Not a good look for "The Mayor" and JT

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"Fowl Play"... they really thought they were clever with that one.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yet you can bait deer with corn. It’s stupid to hunt without a license and a duck stamp but if baiting is illegal for one animal it should be illegal for all of them.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yet you can bait deer with corn. It’s stupid to hunt without a license and a duck stamp but if baiting is illegal for one animal it should be illegal for all of them.
Not that our wildlife management is sensible (you'd think with a major avian flu issue we could cull some of those damn geese shitting everywhere), but your statement isn't sensible at all. Deer are a major safety issue and in many places they are overpopulated. It would make perfect sense to allow them to be baited but not to allow baiting of wildlife with less healthy numbers and/or more hunting pressure.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Baiting deer is not thinning the population other than by the spread of diseases by causing the deer to congregate in a concentrated area. I agree that the deer population needs thinning but baiting them isn’t going to accomplish this. I still know hunters who won’t shoot a doe. Growing up back in the 70’s and 80’s shooting a doe was a mortal sin and a lot of older hunters still think that way. If you want to improve the health and numbers of the deer herd we need a real enforced tagging system. X number of doe tags need to be filled before that hunter receives a Buck tag either in the current season or the following season. The club I used to hunt in tried this. We hired a biologist and in conjunction with MDWFP we set up quotas for each member. Most all wouldn’t shoot there quota of does, they where afraid that once a season buck was just out of sight waiting to step out. We always went into the last week of the season well below our doe kill quota. People just won’t voluntarily do right, they’re greedy.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Baiting deer is not thinning the population other than by the spread of diseases by causing the deer to congregate in a concentrated area. I agree that the deer population needs thinning but baiting them isn’t going to accomplish this. I still know hunters who won’t shoot a doe. Growing up back in the 70’s and 80’s shooting a doe was a mortal sin and a lot of older hunters still think that way. If you want to improve the health and numbers of the deer herd we need a real enforced tagging system. X number of doe tags need to be filled before that hunter receives a Buck tag either in the current season or the following season. The club I used to hunt in tried this. We hired a biologist and in conjunction with MDWFP we set up quotas for each member. Most all wouldn’t shoot there quota of does, they where afraid that once a season buck was just out of sight waiting to step out. We always went into the last week of the season well below our doe kill quota. People just won’t voluntarily do right, they’re greedy.
I am not interested in hunting does. Does that make me greedy?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I am not interested in hunting does. Does that make me greedy?
No but it makes you part of the overpopulation problem. I’ve pretty much quit hunting so I’m right there with you. The greedy bastards were the ones who agreed to get a biologist involved and then wouldn’t follow his recommendations. But if we would kill a lot of does we would see some positive things. The overall health of the herd would improve. The quality of bucks would improve and the frequency of buck sightings would improve. The buck to doe ratio in this state is severely out of whack.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
No but it makes you part of the overpopulation problem. I’ve pretty much quit hunting so I’m right there with you. The greedy bastards were the ones who agreed to get a biologist involved and then wouldn’t follow his recommendations. But if we would kill a lot of does we would see some positive things. The overall health of the herd would improve. The quality of bucks would improve and the frequency of buck sightings would improve. The buck to doe ratio in this state is severely out of whack.
I get that we are overpopulated with doe. I've pretty much given up hunting....I only go every once in a while anymore....but I suspect a lot of hunters are like me....if they're investing time to hunt and go through the hassle of field dressing and dragging something out of the woods, it's not going to be effort wasted on a doe.

But I still do my part. I kill a doe with my truck pretty much every other year.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Holy moly! I know nothing about duck hunting, but know enough when hunting birds (be it duck, dove or whatever), you'd better follow the rules. Now when it comes to deer hunting, you can pretty much do what you want.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I get that we are overpopulated with doe. I've pretty much given up hunting....I only go every once in a while anymore....but I suspect a lot of hunters are like me....if they're investing time to hunt and go through the hassle of field dressing and dragging something out of the woods, it's not going to be effort wasted on a doe.

But I still do my part. I kill a doe with my truck pretty much every other year.
Let’s talk about something important. When the Baseball Season Preview SPS The Magazine coming out? This place needs a magazine in the worst way…………….Or an enema. I can’t tell!

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I'd say the same thing if this was reported on an Ole Miss player too. Just a stupid thing to report.
The journalist is in a tight situation. He reports it and people say it's stupid to report, or it's not newsworthy, or it hurts the program (which is not the concern of someone like Theo who works for a newspaper). On the other hand, if he has the information and sits on it and then it's made public later through other outlets, then he's accused of trying to sweep things under the rug or not having a good journalistic instinct.

Personally, I hate that it reflects poorly on a couple of guys that I hold in high regard, but I have no problem with their public records being reported on. They made a mistake, either knowingly or unknowingly, and they will pay the fines and move on. For most of us on this board, we aren't noteworthy enough names to merit news coverage, but the name Jake Mangum is always going to make news around the state of Mississippi. Pros and cons of being a public figure.

Reactions: Conman90

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Please tell me they weren't shooting divers on catfish ponds.
Probably not. There’s a creek bottom in Clay County, I can’t pronounce it’s Indian name much less spell it. There are a lot of duck sloughs along it. I’ve hunted the area several times over the years.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
When it comes to waterfowl you have to follow the federal regulations and you don't mess with those federal agents. I know this first hand because my worst interactions with game wardens have been over duck hunting. Unless they are on a federal refuge they usually have a state warden with them.

I've had a federal agent try and issue me a ticket for my duck stamp not being signed even though it stuck to back of my license.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I wonder if deer meat can match the Beef Tenderloin I had last night. Willin' to try. Only had it 4 times in my life, 2 times it tasted like ribeye and the other 2 times tasted like schit.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
If we can get another Mangum and Ginn, well he didn't really do much but I'd take him, I promise to bait my land and let them shoot as many of those irritating whistling ducks as they want in my pond. They'd get 18 in about a minute. Is that a possible NIL deal?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If memory serves me correctly, originally we had doe day when it was legal to bust a nanny. It might have been a weekend rather than a single day. Later, landowners and clubs could apply for doe tags based on the acreage owned or leased and the deer population in your region.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't believe baiting is hunting; however some places, it is a part of hunting big game. I have zero tolerance for migratory birds. Hunting deer is not like it was when I was younger. I wish I could still hunt deer, duck, and turkey like I used to.

Water Dawg

Aug 22, 2012
Why are they in the eastern part of the state .... all the good clubs are in the delta and would love to host the mayor. Minus the "ole miss alumni only" clubs

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
Why are they in the eastern part of the state .... all the good clubs are in the delta and would love to host the mayor. Minus the "ole miss alumni only" clubs
The place they were hunting from what I've gathered was along Tibee. Owners of the place had shot several 8-10 man limits of mallards in there this year. Hole they were hunting had ducks all season.

there are quite a few duck holes along Tibee and in that area that would be comparable to some of the decent hunting in the delta. We get a lot of gadwall and teal.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Una is on the Chuquatoonchee Creek, lot of good duck holes along that Creek bottom. At least for this part of the state. I had to look up how to spell that, I can barely pronounce it.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
The place they were hunting from what I've gathered was along Tibee. Owners of the place had shot several 8-10 man limits of mallards in there this year. Hole they were hunting had ducks all season.

there are quite a few duck holes along Tibee and in that area that would be comparable to some of the decent hunting in the delta. We get a lot of gadwall and teal.
Sounds like the owners may have been the ones baiting....still, though, you can't get caught hunting over it.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
When it comes to waterfowl you have to follow the federal regulations and you don't mess with those federal agents. I know this first hand because my worst interactions with game wardens have been over duck hunting. Unless they are on a federal refuge they usually have a state warden with them.

I've had a federal agent try and issue me a ticket for my duck stamp not being signed even though it stuck to back of my license.
Feds gave my brother and his buddies all tickets one day at Delta National for duck hunting with lead. They were out in the boat, dude was going around the parking lot at the boat ramp looking in vehicles and truck beds, and saw they had a 5 gallon bucket of spent shells in the truck bed and some were lead. They'd been skeet shooting in a field earlier that week and had picked up all their shells afterward and just hadn't dumped the bucket. He waited in the parking lot for them to come out of the water. They offered to let him search their jackets/bags/boat/etc. to prove they had no lead shot on them and that they weren't hunting with it, but he said he had all the evidence he needed by seeing spent shells in the truck bed and he fined all of them for it. Feds don't play when it comes to hunting ducks.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The journalist is in a tight situation. He reports it and people say it's stupid to report, or it's not newsworthy, or it hurts the program (which is not the concern of someone like Theo who works for a newspaper). On the other hand, if he has the information and sits on it and then it's made public later through other outlets, then he's accused of trying to sweep things under the rug or not having a good journalistic instinct.

Personally, I hate that it reflects poorly on a couple of guys that I hold in high regard, but I have no problem with their public records being reported on. They made a mistake, either knowingly or unknowingly, and they will pay the fines and move on. For most of us on this board, we aren't noteworthy enough names to merit news coverage, but the name Jake Mangum is always going to make news around the state of Mississippi. Pros and cons of being a public figure.
You think “he had the info” or sought it out?

either way I don’t really care that Jake mangum and jt ginn for fined.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Feds gave my brother and his buddies all tickets one day at Delta National for duck hunting with lead. They were out in the boat, dude was going around the parking lot at the boat ramp looking in vehicles and truck beds, and saw they had a 5 gallon bucket of spent shells in the truck bed and some were lead. They'd been skeet shooting in a field earlier that week and had picked up all their shells afterward and just hadn't dumped the bucket. He waited in the parking lot for them to come out of the water. They offered to let him search their jackets/bags/boat/etc. to prove they had no lead shot on them and that they weren't hunting with it, but he said he had all the evidence he needed by seeing spent shells in the truck bed and he fined all of them for it. Feds don't play when it comes to hunting ducks.
That’s just a guy being an ******* to your brother and his group.

What happened with mangum and Ginn was just dumb on their part. Especially not having a stamp. Just buy one. The money is well spent anyway.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
You think “he had the info” or sought it out?
I can't imagine how he would have sought that info out. I doubt he spent his day at the courthouse reviewing records to see if any State athletes were on the docket. Seems more likely that someone told him about it and once he "had the info" he followed up on it. I might be missing something obvious but this seems like info that would have to fall in your lap, not something you would uncover through initiative and investigation.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Man that is a real hard *ss and those guys didn't play around back in the day.

I had a similar situation during a draw hunt at Noxubee. My dumb *ss went to a pheasant shoot the day before and left a half case of #6 lead shot in the bed of my truck. Long story short he asked a bunch of questions and searched our gear. Heck we even had our black cloud hulls from the duck hunt in our blind bag and the pheasants on ice in the back seat. He let us go with a formal warning and said not to let it happen again. He was very professional and respectful with our gear. I wish all my interactions with federal agents went that way.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login