Not downhill at all at the Dude.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Yesterday, one of you put forth that all was ‘gloom at doom’ at Bulldog baseball.
I was very encouraged by what I saw last night. Loftin is a pitcher. Jordan did better at laying off the curve and seemed comfortable at DH. Mershon is gonna help things out. He’s a fighter and scraper. He beat out a perfect bunt to move runners and load the bases. His glove is sound. Chance is small, but he gets on base. He fields his position well.
Even The Captain drilled two doubles. Hines and the infield did a perfect run down of a picked off runner. We did better. We are not lost in the woods.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
True. It was Valpo and not Alabama or Tennessee. It was a mid-week game.
The guys handled their business and ‘ten-run ruled’ their opponent. They played better baseball. Sound defense (we had two wild pitches, still) where it was needed. We hit their curve balls and sliders, better, and smashed the slower velocity fastballs. We saw younger players step up and play. We saw clutch hitting when we needed it. All these things are needed to build confidence for the rest of the season. Don’t pop-poo success. A couple of weeks ago, I walked out of the Louisiana-Monroe game, down thirteen to nothing. Better effort, tonight.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
That’s is true that Valpo does not suck. They had guys that have played good baseball. Their defense was sound and they earned those two runs. Like us their pitching is questionable in spots. Loftin is a freshman, but he’s a big ole kid with a 93-5 speed fastball and his 77mph change up make him a bad man.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Great win last night. Don't try to convert the Lemonis doomsday crowd. Some of them would rather he fail so they can say, "I called it a year ago"! I have never understood fans that want our programs to fail just to claim they think they knew something the rest of us didn't. Makes me wonder if they root against their kids so they can give them a. hard time when they get home.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
There is no doubt this team has the ability to put together a good game and look like a good team. What bothers me is that at least once a week (sometimes twice) we seem to just lay an absolute turd. Hard to explain, maybe that is youth but hopefully we can clean that up.

Reactions: thekimmer

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yesterday, one of you put forth that all was ‘gloom at doom’ at Bulldog baseball.
I was very encouraged by what I saw last night. Loftin is a pitcher. Jordan did better at laying off the curve and seemed comfortable at DH. Mershon is gonna help things out. He’s a fighter and scraper. He beat out a perfect bunt to move runners and load the bases. His glove is sound. Chance is small, but he gets on base. He fields his position well.
Even The Captain drilled two doubles. Hines and the infield did a perfect run down of a picked off runner. We did better. We are not lost in the woods.
Holy 5hit, are we spiking the football over beating Valpo in a midweek game? I guess that erases all the clusterfricks we've seen up to now and gets us turned in the right direction. We want LSU!

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It was Valpo. 16-32 overall 5-15 last place in the powerful MO Valley conference last year. So yea they do suck.
They came to Vegas at 6-3 and yet to play a home game. They lost 2 of 3 at a neutral site VS Kansas, Swept @ UT Martin, took 2 of 3 @ AR Little Rock. They are much better so far this year compared to last.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Great win last night. Don't try to convert the Lemonis doomsday crowd. Some of them would rather he fail so they can say, "I called it a year ago"! I have never understood fans that want our programs to fail just to claim they think they knew something the rest of us didn't. Makes me wonder if they root against their kids so they can give them a. hard time when they get home.
Truer words may have never been spoken about this fanbase. For those of us who want to see our baseball team improve and succeed, last night was a step in the right direction. Yes it was Valpo, yes it was a midweek game we're supposed to win, and we did. The boys handled their business like they were supposed to, which hasn't happened a lot since 2021. SEC weekends are fast approaching, but all you can do is take one game at a time. The last two games have been much more promising than the first 10.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't think anyone is saying that our problems have been fixed and everything is OK after we won last night, but some of you are ridiculous with your gloom and doom. We had some good pitching and good hitting for one game?. I think that's all anyone is trying to say. We know that you believe we are doomed for ineptitude and a God awful season. You made that clear... you don't have to keep repeating it.
south park beat a dead horse GIF

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think anyone is saying that our problems have been fixed and everything is OK after we won last night, but some of you are ridiculous with your gloom and doom. We had some good pitching and good hitting for one game?. I think that's all anyone is trying to say. We know that you believe we are doomed for ineptitude and a God awful season. You made that clear... you don't have to keep repeating it.
I think it's going to be a very inconsistent season all year long. We'll have some games we look pretty good in and some we look terrible in. Just hoping we wind up with 12-13 SEC wins and not 8-9.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think it's going to be a very inconsistent season all year long. We'll have some games we look pretty good in and some we look terrible in. Just hoping we wind up with 12-13 SEC wins and not 8-9.
I know it looks got awful and I agree we have some huge holes to fill. I just don't think we should crap on ourselves every time we play whether we win or lose.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think that is what most of us on here hope for except the "Lemon Headers". They want him to fail so they can beat their chest and say, "See, I told y'all". That's ok, we know who they are and how they will respond after each loss. I'm really encouraged with Mershon getting into the line up at 3rd. The hitting is coming around with even Forsythe batting near .300! If we can find a weekend rotation that throws strikes things will improve quickly.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think that is what most of us on here hope for except the "Lemon Headers". They want him to fail so they can beat their chest and say, "See, I told y'all". That's ok, we know who they are and how they will respond after each loss. I'm really encouraged with Mershon getting into the line up at 3rd. The hitting is coming around with even Forsythe batting near .300! If we can find a weekend rotation that throws strikes things will improve quickly.
There are a few bright spots. But overall, Lemonis has been a huge disappointment the last 70 or so games. He needs to get it figured out, cause where we are right now is not acceptable.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It's the other way around. A well-pitched, well-played game from us has been the exception, not the norm. So when the sunshiners rush here after a good game to go after the folks who haven't been satisfied with the season to date, they make themselves look like idiots. I'll hold my blind praise for when we start consistently beating teams with pulses, or at the very least, demonstrate that we are seeing any consistent improvement week over week from our pitching staff.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's the other way around. A well-pitched, well-played game from us has been the exception, not the norm. So when the sunshiners rush here after a good game to go after the folks who haven't been satisfied with the season to date, they make themselves look like idiots. I'll hold my blind praise for when we start consistently beating teams with pulses, or at the very least, demonstrate that we are seeing any consistent improvement week over week from our pitching staff.
Yea, to me, it's the "well-played" game that is the biggest concern for me. If we were fielding well and hitting well, and had bright spots with young pitchers, I could accept that we just dug too big of a hole at pitcher and it's going to take another year to dig out. But I'm really concerned that our fielding seems to have regressed and older pitchers are not really showing much improvement.

If our young players continue to improve, we cut out the errors, Cade comes back and is at least a little better than last year, and Pico does too, then I feel ok about the direction we're headed. Still may want a new pitching coach, but that doesn't seem like an unsalvageable situation. Of course if we do that, at the end of the season we're probably a 2 seed and people are talking about how much to weigh our more recent, better performance against the SEC v our early season stumbles.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
They way we have looked so far, we might end up taking at least one game from every one of our SEC opponents this year.
But the way we have looked so far, we'll lose two to every one of our SEC opponents this year.
And the chances of getting swept are much much greater than us sweeping any SEC team.
Hopefully, we get lucky and get our **** together and win just enough to get into a regional.
Hard to be optimistic at this point.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login