Odd stat.....

TilloDawg

May 26, 2006
from Murray's basketball notes:

Jamont & Charles are tied in career rebounds going into tomorrow night's game.

Aug 30, 2006
it is quite pathetic & depressing. Charles is a 6'8" senior who has played under the basket his whole career. Jamont is a 6'4" JR who has played guard his whole career. While Jamont is a good rebounding guard, it is pathetic that Charles would be tied with him with an additional year of PT and playing under the basket his whole career.

It makes me long for what could have been if Charles had put forth effort that is equal to his talent.

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
While it is sad Charles does not truly have an additional year. He only played 16 games as a freshman and those were very limited. Jamont played from the get-go.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
..I'd be willing to bet (figure of speech) that Chuck's numbers are about average for a guy playing his position in his 4th year. And that Jamont's are not.

I understand what you're saying, but let's not throw Rhodes completely under the bus.

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
consdiering Rhodes played a grand total of 104 minutes as a freshman.

He and Gordon have started together for three years now. The rebounding stat says more about Gordon being a terror under the boards for a guard than it does about Rhodes.

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
I agree. But if you are going to fault Rhodes then the way to do it is about his effort last year, not the entire career. Was out rebounded 7.3 - 6.1 last year. This year it is 7.3-6.3 in Rhodes favor.

NawDawg

Aug 9, 2007
Did any of you catch the commentator's remark about Rhodes's shotblocking ability? They had just finished gloating over how effective Varnado is on the defensive end of the floor (and rightfully so). About that time Rhodes got fouled and was standing at the stripe and they mentioned that Rhodes was quite the shot blocker as well, "he has just over a 100 blocks in his career"... Varnado is approaching 120 on the season isn't he?? I just can't imagine what his career totals will be

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
Rhodes has played 2460 minutes in his career. Gordon has played 2994 minutes.

Let's compare their rebounds per minute... Better yet, let's compare their rebounds per 40 minutes of playing time...

Rhodes: 10.0 rebounds per 40 minutes
Gordon: 8.2 rebounds per 40 minutes

While Gordon's numbers are undoubtedly abnormal for a guard, Rhodes' numbers aren't so pathetic anymore.

Aug 30, 2006
and it does definitely make Rhodes look better than I thought. Those numbers are very good.

That said, I can remember watching quite a few games where Charles had 5 rebounds or less and then games where he would go off & have 13, 14, or 15. Maybe I should have phrased it that I feel we could have been more successful if he were consistent. There have definitely been portions of seasons past where Rhodes did not seem to be putting forth the kind of efforts that he is capable of.

However, as I said, his average numbers have essentially proven me wrong, so I will now cease and desist.

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
One thing to note is that Charles seems to be alot more consistent this year than in years past. Maybe he has had a fire lit under him, I don't know. But you are right about him seeming inconsistent in years past.

I haven't done any statistical analysis, all of this is just my opinion on what seems to have happened.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
2004/2005: He played very little due to off the court issues and being a freshman. When he was on the court he showed flashes.

2005/2006: Started out slowly but when SEC play hit he became a beast. He had a very good sophomore season.

2006/2007: Extremely disapointing junior year. He was up and down all year long. He would have a 20 point 10 rebound night and follow it up with a ****** effort. When he put out effort he produced results, he just didn't do that every time out, or even most nights.

2007/2008: Again, started out slowly, but has been a beast the last 10 games or so. He had a great game against Arkansas, I think it has to be considered among the best he's ever had. He has been so much more consistent this year with effort, and he deserves credit for that. He has been crucial in our run this year without question.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login