Observation from H’burg.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Living in H’burg and knowing 2 or 3 of usm’s biggest baseball supporters, i have a somewhat surprising observation.

Rewind a month or so to usm’s game with olemiss in H’burg. You would have thought Jesus was coming back and landing at Pete Taylor Park and the only people that he was taking back had tickets to the olemiss usm game that night. Keep in mind, olemiss was sucking *** at the time, so it wasn’t olemiss people begging for tickets. It was amazing the importance that they put on a game with a down in the dumps at the time olemiss team.

Yesterday, watching the lsu/usm game, a lot of lsu fans and many empty stadium seats.

Listening to the “eagle hour” (their local radio show) leading up to the regional selection show and the only thing the host kept coming back to was “i bet we don’t get the cupcake regional that MSU got last year”. Over and over.

It’s an ugly look usm people. Get your heads out of your *** and worry more about winning a regional than what olemiss and State are doing.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
You mean the regional that was for a national seed? Yeah, I bet you don’t either you jackass. I also bet if you make it out that you don’t play anyone close to the team that Notre Dame was last year. Pussies.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
I went to the USM game in 2015. I have not spent much time south of Starkville and know only a few people who went to Southern (but aren't fans). Everyone was nice and we had a good time but it was funny seeing "17 state" and "17 OM" shirts everywhere.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Listening to the “eagle hour” (their local radio show) leading up to the regional selection show and the only thing the host kept coming back to was “i bet we don’t get the cupcake regional that MSU got last year”. Over and over.

It’s an ugly look usm people. Get your heads out of your *** and worry more about winning a regional than what olemiss and State are doing.

I tell my USM friends that it wasn't that it was a cupcake regional. MSU simply got the wrong 2-seed. VCU was 32nd in RPI and should have gone to a regional with a higher national seed. We probably should have gotten UConn.

I also tell them that we won three 2 out of 3 series against the #3, #4, and #5 RPI teams in the Super Regional and College World Series-- tough matchups all around.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I tell my USM friends that it wasn't that it was a cupcake regional. MSU simply got the wrong 2-seed. VCU was 32nd in RPI and should have gone to a regional with a higher national seed. We probably should have gotten UConn.

I also tell them that we won three 2 out of 3 series against the #3, #4, and #5 RPI teams in the Super Regional and College World Series-- tough matchups all around.

We did get a fairly easy Regional draw but we got a brutal draw in the Supers. Notre Dame was an Omaha caliber team that got hosed out of a Top 8 seed. Had they beaten us they very feasibly could have won the championship instead of us.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
When I think of "easy regionals" I immediately default to LSU. When they were rolling they were openly given a free pass to Omaha every year with creampuff regionals. It was ridiculous.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Irish should have been that 8-seed in place of Texas Tech. Of course that likely would have also meant a possible repeat super regional matchup for us against Stanford.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
When I think of "easy regionals" I immediately default to LSU. When they were rolling they were openly given a free pass to Omaha every year with creampuff regionals. It was ridiculous.

Like others, my thing has always been that you should expect one of the easier draws if you’re a Top 8 seed. The 16 seed is going to get a tougher draw than the 1 seed, they just are,

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
If anything, the success of their program should open some eyes and give our recruiters a nudge. They have had a good program for years, but the team they fielded this season ran us off the field.

This needs to me a wake up call for us. We have the best stadium in the nation, we won a 2021 National Championship, but we have to keep doing the things that make us great.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Man, just throw this year in the trash and forget about it. State is an elite program. These kinds of years just happen. What I will say is that Scott Berry is an excellent talent evaluator and that USM does a great job developing players. But I expect State to be back sooner rather than later.

This is gonna sound like a kiss-*** comment but I don’t care because I mean it. State and LSU raised the bar for college baseball. Nationally, of course, but what I’m talking about is regionally. Without those two programs raising college baseball’s profile, I don’t think Southern Miss (and many other schools too) would have the baseball program that we have.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I agree and disagree with this take. The fans that you know must be older. Because generally speaking, the USM baseball fan base is a pretty high IQ bunch (I can’t necessarily say the same thing about football). We broke an attendance record against Ole Miss but we’ve also broken it recently against La Tech, Rice, and I believe UAB. But if we wanna be brutally honest, what’s wrong with measuring expectations against the two in-state SEC programs? State is the gold standard. What a tradition of excellence. I’m envious of you, though still damn proud of our program.

With that said, the only thing on my mind today is beating those corn dog smelling, nutria eating, fake HBP bitches from the swamp. Go to Hell, LSU.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Man, just throw this year in the trash and forget about it. State is an elite program. These kinds of years just happen. What I will say is that Scott Berry is an excellent talent evaluator and that USM does a great job developing players. But I expect State to be back sooner rather than later.

This is gonna sound like a kiss-*** comment but I don’t care because I mean it. State and LSU raised the bar for college baseball. Nationally, of course, but what I’m talking about is regionally. Without those two programs raising college baseball’s profile, I don’t think Southern Miss (and many other schools too) would have the baseball program that we have.

Yeah I agree. Baseball in Mississippi (in general) would not be what it is today without the history of MSU baseball, but sometimes we need a thump in the neck to get us off our high horse. We need to realize that other schools are right on our doorstep. We can't afford another year like this one.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I agree and disagree with this take. The fans that you know must be older. Because generally speaking, the USM baseball fan base is a pretty high IQ bunch (I can’t necessarily say the same thing about football). We broke an attendance record against Ole Miss but we’ve also broken it recently against La Tech, Rice, and I believe UAB. But if we wanna be brutally honest, what’s wrong with measuring expectations against the two in-state SEC programs? State is the gold standard. What a tradition of excellence. I’m envious of you, though still damn proud of our program.

With that said, the only thing on my mind today is beating those corn dog smelling, nutria eating, fake HBP bitches from the swamp. Go to Hell, LSU.
I, for one, would love to see a USM/Ole Miss Hattiesburg regional. I generally root against USM in football due to the splitting of in-state talent, but I don't really care in baseball, as there's plenty to go around and we all do a ton of out-of-state recruiting.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Well, if they survive today they will get a MUCH easier Super Regional than we had last year. Last year's ND team would beat the crap out of this year's OM or Arizona teams.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I will say this about USM, I absolutely would not want to face that starting rotation in a Super Regional. Their number three guy would be a quality number one guy for a lot of teams, some that are in the NCAA Tournament.

If USM gets through today I think they are really dangerous the next couple of weeks. Especially if their bats heat up at all.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I was really cheering for Southern last night and will be again today. I have good friends that graduated from Southern Miss and they are all good folks for the most part. One of my best friends was a big MSU fan and went with me for my old trip to Oxford for the Egg Bowl. That's another story

I really want to see you guys beat LSU. I think I can speak for many MSU fans when I say I despise those people.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I will say this about USM, I absolutely would not want to face that starting rotation in a Super Regional. Their number three guy would be a quality number one guy for a lot of teams, some that are in the NCAA Tournament.

If USM gets through today I think they are really dangerous the next couple of weeks. Especially if their bats heat up at all.

I totally agree. These dudes can pitch it, and they can hit when they want. I don't know if they will win today, but if they make it to a super in Hattiesburg, no way Ole Miss beats them.

Plus, out of a staff that was top 3 in the nation, they found two more relievers that stepped up this weekend and performed better than expected. They have power in that lineup and serious power from 2 guys. Bats have been pretty good. I think they have the potential to be very dangerous and a team with nothing to lose and a lot of confidence.

Last edited:

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I totally agree. These dudes can pitch it, and they can hit when they want. I don't know if they will win today, but if they make it to a super in Hattiesburg, no way Ole Miss beats them.

Plus, out of a staff that was top 3 in the nation, they found two more relievers that stepped up this weekend and performed better than expected. They have power in that lineup and serious power from 2 guys. Bats have been pretty good. I think they have the potential to be very dangerous and a team with nothing to lose and a lot of confidence.

Yes they can pitch it even though their bullpen imploded in the 9th in the first LSU game. I wonder if Tanner Hall will pitch today's game on short rest?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Tanner Hall getting the start...

[FONT="]vs. All Y’all#EverythingMatters | #SMTTT https://t.co/kXGbxtw40O pic.twitter.com/5VRefEPVAm— Southern Miss Baseball (@SouthernMissBSB) June 6, 2022 [/FONT]

I thought MSU had the monopoly on Tanners. **

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
1-0 Southern Miss

Paetow with the leadoff HR

[FONT="]Paetow got one up in that breeze and sends it over the RF wall into the Roost and just like that it's 1-0 Southern Miss.— Rick Cleveland (@rick_cleveland) June 6, 2022 [/FONT]

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
It takes a special group of people to make me pull for LSU in a baseball game, but by God, they did it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login