No baseball, no politics - JUST FOOTBALL!

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
What are you most looking forward to - on the field - this year when it comes to our football program?

1. Linebacker play
2. Will Rogers leading a new offense
3. Arnett-led game intensity

What are you most concerned about?

1. Will Rogers leading a new offense
2. O-line play
3. cautious/unimaginative play calling

Whatchu got?

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
RB depth. I assume Woody will get banged up and come out a lot as he has in the past. Who will step up and help carry the load in an offense that is supposed to run more (or any)? Second would be safeties. How will the new guys play?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
OL #1 - 6th year, 23 years old (Smith)
OL #2 - 6th year, 23 years old (Kam)
OL #3 - 6th year, 23 years old (Dolla Bill)
OL #4 - 5th year, 22 years old (Nick Jones)
OL #5 - 5th year, will be 22 in a few days (Lasoya)

That's not counting Albert Reese (3rd year) or Percy Lewis (4th year).

I would normally stop there, because that answers your question. But then we've also got 2 older TEs, older and talented WRs, and older talented RB and a 4-year starting QB who is accurate. What's not to like on offense?

I would go defense but while I expect them to be good, I give them a pass because losing Forbes and Young will hurt. Good news is we have replacements but no one will fill those shoes so no reason to expect it.

ETA: Then I go look at Banks, DeCam, etc. available to replace the DBs. And look at Crumedy, Harris, Pickering and Davis on the DL, before factoring in other guys like Russell (older and younger) or Travion Williams. Then we all know who we got at LB. It's time to make a run.

Last edited:

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
How much is the O-Line play going to be affected by changing systems? Are the wide splits gone?

We've got an experienced OL but experienced in 3 years of Leach Air-Raid.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m excited about the D. Hoping it doesn’t drop off now that Arnett’s duties are more broad.

interested to see the offense and hoping it clicks. Concern is that it won’t and it’ll feel like a poor man’s version of 2018 season.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
What are you most looking forward to - on the field - this year when it comes to our football program?

1. Linebacker play

2. O-line play

Whatchu got?
I’m excited to see our OL moving forward for once. I’m sure they are excited about not having to be on skates for the entire game. Also excited to see what Marks can do when his back isn’t to the defense 60% of the time he has the ball.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I'm curious to see if we will have a competent kicker this year or if the endless cycle of duds will continue. Also a little curious to see Arnett's in game management/adjustments and end of game management especially on offense. Is he going to let Barbay do what he will, or will he have any input?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

1. Linebacker play

2. O-line play

Whatchu got?
I just want to see a team, figuratively, playing chess out there instead of checkers. I don't want to see a stud TE/WR matched up with a slow LB all damn game torching us all damn game without an adjustment. I don't want to see it take 2 quarters to see a RB moved over to help block a DE that keeps torching our OT.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

1. Linebacker play

2. O-line play

Whatchu got?
I'm most concerned about the OL. We must shore up our options with the portal before next season. We are a few injured players away from possible disaster. I am also very concerned about a backup quarterback, or we are also an injury away from a disaster there.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

1. Linebacker play

2. O-line play

Whatchu got?
1. / 2.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm most concerned about the OL. We must shore up our options with the portal before next season. We are a few injured players away from possible disaster. I am also very concerned about a backup quarterback, or we are also an injury away from a disaster there.
This is the deepest OL I can remember, see my post above. Next year, it could be a disaster, yes. But modern day college sports is year to year. Hard to think about the future.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I just want to see a team, figuratively, playing chess out there instead of checkers. I don't want to see a stud TE/WR matched up with a slow LB all damn game torching us all damn game without an adjustment. I don't want to see it take 2 quarters to see a RB moved over to help block a DE that keeps torching our OT.
Shades of the last couple of Kentucky games.....

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
QB - I think Will be solid, but not dynamic and we need dynamic QB play to break the 7/8 win regular season win ceiling. He did have a couple of great throws in the spring game though. I think his long ball has improved.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I hate to use the old cliche that the QB is the most important cog in the wheel but it's true. This team's success lies with Rogers. If he can elevate is game to more like Dak then Costello this can be a special year. Depending on his play should be a win spread of between 7 to 11 games

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I hate to use the old cliche that the QB is the most important cog in the wheel but it's true. This team success lies with Rogers. If he can elevate is game to more like Dak then Costello this can be a special year. Depending on his play should be a win spread of between 7 to 11 games
Will is a lot closer to Costello than he is to Dak.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is the deepest OL I can remember, see my post above. Next year, it could be a disaster, yes. But modern day college sports is year to year. Hard to think about the future.
I don't have a lot of experience. You saw what happened last year, if we lost one player, our line fell apart. That could've been personnel we had to use in those situations, but I still haven't seen anything that shows me we have a lot of OL ready to go. We do have 10 OL players with 3 Grad students. I'm just concerned if we have to go two or three deep in our backups.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
RB depth. I assume Woody will get banged up and come out a lot as he has in the past. Who will step up and help carry the load in an offense that is supposed to run more (or any)? Second would be safeties. How will the new guys play?
RB depth should be the least of your worries.
If we have a decent O-line we’ll have a good running game unless our only option is paindonthurt as #2.

Reactions: josebrown

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Looking forward to the defensive line play.

Most concerned about Rogers maneuverability vs opposing DLines.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login