Not a great list to be on..

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
But give Jimbo credit for the consistency. $100 million guaranteed for this guy... Woof.

Special hat tip to Kiffin who deserves to make the list twice considering he was #7 the week before Halloween and somehow finished unranked this year.

FmGOuZQakAIFbDE.jpeg

ETA. Which of these guys above would you prefer to have over Arnett going forward? A lot of good recruiters on there, but they 17 up all that talent by being ****** coaches.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But give Jimbo credit for the consistency. $100 million guaranteed for this guy... Woof.

Special hat tip to Kiffin who deserves to make the list twice considering he was #7 the week before Halloween and somehow finished unranked this year.

View attachment 296040

ETA. Which of these guys above would you prefer to have over Arnett going forward? A lot of good recruiters on there, but they 17 up all that talent by being ****** coaches.
I’m optimistic on arnett but I think Brian Kelly and James Franklin would be no brainers if we were somehow picking between them and a first time head coach, no matter how promising.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I’m optimistic on arnett but I think Brian Kelly and James Franklin would be no brainers if we were somehow picking between them and a first time head coach, no matter how promising.

I think those 2 and potentially Campbell. Campbell has **** the bed lately record wise, but he's been very competitive at times and even won the conference with #50 ish recruiting classes at ISU. If you gave him #25ish Mississippi State type talent, I think he could do well. His teams also play filthy defense which I think is a winning formula at Mississippi State.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think those 2 and potentially Campbell. Campbell has **** the bed lately record wise, but he's been very competitive at times and even won the conference with #50 ish recruiting classes at ISU. If you gave him #25ish Mississippi State type talent, I think he could do well. His teams also play filthy defense which I think is a winning formula at Mississippi State.
Well, really I'm not sure any of those coaches are **** coaches with the exception of Jimbo. Mack Brown is old, and I used to think he terribly underachieved at Texas, but now it looks like Texas is not as easy to win at as you'd think it would be. Malzahn is a good coach. Not great, but good. Kiffin is a good coach. We'll see if he can manage a program long term, which will determine whether he's a really good head coach or just a good playcaller but it looks promising based on his last two stops. Cristobal's record at Oregon looks good and it's kind of ridiculous to be on this list b/c of 2020. Dave Aranda has a pretty short tenure as head coach and I'm not sure what to take from 2020, a good year, then a ****** year. Venebles is too soon to say anything assuming lots of players went with Riley. And as you said, Campbell has had success at a pretty hard place to win.

Looks like this list is a list of coaches that are successful enough to get hired at places that are consistently overrated in the polls b/c of the name on the jersey (ND, USC, PSU, FSU, A&M, OU) and a few examples of somebody being successful enough that the hype outruns the program and it's a credit to them that they even got their program in the pre-season top 10 to begin with (Brown and Campbell), one example of a combination of those factors (Malzahn). Not sure how to classify aranda and Cristobal.

Reactions: drumrcraig

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

View attachment 296040

Almost all of them? Not Jimbo or Mack, maybe on Venables or Malzahn.
Put the opposite way, which of these coaches schools would want to trade their coach for Arnett? Maaaaybe UNC because Mack is old and Texas A&M solely because of his albatross of a contract.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think Venables gets a bit of a pass for this season. OU was top 10 based on a lifetime achievement award.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
LMAO at Kiffin belonging on there twice. And ESPN has tsun ranked pre-season '23 at 20th, higher than Texas Tech. And STATE and SCe only getting "consideration".

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Kelly. No else close. He needed motivating again. 10 years at ND has to get old…. Especially when all of college football hates you. ND can’t recruit like they use to any more. Their marquee days are over.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login