Not trying to start a debate of any sort, but when we were in the process

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
of looking for Henderson's replacement, some on the board indicated we were strongly considering Schlossnagle from TCU. I also read that Lemonis wasn't even in our top 3 at the time. If this is the case, who else were we considering? And were these tidbits of information just mere speculation or were they supposed common knowledge?

I'd like to hear theories if anyone has any.

Thanks

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Schloss had the job. There were rumors of him running his mouth about it before it was finalized and it rubbed Cohen the wrong way. Rumors of his wife making him back out. Regardless, there was some pretty hard evidence out there that he was offered and accepted and something happened. This was after McDonnel turned it down and suggested Lemonis. Not sure who else was spoken to

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
My understanding is that while the team playing in the Regional in Tallahassee, Cohen flew Schlossnagle in to visit campus. It was extremely close to being a done deal and then it fell apart that weekend. I remember the news broke that Schloss was out as we were about to beat Oklahoma in the Sunday night game.

There were STRONG indications for weeks that Schloss was the guy and then it just didn’t happen. I think we targeted McDonnell at that point and he declined but pointed us in the direction of his best friend Chris Lemonis.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
McDonnell was #1. He said he wasn’t leaving Louisville so we moved on to Schloss. When that fell apart we went BACK to McDonnell to try again, and that’s when he pushed us towards Lemonis. McDonnell was our #1.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We passed on Schloss for good reason. Anyone wanting to fire the coach that won a Natty last year is a damn idiot too.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
No problem with us targeting McDonnell, Schloss, Tadlock, etc first, but I’m glad we ended up with Lemonis. He is a great fit and could coach here 10+ years with multiple titles.

The results speak for themselves, but he also has been able to retain a top notch assistant staff. Very hard to do in college baseball. He also appears to be a good recruiter, top 10 class coming in next year, and the class after that is also ranked top 10 with 19 HS commits. Still early obviously, we’ll see how many of those make it to campus.

The rebuild may be this year and next, but we could have another peak season 2024 or 2025. Doesn’t mean we can’t make a run to Omaha before that though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree. I never thought this team was going to be anything more than a #2 seed, and when we lost Sims I figured we’d struggle to make a regional. So I’m not much surprised where we are now. He gets a pass this year. But we do need to see some signs of improvement the 2nd half of this year & next year. And I think we will.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Lemonis is fine. He won a Natty, something other really good college baseball coaches haven't done (see prior State coaches, Van Horn and others). He's earned a few more years and I think he'll turn it around. I have an SEC rich family so family reunions include trash talking and, because I no longer live in Starkville, none of my close friends are State fans (they don't dislike State, though, and came over with beer to cheer on the Dawgs against Vandy last summer). Before we won a Natty, friends and family didn't think State was an elite baseball program. It was a good program with great fan support but elite meant to them a National Championship and not conference and regional banners. (We're there now.) There are likely a number of great baseball coaches who consider other schools as better options despite our helluva fanbase. They can pay as much, if not more, and it's not like Starkville is more appealing than other SEC cities for their wives and families. I like the place, wife and I may retire there, but the "what to do in Starkville on weekends" website likely doesn't entice a lot of non-elderly people with disposable income to visit. How many young, highly skilled athletes list Starkville as their top destination choice? Our baseball program has a lot to offer but so do other SEC programs. Adding Texas and Oklahoma is gonna make it more challenging.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Corbin was a pipe dream. Why would he ever leave a job where he has a recruiting advantage over pretty much every school in the country?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If he was actually number 1 that’s a total waste of time. No way he would have left Vanderbilt.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He obviously wouldn’t. But you make the call. All he can say is not interested. Its not a huge deal.

TNDawg35

Aug 27, 2016
Ok, so the story goes like this. McDonnell was #1A, Schloss was 1B. McDonnell had promised his wife he wouldn’t move yet so he turned it down. Schloss was contacted and had already made it known he wanted the job. A deal was set in place and Schloss was flown in when we were in the Regional. Everything was good to go and Schloss would be announced after we’re eliminated no matter how far we got. Cohen told Schloss up front that he would not announce him out of respect to Henderson and what he was doing. Well Schloss started calling some recruits thy was already committed to TCU and was starting to get the word out and Cohen caught wind. Cohen told him to chill and wait and Schloss got pissed cause he was trying to recruit and get started and he felt Cohen was putting him behind. Then it came out that Schloss had a skeleton in the closet and after having to fire Cann for pretty much the same thing Cohen made the decision he couldn’t hire him. Everything was canceled. That’s when Schloss came out and said he wasn’t leaving. Cohen then went to McDonnell again and pretty much begged. McDonnell sat with his wife and she wouldn’t budge. That’s when Cohen was told to look at Lemonis by McDonnell. It went quick then. Lemonis was one of the main ones who built Louisville and McDonnell told Cohen he is your guy.

Corbin was never really a “serious” candidate. He wasn’t leaving Vandy and told Cohen that. It was kind of a mutual agreement to get Corbin a raise a couple promises from the administration.

Baseball is a very close community among the coaches. That is why there is hardly ever a kid flipping or coaches going after other recruits unless he leaves for another school. Then it’s all open. When Vitello went to TN from Ark he started contacting Ark commits and trying to flip them to TN. Dave Van Horn come unglued and that’s what their fight was about last year.

Lemonis is elite and will be here. I think our hitting coach needs to go tho. I have never really been a big fan. If he is so good, why hasn’t any school came after him as a head coach. Hell Tulane was open a few years ago and he didn’t get a call. Lemonis will right the ship.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Interesting stat I found out about Schlossnagle and McDonnell...

Combined, both of those head coaches have fewer National Championships than Chris Lemonis.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Interesting stat I found out about Schlossnagle and McDonnell...

Combined, both of those head coaches have fewer National Championships than Chris Lemonis.

Exactly… some of the ladies here will never get past the fact that Lemonis didn’t “win the press conference”. He wasn’t a big name in the college baseball community.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login