O.T. Question for any of you older guys who may have taken a bad fall / spill

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It's raining today in Fort Worth and I live in an upstairs 4-plex apartment these days and I'm only 5'6" 145 lbs age 59. So I exit my door and right before my first step down my feet totally slip out from underneath me and my body bounces 4 times on the way down with my back taking 100% of the blunt of it. I laid there for a minute in the rain convinced I'd broken something then after that minute when the initial pain and shock of what had just happened I was able to lift myself up with the help of my hands and arms. For the next 5 minutes or so my right arm tingled all the way down to my fingers that was kinda also like a burning type feeling especially at my finger tips. I've checked out my back in the mirror and there's about a 7 inch red scar / streak (no blood or anything) looking thing where I took the blows. I'm not really hurting right now but when I touch the injured area it hurts like hell and of course there's no more tingling or burning in my arm and finger areas. I guess I'm lucky I'm a small guy as I would think a bigger dude would have been much worse off. I'm sure I'm gonna be aching like a Biatch tomorrow but since I'm doing okay at the moment all things considered, I shouldn't worry too much. Right? Any advice from those who have experienced this stuff later in life or those who are more knowledgeable than me in the medical field?

Last edited:

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
It's raining today in Fort Worth and I live in an upstairs 4-plex apartment these days and I'm only 5'6" 145 lbs age 59. So I exit my door and right before my first step down my feet totally slip out from underneath me and my body bounces 4 times on the way down with my back taking 100% of the blunt of it. I laid there for a minute in the rain convinced I'd broken something then after that minute when the initial pain and shock of what had just happened I was able to lift myself up with the help of my hands and arms. For the next 5 minutes or so my right arm tingled all the way down to my fingers that was kinda also like a burning type feeling especially at my finger tips. I've checked out my back in the mirror and there's about a 7 inch red scar / streak (no blood or anything) looking thing where I took the blows. I'm not really hurting right now but when I touch the injured area it hurts like hell and of course there's no more tingling or burning in my arm and finger areas. I guess I'm lucky I'm a small guy as I would think a bigger dude would have been much worse off. I'm sure I'm gonna be aching like a Biatch tomorrow but since I'm doing okay at the moment all things considered, I shouldn't worry too much. Right? Any advice from those who have experienced this stuff later in life or those who are more knowledgeable than me in the medical field?
Sounds like you may have gotten a stinger. Neck/spinal injuries can cause the tingling in the hands/arms. May want to get checked out for that, usually an MRI.
Good luck. And you are correct, it's going to hurt more tomorrow.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Mark Ruffalo

Sep 29, 2022
Get it looked at and just as importantly documented. My wife slipped in a stairwell at work 15 years ago when she was less than half your age and didn't want to make a big scene about it as she was embarrassed. It hurt for a few weeks and was then fine for a couple of years. Eventually it caused long term back issues, she spent years in pain, and we probably came out of pocket $10k in PT and surgery costs over the years. She still can't feel half of her right foot.

It seems like everyone who's ever herniated a disk knows the moment they did it, but it often takes weeks, months, or years for it to progress into debilitating nerve pain. At 60, you could be looking at early retirement or disability if that happens and you will want it documented for insurance/social security etc.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If you have any possible injuries to your spine, cranium, or it feels like you are hurting below the skin get it checked at an urgent care. Good places can get you set up quick if you need it. I went in with a possible appendicitis attack and they had me diagnosed, admitted, and surgery scheduled in a hour or so. I drove to the hospital and was taken straight to my room for a morning surgery.

Let the super know. Buy different shoes. '

Be careful I had some very bad falls in the past few months I would have laughed at when I was younger and stronger I don't have to tell you they are nothing to sneeze at when we get older and less likely to walk it off.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had a similar fall almost 10 years ago. I have two bulging disc as a result. I was at work when this happened. They took me to medical and they put ice and bio-freeze on me and sent me back to work. I PTO’d and went home. Next day drove myself to ER because I could barely move. X rays didn’t show anything but my doc set up a CT scan a few days later and that’s when they discovered my bulging disc. Get checked out by your doctor.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I would go get scans. Preventive goes a long way in your health. If you fall again and have a slight issue, it could be devistating.

That's my own opinion

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
If you hit your head at ALL, probably best to go get it checked. Skull fractures sometimes don't hurt or show any other symptoms until the next day, when the pressure in your skull builds to the point you just drop dead.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
You had a stinger. Probably no real immediate damage or you wouldn’t have gotten up so easy. Any black and blue is probably going to be bruising.

but what you did do is probably shake up the disks and vertebrae a lil. Find you a good chiropractor quick and stick with it for a while.

when I had a wreck back in my teens, I thought I was ok till about a year later.. I had gotten to the point I couldn’t sit up straight and had immense pains.

chiropractor found what it was on the X-ray and worked it out after a while.

point of the story is.. you may think you are ok.. till you for sure are not.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
If you hit your head at ALL, probably best to go get it checked. Skull fractures sometimes don't hurt or show any other symptoms until the next day, when the pressure in your skull builds to the point you just drop dead.
Thanks man, I'm almost 100% certain my head took no blows. I guess another lucky thing about it; coulda been much worse and I've already thanked The Lord for that several times today.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thank y'all all for the advice and personal experiences and I will indeed heed them as I've got an early Nov appointment with my PCP, Too bad nobody was filming or I coulda made some bucks with America's Funniest Home Videos, LOL.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
If you have any possible injuries to your spine, cranium, or it feels like you are hurting below the skin get it checked at an urgent care. Good places can get you set up quick if you need it. I went in with a possible appendicitis attack and they had me diagnosed, admitted, and surgery scheduled in a hour or so. I drove to the hospital and was taken straight to my room for a morning surgery.

Let the super know. Buy different shoes. '

Be careful I had some very bad falls in the past few months I would have laughed at when I was younger and stronger I don't have to tell you they are nothing to sneeze at when we get older and less likely to walk it off.
You got that right Maroon. The only time I've ever lived above the Mason Dixon was my 11 months in '86 in Greenwich Village and had a basement apt and had a much worse stair case slip and fall than today caused by the sleet and rain on my shoes as I bounced down on my back but the next day I was okay. I was 23 then but I'm sure tomorrow will be different for me than it was back then.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Because I'm a total idiot...back in April I fell getting out of an ice skating rink. Yes, my dubmass had no business on a 17ing ice skating rink. My kid was invited to a skating party and I skated a lot at the Mall of Memphis back in the 80s as a child. I didn't do too bad. I skated for about 30 mins without falling. All was well. And then I decided to get out of the rink. I stepped over the lip where the wall opening was onto what I thought was rubber. It was actually hard plastic flooring. I felt my feet go 6 feet in the air. I landed flush on my back with my lower back landing on the raised lip of the rink. Mutha17er it hurt. I laid there for about 5 seconds listening to the gasps. I crawled over to the stands and sat there for about 5 mins trying to regain my composure. My eyes were welling up. I was about to cry. If there wasn't a half dozen milfs around me, I would have. I down 2 BC powders while everyone else was blowing out candles. Made it home and laid in bed for 2 days. I had a baseball size lump on my low back right at the belt line. Luckily it didn't immobilize me. After about 2 weeks the edema went away and I was fine. Needless to say, ice skating is on my never-do-again list. BC powder was the only thing that would knock the edge off. Ice made it hurt. Heat made it hurt.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Tomorrow will be "hurt like Hell" day. Then likely days and days before you begin to think you aren't dieing. Sorry.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
It's raining today in Fort Worth and I live in an upstairs 4-plex apartment these days and I'm only 5'6" 145 lbs age 59. So I exit my door and right before my first step down my feet totally slip out from underneath me and my body bounces 4 times on the way down with my back taking 100% of the blunt of it. I laid there for a minute in the rain convinced I'd broken something then after that minute when the initial pain and shock of what had just happened I was able to lift myself up with the help of my hands and arms. For the next 5 minutes or so my right arm tingled all the way down to my fingers that was kinda also like a burning type feeling especially at my finger tips. I've checked out my back in the mirror and there's about a 7 inch red scar / streak (no blood or anything) looking thing where I took the blows. I'm not really hurting right now but when I touch the injured area it hurts like hell and of course there's no more tingling or burning in my arm and finger areas. I guess I'm lucky I'm a small guy as I would think a bigger dude would have been much worse off. I'm sure I'm gonna be aching like a Biatch tomorrow but since I'm doing okay at the moment all things considered, I shouldn't worry too much. Right? Any advice from those who have experienced this stuff later in life or those who are more knowledgeable than me in the medical field
Rub some Dale’s on it. Should be good as new.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thankfully today's one of my drankin' days. I had to endure Saturday night's game sober. After 20 years of everyday drinking, I've become a one day on, two days off kinda guy. I'm thinking tomorrow may be a two days on kinda day. Hell, I may consider a 3 or 4 days in a row after today's shat.

was21

May 29, 2007
Thankfully today's one of my drankin' days. I had to endure Saturday night's game sober. After 20 years of everyday drinking, I've become a one day on, two days off kinda guy. I'm thinking tomorrow may be a two days on kinda day. Hell, I may consider a 3 or 4 days in a row after today's shat.
Go to a doctor. If you're ok then go home and get drunk. If you're not ok then have it taken care of.

Oct 17, 2022
you Gotta be tough to get old

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If it's loose and supposed to be tight use duct tape and if it's tight and should be loose use WD40. All joking aside go to the doctor.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Thank y'all all for the advice and personal experiences and I will indeed heed them as I've got an early Nov appointment with my PCP, Too bad nobody was filming or I coulda made some bucks with America's Funniest Home Videos, LOL.

Get multiple opinions if anyone suggests surgery. Some docs are conservative but some are cutters.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Go get a thorough checkup.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I'd at least be a little cautious about the neuropathy in the fingers. Probably a good idea to get checked out. I'm a tad bit younger than you (but not by much) and I took a spill a couple of weeks ago and I'm still feeling it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login