Now that Foxhall is gone, do we bring in an interim pitching coach?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Still 3 weeks left in the season with a chance to make it to Hoover. To let a guy go during the season like that has to be because you believe you are better without him than with him but I don't think Lemonis or either assistant has ever coached pitching or called pitches. Do we try to bring in someone to fill the gap or just make the best of it?

Maybe Jay Powell or (gulp) Ron Polk?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I doubt it. Either Lemonis will take over the pitching coach duties or one of the volunteer assistants will step up into that role or whatever role needs filled.

Reactions: Dawgg

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
We've reached 17 it stage. The energy is rightfully focused on the next head coach.
Maybe so and I do think the real reason Foxhall was whacked now was Lem taking some preemptive action before a decision has to be made on his future but if we just bag it and go further in the tank the rest of the way then that could backfire on him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't see how you can. Lemonis will probably coach pitchers.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
In my opinion, you wouldn’t want someone coming in and potentially making changes to mechanics or anything like that without having a chance to actually evaluate the player first. So with that in mind, I’m not sure an interim makes sense. But I also don’t think it made a ton of sense to fire him with 3 weeks left to go.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
From when I've listened, Jay has been pretty frustrated with the pitch calling when he does the radio broadcast. Mainly about pitch selection and the amount of breaking pitches we throw in a row. I wonder if we just have someone calling different pitches if it makes a difference or if our pitchers just really struggle this badly with command.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Foxhall called all of the pitches in the games. not sure who will fill that void. i'm with bruce. just tell them to throw strikes and try to salvage some semblance of pride these last three series

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
I’d be novel and let the catchers-pitchers handle pitches. What have you got to lose, and the catchers know how to read batters and look at charts to keep them off balance. Keep them on their same routines, let catchers call pitches, and Lemonis handle bullpen and mound visits. At this point it’s not hard to finish off a losing season. Just manage the pen enough we aren’t throwing position players out of need. End the season. Clean house. Start over and build a program.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
From when I've listened, Jay has been pretty frustrated with the pitch calling when he does the radio broadcast. Mainly about pitch selection and the amount of breaking pitches we throw in a row. I wonder if we just have someone calling different pitches if it makes a difference or if our pitchers just really struggle this badly with command.
We throw WAY too many breaking balls. It’s sickening.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I’d be novel and let the catchers-pitchers handle pitches. What have you got to lose, and the catchers know how to read batters and look at charts to keep them off balance. Keep them on their same routines, let catchers call pitches, and Lemonis handle bullpen and mound visits. At this point it’s not hard to finish off a losing season. Just manage the pen enough we aren’t throwing position players out of need. End the season. Clean house. Start over and build a program.
It damn sure wouldn’t be worse

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The pitcher/catcher should ALWAYS call pitches. It should be outlawed to call pitches from the dugout. Pitchers and catchers should be like Shoeless Joe and tell a coach to "stick it" when they call pitches. Your job as a coach it to teach your players how to play. I wouldn't have players who don't have conviction about their ability to play and execute. You should believe you know better than the coach what works for you in a single instance. The coach guides you to help you understand your strengths then let's you perform.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
The pitcher/catcher should ALWAYS call pitches. It should be outlawed to call pitches from the dugout. Pitchers and catchers should be like Shoeless Joe and tell a coach to "stick it" when they call pitches. Your job as a coach it to teach your players how to play. I wouldn't have players who don't have conviction about their ability to play and execute. You should believe you know better than the coach what works for you in a single instance. The coach guides you to help you understand your strengths then let's you perform.
Amen!
That is how we coach our 11u team - I found they get more engaged with the mental side of game looking for advantages instead of being robotic

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Hancock might not be able to throw anybody out, but I bet he can call a game. Ross can probably do the same

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login