O.T. PSA. Especially for us Older Guys. Take Heed and Stay Healthy. Heart Attack Prevention.

Apr 16, 2006
Get a healthy heart screening that includes checking blood flow to extremities and calcium scoring. Too many dudes fear medical care, or knowing the truth or something.
I recently did a cardiac calcium score due to family history and getting on in age a bit. It took maybe 15 minutes total for the scan, including wait time. I got a good result and some peace of mind, so I definitely recommend this.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yup. Stay healthy fellow Dawgs. Let's have many more years of complaining on this site and telling the youngin's to get off our lawn. Get regular checkups, eat healthy and cheat only once in a while and enjoy many more years of life. Guys typically don't like going to the doctor. Get over that and take care of yourself. Ignore most of the news too and those crazy conspiracy theories on the left and right. That's unhealthy mentally. You matter to others. Don't think you don't.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Don’t let a good calcium score fool you into a false sense of security.
Only one way to determine if you have blockage and what the percentages are and that’s with a Arteriogram.
Unfortunately most insurance companies won’t pay for it unless you have some serious extenuating circumstances.
And even when they do pay for it, it’s not cheap for those insured.
It can give you peace of mind to some degree but for how long is the question after that.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
One other thing about your heart. Get a sleep study done. I had one at 20 and it saved my life. If you need a CPAP get one and wear it.

Living with untreated sleep apnea is to your heart like driving your car with the pedal to the metal every time you start and slamming the breaks last second every time you stop. Everything wears out way too fast.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've lost 30 LBs since end of October. BP is great, Cholesterol is great, sugar is great, pecker looks larger.
little people big world make GIF

• Haha

MaroonOldCrow

Aug 22, 2012
One other thing about your heart. Get a sleep study done. I had one at 20 and it saved my life. If you need a CPAP get one and wear it.

Living with untreated sleep apnea is to your heart like driving your car with the pedal to the metal every time you start and slamming the breaks last second every time you stop. Everything wears out way too fast.
This. My cardiologist attributed my heart attack to my severe sleep apnea.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
How does one know if they have sleep apnea? Anyway to self diagnose?
More often than not, the main symptoms are snoring, waking up during the night a lot (esp if you feel short of breath), and daytime tiredness when you feel like you slept ok. Another thing is having to get up and pee a lot.

Obviously all of these can be due to something other than sleep apnea, which is why they have to do the sleep study. And buddy, lemme go ahead and tell you, the sleep study sucks. And if you have to get a cpap they'll probably have to do two of them. But it might save your life, and in the meantime you'll sleep much better. Your regular doctor can get you set up on the sleep study.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
More often than not, the main symptoms are snoring, waking up during the night a lot (esp if you feel short of breath), and daytime tiredness when you feel like you slept ok. Another thing is having to get up and pee a lot.

Obviously all of these can be due to something other than sleep apnea, which is why they have to do the sleep study. And buddy, lemme go ahead and tell you, the sleep study sucks. And if you have to get a cpap they'll probably have to do two of them. But it might save your life, and in the meantime you'll sleep much better. Your regular doctor can get you set up on the sleep study.
Thanks. I fit all those symptoms. Never considered it could be sleep apnea.

MaroonOldCrow

Aug 22, 2012

Exactly this. I was falling asleep in meetings, at my desk, and even behind the wheel. I was having to get up to pee 4-5 times a night; felt like I was sleep walking at a kegger. Since getting on the CPAP (actually an APAP in my case) I sleep with no problems, have no problems staying awake during the day, have way more energy, and feel orders of magnitude better. Get the sleep study, don't have a heart attack at 43 like I did.

Jul 26, 2021
I found out I had it when I got married. My wife couldn’t sleep due to my snoring, and she got scared because I would quit breathing multiple times a night waking up each time. I had no idea.

Turns out I had a severe case, and I considered myself relatively young at the time. My MD said I probably added 10 years to my life.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login