Now that we’ve seen Wright - agree or disagree with how he’s been used?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If Will was 100% healthy, do you still feel Wright should be used more? Should he still get a full series or two each game? Should he be full time starter?

These two guys are nearly as opposite as it gets. Will is classic pocket passer, looks best when he can stand back there and survey the field. Wright is a running QB… nothing I’ve seen yet would classify him a dual threat. If you’re going to use both, then you’ve got to develop two completely different offenses for each. I’m not sure that’s the best thing for the other players - trying to switch from one style to the other.

I’m not a fan of playing two QBs, so not sure I’d want to give Wright an entire drive each game based on what we’ve seen. I’m good with handful of plays each game - basically what we’ve done but maybe use him a little more. Obviously a moot point if Will doesn’t come back soon…

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Will is a "classic" drop back passer in the AR system or with an OL that can give him ALL the time he needs against SEC front sevens. Neither is the case with us right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They used a limited play book for him. They will make the book bigger this week. If he starts after this week, they will make the book even bigger. Auburn and KY are not good football teams. KY is average and Auburn is below average. Their QB's and WR's are not good. Our defense is made for their offenses. I like our chances. Limit the turnovers and State wins.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Agree with the game plan and the play calling by the OC for Wright against Arkansas. Especially considering how well the defense was playing. Disagree with how he’s been used all year. Bring him in more on 1st downs, and on goal line and short yard situations. If the offense gets 4 or 5 yards on first down, then continue to keep him in the game more than that initial one play.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The run first offense puts a lot of pressure on the QB on 3rd down if we aren't gaining 3 or 4 yards a play. Our OL cannot move SEC defenses back on 3rd and short. They have also struggled on 3rd trying to pick up blitzing defenders.

Will and Mike have made 1st downs running on 3rd and 3 to 8 yards. The offensive game plan against USCe was the best we've had this season because we passed on 1st down more which made their defense have to cover WRs instead of run defense. We were less predictable in that game.

Either QB can be successful if we mix up the play calling. Mike had a nice run for a TD that was called back. It looked like our receivers were getting open during the Arky game so I think Will would have been successful too. I just wonder if all the WRs on this team will want to transfer out if we quit passing the ball.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There are ways to use him where he can be effective. I don’t think we are using Wright effectively.
I don’t think we’ve been using either of our QBs effectively. We bring Wright in to run on 2nd and long repeatedly, and we ask Will to run QB draw plays. I have no idea what kind of offense we want to run. Play calls just seem random with no purpose.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
There are ways to use him where he can be effective. I don’t think we are using Wright effectively.
And using one ineffectively results in the other being used ineffectively as well. Driving a team all the way down the field, only to be pulled for a single play inside the red zone has to be extremely distracting for Will.

Bottom line, nothing’s changed for me. You don’t take a scholarship transfer out of the portal to take 2-3 snaps each game, and the way this coaching staff has utilized Wright has been a disservice to both QBs

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
He’s probably being used properly, but what’s up with that noodle arm? The first down catch Robinson made at the end of the third quarter should have went for six. He had to come back and beat the DB to bail Wright out on that awful throw. He had the DB burnt.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Lane Kiffin sayz, "hold my beer."
I See Pittsburgh GIF by Mike Hitt

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
If Will was 100% healthy, do you still feel Wright should be used more? Should he still get a full series or two each game? Should he be full time starter?

These two guys are nearly as opposite as it gets. Will is classic pocket passer, looks best when he can stand back there and survey the field. Wright is a running QB… nothing I’ve seen yet would classify him a dual threat. If you’re going to use both, then you’ve got to develop two completely different offenses for each. I’m not sure that’s the best thing for the other players - trying to switch from one style to the other.

I’m not a fan of playing two QBs, so not sure I’d want to give Wright an entire drive each game based on what we’ve seen. I’m good with handful of plays each game - basically what we’ve done but maybe use him a little more. Obviously a moot point if Will doesn’t come back soon…
Use him anyway you want. Wright has the same limitations (nevermind his personal limitations as a QB) that Rodgers has: (1) OL (2) WR's and (3) RB's. The fact that the coaches resuscutate Marks every other series and roll-him back out on the field pretty much says it all about what they think of the other backs. I guess because play calling/schemes and personnel changes are something that can be altered in-season, people tend to think that's the answer when its really just fools gold. That's said, Arnett does have these kids playing. They haven't given up. Can't say that about Pittman.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I get it - I think he’s a worse passer than Relf.

But, he’s a real burner. He’s SEC fast. We should be getting him sweeps and screens like Tulu. Can he not catch? We ran a play earlier this year with him and Rogers in the backfield. Where is that? We should be using him like the Saints use Taysom Hill.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t think we’ve been using either of our QBs effectively. We bring Wright in to run on 2nd and long repeatedly, and we ask Will to run QB draw plays. I have no idea what kind of offense we want to run. Play calls just seem random with no purpose.
That seems too nice. I get that if you don't have talent, it's hard to call plays. But I just don't think our talent is that bad.

I'm not sure, but I think we tried to implement an offense that doesn't fit the strengths of either of our QBs, and we confused the **** out of our OL in the process. I think we'd be ok running an air raid based offense with Will. Still would get shut down by good defenses, but we don't play nearly as many of those this year as usual. I think we'd be ok with Wright running an offense geared around a running QB with just enough deep passes to keep the defense honest. Could be the power spread or something like Malzahn runs. But we don't have either of those things and it's hard to fix mid season. We already spent our offense doing a poor job of installing an offense that doesn't suit us.

So now we are trying to just call plays that we think our guys can run, and they are just completely disjointed and have no relation to each other.

Reactions: patdog

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Will has his limitations for sure but looking at how the offense ran on Sat with Wright I think we are a better offense with Will on the field.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

The Will Rogers cult will disagree but I'm not sure we would have been better offensively with Rogers on Saturday. Mike made some plays with his feet, and we're having almost a completely different conversation about him if that 65 yard TD run doesn't get called back. Arkansas has a really great defensive end that was neutralized primarily due to Wright being a running threat. He would've feasted with Rogers back there.

I think our offensive futility had as much to do with the coaching staff as anything. It was clear that Arnett was playing not to lose with his defense playing well and having a lead. We went super, super conservative with the play calling.

By the way, that's not a justification. I really hate that crap. Arnett has no balls and it's why I'm all for moving on from him, no matter how we end the season. This isn't the first time he's meddled in the offense to almost disastrous results.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm not sure, but I think we tried to implement an offense that doesn't fit the strengths of either of our QBs, and we confused the **** out of our OL in the process.
I agree - that's the way it looked in the early games for sure.

At this point if the coaches know Will is out for the next 3 SEC games, it's time to scrap plays suited for him and focus the offense around running 2/3rd of the time.. We haven't used them but we've got a stable full of good looking RBs. I love Marks but he's been beat up so much over his career that he can't give us 20 touches a game. We've got to figure out who our #2 RB is and get him more involved - whether that's Davis, Pittman, Price, Lee.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I thought he was being used fine even before Will’s injury. Played a lot more snaps against WMU. Ultimately he’s too limited with what he can do as far as throwing beyond 5-10 yards down the field, and you can’t just give a guy like that series after series unless you have to.

When Will is healthy, I’d really like for us to go with some tempo packages with both Rogers and Wright on the field at the same time, and have Wright learn some plays at WR. That way we can keep defense off-balance personnel wise and keep them from subbing to go after one or the other. That’s the only change I might make.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login