it.
Football just because there was already a crazy amount going to good basketball players. I'm not sure opening up legitimate payments is going to change that market that much. I think the numbers would get eyepopping enough that donors would balk. In football, there are so many players to spread money around to, I think it will really give programs with a rich donor base that for whatever reason haven't capitalized a chance to step up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think it will really give programs with a rich donor base that for whatever reason haven't capitalized a chance to step up.
This is exactly what will happen. I don't really know about basketball, but in football, this will be where the biggest shakeups are. State and Ole Miss aren't going to become powers, nor are we going to regress. But at the top, schools like Alabama who have 'plenty' of money but their biggest calling card is their football culture, will lose some ground. Those top guys will opt for Tennessee, Miami, etc. or whoever is willing to spend. Basically we're talking about the high 4 stars and 5 star players.

This is good for MSU. Shake up the top and bust up these monopolies, makes it easier for us to pick them off, even if they are technically more talented.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login