No college basketball jersey ends in 6,7,8 or 9

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Rumor is that one player wore each of these throughout each college year and subsequently had each # retired. Who's that player?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
As I recall, the reason is so the ref can signal to the scorer with one hand who a foul is on. As an example, #15 the ref would flash one finger and then 5. It would create a lot more confusion if you using 2 hands say for #19.
That’s the reason I’m pretty sure.

Reactions: Dawgg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
As I recall, the reason is so the ref can signal to the scorer with one hand who a foul is on. As an example, #15 the ref would flash one finger and then 5. It would create a lot more confusion if you using 2 hands say for #19.
As someone that served as scorekeeper for a couple minor league games back in the day, I can fully confirm that this gets confusing as 17 to stay on top of. I’m quite certain that I completely butchered the stats

The league I helped out with was in Jackson around 2006, and it only lasted 3 weeks before folding, but it was a virtual who’s who of former SEC villains. On the positive side, Richard Williams was assisting one team, and Lincoln Smith was on the Jackson roster. On the other side of the fence, Torris Bright and Roy Rogers were involved among quite a few others. A crazy reminder of the razor thin line between NBA riches and making $200/game

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
So why is it no problem in the NBA?
My guess back in the day there used to be many upset fans from both high school and college where rest would foul players out and then call 10 seconds as well before they reach half court. That's why you see them clearly. Count 10 seconds now with their hands and also it has to be very clear who committed the foul so that the scorekeeper does not get it wrong.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
So why is it no problem in the NBA?

1. Jersey sales. 2. Everyone knows who all the players are and all the stats/data are more sophisticated and visible so it easier to track.

Here is an article:

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The only number disallowed in the NBA is 69. (no sarcasterisks)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login