No reason to play a hard OOC matchup anymore….

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
….mainly because the mouth breathers will criticize you for HeAd To HeAd!!!111

Until the whole country does it, eff that noise. SEC needs to get rid of that rule pronto.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

Until the whole country does it, eff that noise. SEC needs to get rid of that rule pronto.
The good news is the SEC probably eliminates that rule with the upcoming expansion. The bad news is the SEC will probably go to a nine game conferences schedule.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The good news is the SEC probably eliminates that rule with the upcoming expansion. The bad news is the SEC will probably go to a nine game conferences schedule.
No doubt.

Think about this - if Texas had lost one more game, of all the close games this year, no one would be here clamoring for them to get in, head to head or not. That's how stupid it all is.

Either way, I will laugh at the hypocrisy, and especially will laugh at Alabama.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Just Wait Cobra Kai GIF by NETFLIX

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
No doubt.

Think about this - if Texas had lost one more game, of all the close games this year, no one would be here clamoring for them to get in, head to head or not. That's how stupid it all is.

Either way, I will laugh at the hypocrisy, and especially will laugh at Alabama.
Can’t you say the same for Bama? I mean they are a miracle ending against auburn from not even being discussed

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think it’ll be a 9-game SEC schedule plus the P4 OOC requirement. With the 12-team playoff there’s less risk of missing playoff if you lose that game & it’s better for tv ratings than a game vs Southern Miss.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think it’ll be a 9-game SEC schedule plus the P4 OOC requirement. With the 12-team playoff there’s less risk of missing playoff if you lose that game & it’s better for tv ratings than a game vs Southern Miss.
We will see after today.

Bama gets left out, that mandate disappears.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Eliminating those types of games (either the nonconference or the added conference game) is bad for college football. As many fans are being driven away by all the NIL, portal, and conference manifest destiny nonsense, the last thing that needs to be happening is fewer competitive games in the regular season.

We’re in 2023 and there are so many dead accurate metrics that can tell you who the best teams are. And there’s one much less accurate method - overall record. But that’s the one people can’t seem to ever look past no matter how much other info is available. It makes sense in the NFL, where all teams are more or less even, and play very similar schedules. But in college football, its stupid.

Reactions: patdog

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012

Why? Just win them. Texas did and it most likely is the main reason they'll probably get in. FSU scheduled two SEC OOC games and won both. Just win baby

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why? Just win them. Texas did and it most likely is the main reason they'll probably get in. FSU scheduled two SEC OOC games and won both. Just win baby
They did? Seems to me they lost to Oklahoma, who isn't even being considered.

This is the counter-point that absolutely demolishes head to head metrics.

• Love
Reactions: AROB44

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Y'all realize we're going to a 12 team playoff next season, right? Whoever gets left out this year will seem to be screwed, but with 12 teams they would get in.

We will still have arguments over the last two teams in, and the top 4 seeds, but it won't be as impactful.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Eliminating those types of games (either the nonconference or the added conference game) is bad for college football. As many fans are being driven away by all the NIL, portal, and conference manifest destiny nonsense, the last thing that needs to be happening is fewer competitive games in the regular season.

We’re in 2023 and there are so many dead accurate metrics that can tell you who the best teams are. And there’s one much less accurate method - overall record. But that’s the one people can’t seem to ever look past no matter how much other info is available. It makes sense in the NFL, where all teams are more or less even, and play very similar schedules. But in college football, its stupid.
Agree, but until the committee proves it won't penalize you....why do it?

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019

Do you not see how that goes the other way?

Why would Texas challenge themselves again OOC if it doesn't help them in the end?

The human brain is amazing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Why would Texas challenge themselves again OOC if it doesn't help them in the end?

Read post #7, smartass. Might ought to be more concerned with your own brain, in particular, reading comprehension, or really just.....reading.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
No doubt.

If we would have won 8 more games we’d be in. These ifs are quite comical

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They did? Seems to me they lost to Oklahoma, who isn't even being considered.

This is the counter-point that absolutely demolishes head to head metrics.
You have a better chance if you argue against Florida State than Texas. Texas barely lost to Oklahoma in their huge rivalry game earlier in the season. if Alabama was a great team, they should have beaten Auburn easily instead of by the skin of their teeth and Auburn would have a hard time beating eggs. So you can sit and make these arguments all day with Texas and Alabama. Texas played more bowl teams but Alabama played a stronger schedule on paper. You can go on and on and on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You have a better chance if you argue against Florida State than Texas. Texas barely lost to Oklahoma in their huge rivalry game earlier in the season. if Alabama was a great team, they should have beaten Auburn easily instead of by the skin of their teeth and Auburn would have a hard time beating eggs. So you can sit and make these arguments all day with Texas and Alabama. Texas played more bowl teams but Alabama played a stronger schedule on paper. You can go on and on and on.
Again, if the committee thinks Texas' overall resume is better, people can live with that.

Not just a random head to head matchup. I guess Virginia Tech should have been in in 2014. Ole Miss should have gone to the BCS in 2008?

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
There will always be legitimate arguments to be made for who gets in and who gets left out. Chaos is fun!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Because if Texas had gone 13-0, that win over Bama would be the sole reason they got in. Or, also apply that if Bama doesn’t hit the 4th and 31, but still beats UGA. There would be no argument at all to be had in either of those cases. But they didn’t go 13-0. And Bama did hit that play.

Saying they would have gotten no benefit from it if they don’t get in the CFP over Bama makes no sense. They got a huge bump from it, whether they end up getting in the CFP or not. Its literally the only reason they aren’t sitting on the outside looking in with Ohio State right now.

For the record, I’ve changed my position and do think Bama and Texas both should be in. I think FSU’s schedule is the biggest black mark of any metric for any team being considered.

Last edited:

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
Because if Texas had gone 13-0, that win over Bama would be the sole reason they got in. Or, also apply that if Bama doesn’t hit the 4th and 31, but still beats UGA. There would be no argument at all to be had in either of those cases. But they didn’t go 13-0. And Bama did hit that play.

Saying they would have gotten no benefit from it if they don’t get in the CFP over Bama makes no sense. They got a huge bump from it, whether they end up getting in the CFP or not. Its literally the only reason they aren’t sitting on the outside looking in with Ohio State right now.

So if Bama jumps Texas that 10 point WIN, on the road, out of conference, where they took a risk and challenged themselves (which is the whole premise of this thread) still HELPED Texas? You will only convince the members of Team SEC.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Then put Oklahoma in automatically. I mean they beat Texas.

I wish someone would address this instead of just putting your head in the sand.

Obviously you know that's ridiculous, but it's just as ridiculous to keep bringing up a close loss to Oklahoma as a resume killer vs Bama's resume (if that's not your argument, I apologize, it's hard to keep up).

Oklahoma was 10-2 this year with a great win over Texas and two close road losses to solid Top 25 caliber teams. Probably about the 10th best team in the country.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

So if Bama jumps Texas that 10 point WIN, on the road, out of conference, where they took a risk and challenged themselves (which is the whole premise of this thread) still HELPED Texas? You will only convince the members of Team SEC.
I was saying that its not as simple as just turning the argument around and saying “Well why should Texas play any tough OOC???”

Texas obviously had to have that win to be in consideration. They got a bigger benefit from that win than perhaps any team has ever gotten from scheduling an OOC blue blood. They play in a crap conference. You replace that game with a win over Western Kentucky, and they are 12-1, 7th in the Final CFP, with no chance whatsoever of getting in. That win is their entire resume.

Bama, on the other hand, didn’t need that game at all. They play in the best league, and went 9-0 in it. Replace that game with a win over Western Kentucky, and they are undefeated and the #1 CFP seed, hands down. But they played it anyway, and they may have taken a bigger hit than any team ever has from scheduling an OOC blue blood.

That’s why its not an apples-to-apples argument, and Bama (or any SEC blue blood, really) has far more incentive to not schedule those types of games in the future than a Big 12 team would….if they end up getting screwed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Obviously you know that's ridiculous, but it's just as ridiculous to keep bringing up a close loss to Oklahoma as a resume killer vs Bama's resume (if that's not your argument, I apologize, it's hard to keep up).

Oklahoma was 10-2 this year with a great win over Texas and two close road losses to solid Top 25 caliber teams. Probably about the 10th best team in the country.
Then say that, rather than just screaming head to head and that's it, which is not consistent across the board, throughout history.

I may agree that Texas' resume is better. That includes the Bama win, but is not defined by it.

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
I was saying that its not as simple as just turning the argument around and saying “Well why should Texas play any tough OOC???”

Texas obviously had to have that win to be in consideration. They got a bigger benefit from that win than perhaps any team has ever gotten from scheduling an OOC blue blood. They play in a crap conference. You replace that game with a win over Western Kentucky, and they are 12-1, 7th in the Final CFP, with no chance whatsoever of getting in. That win is their entire resume.

Bama, on the other hand, didn’t need that game at all. They play in the best league, and went 9-0 in it. Replace that game with a win over Western Kentucky, and they are undefeated and the #1 CFP seed, hands down. But they played it anyway, and they may have taken a bigger hit than any team ever has from scheduling an OOC blue blood.

That’s why its not an apples-to-apples argument, and Bama (or any SEC blue blood, really) has far more incentive to not schedule those types of games in the future than a Big 12 team would….if they end up getting screwed.
I won't argue that if Bama plays WKU instead they are obviously in and that did ultimately hurt them.

However they have always obliterated their OOC P5 opponent. And that is what is carrying water for THIS years Bama team that struggled multiple times against bad teams and got outclassed by a different conference champion at home. The resume comparison is built on years past and not the reality of now

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
I'd also argue that if Georgia played someone of the likes of Oregon/Washington/FSU this year and won, they'd be feeling a whole lot better right now. Their lack of an additional P5 opponent is giving them no shot

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The resume comparison is built on years past and not the reality of now
I think Bama’s resume is overall a stronger one than Texas just based on this year. They have more Top 25 wins than anyone. They have 3 wins as good or better than FSU or Texas’ best win (besides Texas’ win over Alabama). It can be easily argued that wins over UGA, LSU, and OM trump the head-to-head loss. Those are all real things this year that no one is talking about.

The other thing no one’s talking about is how bad FSU’s schedule is, and how you have to go all the way down to #9 Mizzou in the rankings to find a team that lost to a school that was as good as FSU’s best win was. That’s why I say just put Bama / Texas in. FSU is just a slightly better version of 2017 UCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
There's a lot of things against that 9 game SEC schedule. Unless there's a big money pull from tv, it's not happening because a lot of folks are against it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They beat two SEC teams…one of which has the likely Heisman Trophy winner.
#55 SOS. And Bama beat that same SEC team with Heisman Trophy winner, plus 2 more teams that were even better. Their schedule is bad and they don’t have any wins that aren’t exceeded by every other team in the picture (even including UGA and Ohio State).

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
#55 SOS. And Bama beat that same SEC team with Heisman Trophy winner, plus 2 more teams that were even better. Their schedule is bad and they don’t have any wins that aren’t exceeded by every other team in the picture (even including UGA and Ohio State).

Michigan's schedule wasn't much better. They probably didn't play a Top 50 team in their first 9 games.

But they were completely dominant in those games with the smallest margin of victory at 24 points. Then they handled Penn State and Ohio State and manhandled Iowa, only allowing them over the 50 twice.

Their only hiccup vs expectations all season was a 7 point win at Maryland between Penn St and OSU.

They played so many weaklings it's easy to criticize them, but damn they've been consistent.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login