Norris Ashley

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I had to play against 3-4 of his Ingomar teams in the early 80's when I was in high school. The levels of discipline & basketball IQ in those teams was so high. The Ingomar kids used to say that they "learned basketball & played school" while everyone else "played basketball & learned school"

Edit to add - Ingomar (150 kids in grades 9-12) regularly played and competed well with Tupelo at Tupelo (1300-1400 kids in grades 9-12) back in the early 80's.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaroonSadness99

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I remember him quite well. Ingomar was one of the the strongest small school basketball programs ever when I played 40 years ago. I had a chance to see basketball and all those small Hill Country schools. I even get a chance to broadcast a couple of games for radio for some girl's playoff games at Hickory Flat.

Ingomar, Myrtle, New Site, Wheeler, Jumpertown, Ashland, etc... the list goes on. They were scattered all over North Mississippi. It really was like the movie Hoosiers living and visiting around some of those towns. They usually had no football so they shot hoops all year long in practice and in games.

You have to go to a basketball game at one of those old wood gyms at least once.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’m a New Albany boy and we were king of the hill in the mid 80s. The Union county tournament was something to see. Those 1 A teams were something to see.Sand Flat, Ashland, Hickory Flat, Myrtle, East and West Union, Potts Camp, Wheeler and more played about 50 games per year that’s all they had

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
I’m a New Albany boy and we were king of the hill in the mid 80s. The Union county tournament was something to see. Those 1 A teams were something to see.Sand Flat, Ashland, Hickory Flat, Myrtle, East and West Union, Potts Camp, Wheeler and more played about 50 games per year that’s all they had
The Turkey Tournament at Wheeler was a regular stop for me

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
1,697 wins and 9 state championships and coached 41 years at the same school...........

Great story Rick! Would have loved to read what Orley would have said. Miss that guy.....

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I had to play against 3-4 of his Ingomar teams in the early 80's when I was in high school. The levels of discipline & basketball IQ in those teams was so high. The Ingomar kids used to say that they "learned basketball & played school" while everyone else "played basketball & learned school"

Edit to add - Ingomar (150 kids in grades 9-12) regularly played and competed well with Tupelo at Tupelo (1300-1400 kids in grades 9-12) back in the early 80's.
At ingomar they teach kids how to play basketball before they teach them how to read

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login