NY Mets hire Mississippi State and Seinfeld alum Buck Showalter

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
How old is he now? He was on an episode of Seinfeld managing the Yankees so he's been in the show at least 30 years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm glad a MSU guy is getting the job, but I really don't understand this hire. In 20 years, he's barely above .500, only made the playoffs 5 times, and no World Series appearances.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I'm glad a MSU guy is getting the job, but I really don't understand this hire. In 20 years, he's barely above .500, only made the playoffs 5 times, and no World Series appearances.

And all of that is probably a good bit above average for MLB managers as a whole. Plus, I believe he was named AL manager of the year 3 times.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They could certainly do a lot worse. But .506 says he’s pretty much the definition of average. I hope he finishes 2nd to the Braves & loses to them in the NLCS.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
And all of that is probably a good bit above average for MLB managers as a whole. Plus, I believe he was named AL manager of the year 3 times.

They could certainly do a lot worse. But .506 says he’s pretty much the definition of average. I hope he finishes 2nd to the Braves & loses to them in the NLCS.

I think you would have to take into account who he was managing for a lot of those years. His time in Baltimore wasn't terrible. He had a .500 or better record in 5 of the 9 years he was there and won the A.L. East in 2014. The Yankees and Red Sox won that division 6 of the 9 years he was in Baltimore. His final season in Baltimore sucked with 115 losses but they have lost over 100 games 2 out of the last 3 years since he left.

Just for a comparison, Dusty Baker has a .534 career winning percentage, Jim Leyland has a .506 winning percentage. Bruce Bochy had a .497 winning percentage and Joe Torre had a .538 winning percentage.

Baker had the luxury of having Bonds at his prime. Torre had the luxury of the Yankees pocketbook. Not saying they weren't good managers but it helps when you have those type players and the ability to get pretty much any free agent you want/need at your disposal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login