Not really liking the trend in names mentioned

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Seems like we are preparing to make a safe, stabilizing type hire. Not saying it will be, but it appears to be. And that would be the MSU thing to do.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
To tag on to what Drebin said, I feel like the latest names this week (Doeren, Odom, Gus, etc) are all coming from their camps, not from within MSU circles.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Seems like we are preparing to make a safe, stabilizing type hire. Not saying it will be, but it appears to be. And that would be the MSU thing to do.
The trend in names mentioned probably has much more to do with fans and media throwing things against the wall than it does with the university's actual search.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they already had reached an agreement with the new coach and are now throwing dirt around to keep it quiet until his season his over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldawg56

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Are you suggesting a "safe, stabilizing" hire can't produce the on-field results we want/need? Not saying your speculation is or isn't accurate, but I don't see those things as being mutually exclusive.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Are you suggesting a "safe, stabilizing" hire can't produce the on-field results we want/need? Not saying your speculation is or isn't accurate, but I don't see those things as being mutually exclusive.
That's close to what I am saying. I believe we need an outside of the box hire to push us to a higher floor, not the same floor with shots every 6 years.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, but Selmon isn't a Mississippi State guy. Maybe he wants to be here forever, but I get the impression he's gone the second a blue blood comes calling. No blue blood is going to hire Selmon if the goes small ball and whiffs on his first football hire. Big, splashy hires are defensible- Leach was defensible, even Moorhead had wowed the media into thinking he was an offensive genius. The Barry Odom/Rich Rod type hires are not. Hiring Barry Odom isn't going to impress anyone, unless he outperforms his current track record. Dave Doeren isn't going to impress anyone.

Let's face it. Selmon will try to be gone before the new head coach reaches the end of his current contract. He has to get it right. Otherwise he's stuck here until he get's it right.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

TulsaLawDawg

Aug 24, 2012
I mean, this board has acted like it’s such an “MSU thing” to make bleh CFB HC hires. In the post croom world, we hired:
- Mullen
- JoMo (was considered a great hire at the time)
- Leach (I mean, c’mon. It was awesome and a huge splash in CFB world)
- Arnett (only viable option and most people supported it)

I think a lackluster head coach hire would be off brand.

Zarbok

Dec 2, 2022
I mean, this board has acted like it’s such an “MSU thing” to make bleh CFB HC hires. In the post croom world, we hired:
- Mullen
- JoMo (was considered a great hire at the time)
- Leach (I mean, c’mon. It was awesome and a huge splash in CFB world)
- Arnett (only viable option and most people supported it)

I think a lackluster head coach hire would be off brand.
This was my exact train of thought too. I was like, what head coach had been boring and safe lol

Reactions: TulsaLawDawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
My hope is that we got our guy and our guy was a modern day coach and not a run it 65% of the time guy. My fear is the later. A coach that believes we have to run it to open up the passing game where we only throw it 20 times per game.

Fritz has had his face to face, and that means he is on the short list. Ad he is a very run heavy guy.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
My hope is that we got our guy and our guy was a modern day coach and not a run it 65% of the time guy. My fear is the later. A coach that believes we have to run it to open up the passing game where we only throw it 20 times per game.

Fritz has had his face to face, and that means he is on the short list. Ad he is a very run heavy guy.
How do you know Fritz has had a face to face?
And maybe the short list is 8 people?
10? 20? 2?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My advice to you is to remember Selmon's words (paraphrased): "If you're not hearing it from me, it's not real."
Selmon definitely seems to be taking the Greg Byrne approach to hiring a coach

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I'd say it's a struggle trying to find someone to say yes
Seems like we are preparing to make a safe, stabilizing type hire. Not saying it will be, but it appears to be. And that would be the MSU thing to do

JoeFuller

Oct 2, 2023
You still standing on that take that Arnett was getting three years "no matter what"?
No. Arnett got fired. I didn't think we would fire him. But they proved me wrong. Any more stupid *** questions from you?

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Tinfoil hat time. The flashy names are out of reach. They’re floating these under whelming hire names so when the safe hire is made we don’t have a total meltdown.
Who's the safe hire? Fritz? He's old and having a good couple of years with a good QB. Might provide some stability but can he turn it around quickly. Sumrall? Possibly a good hire but defense is his background. We can get defensive plays in our state but the offense seems to be a priority. Odom, no please no! Our SEC school can't pull a coach from Liberty we might as well accept we are on the chopping block in the next alignment if this hire doesn't pan out. Not saying Chadwell is the end all be all but most anyone will be a disappointment minus a few. Lebby may generate some excitement. Why can't we get the flashy name that excels??

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Tinfoil hat time. The flashy names are out of reach. They’re floating these under whelming hire names so when the safe hire is made we don’t have a total meltdown.
I agree there is a tier above where the flashy names are. doesn’t mean we can’t get a good coach but a Klieman or Leipold isn’t going to be on the list.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login