Odds of firing

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Our coach at the end of the year ? Consider we just hired a whole new staff and a new coach eill have his own people. Might keep a couple guys but he will definitely wanna retool every aspect of it. And I say it needs it but I am saying the chances are about 20% regardless of the 4 and 8 final record. I think adding Peterson and Barbay and Friend and Schmidt makes it too difficult. We go thru at least 3 miserable years before we get it rolling again, if then

Jan 13, 2008
Our coach at the end of the year ? Consider we just hired a whole new staff and a new coach eill have his own people. Might keep a couple guys but he will definitely wanna retool every aspect of it. And I say it needs it but I am saying the chances are about 20% regardless of the 4 and 8 final record. I think adding Peterson and Barbay and Friend and Schmidt makes it too difficult. We go thru at least 3 miserable years before we get it rolling again, if then
If the scenario is we finish 4-8 and Ole Miss finishes 9-3 or 10-2 (and we lose by 30+ in the Egg Bowl) our own beat writers will be calling for a change. And they are sunshine pumpers to the max.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If the scenario is we finish 4-8 and Ole Miss finishes 9-3 or 10-2 (and we lose by 30+ in the Egg Bowl) our own beat writers will be calling for a change. And they are sunshine pumpers to the max.
I feel sure that scenario is what will happen. And honestly they are already saying he is on the hot seat. I just think when they let those other coaches go and brought in this hand picked staff they showed they were committed to this. I think the powers that be think this is the preferred path. I think it was a huge mistake but we will see.

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
Unfortunately I think he’ll get another year regardless. But he’ll have to sacrifice his staff to get that.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Depends on the record and the egg bowl. Most are ready for a change now. I think you lose next game, you lose the fans completely. An empty stadium and losses get a change. Only team we're favored against the rest of the year is USM.
I think it's 50/50 right now because it's only half way through the season. Every game moves the needle one way or the other.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I feel sure that scenario is what will happen. And honestly they are already saying he is on the hot seat. I just think when they let those other coaches go and brought in this hand picked staff they showed they were committed to this. I think the powers that be think this is the preferred path. I think it was a huge mistake but we will see.
I didn't have a huge problem with letting the old offensive coaches go. But the way we hired this offensive staff was bizarre. Nobody hires the position coaches before they hire the coordinator. In fact, now that I think about it, maybe we should lay off Barbay a little bit. He had no input in hiring his coaching staff.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
He better get to 5 wins. Which means his a$$ better have 5 before the egg or it will come down to the egg.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I didn't have a huge problem with letting the old offensive coaches go. But the way we hired this offensive staff was bizarre. Nobody hires the position coaches before they hire the coordinator. In fact, now that I think about it, maybe we should lay off Barbay a little bit. He had no input in hiring his coaching staff.
I was initially hard on Barbay but you are probly spot on. He can only do so much with a suspect OL. Seems like the blocking scheme must be fairly complicated. And of course no defense.
He better get to 5 wins. Which means his a$$ better have 5 before the egg or it will come down to the egg.
He ain't winning the Egg Bowl period

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023

Agree, it is going to be a long tough road to dig out of this hole, and I think the magnitude of the disastrous decisions will only be appreciated then. people still don’t understand what went wrong.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
At 4 wins, I think he's gone..

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Is Keenum going to admit he hired the wrong guy after 1 year? Doubtful. He will give him another year in hopes that good recruiting and portal work improves the outlook. Of course, it probably won't and we will probably come out next negative with the portal despite there being loads of opportunity for talent to get on the field.

Reactions: patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He's gone with less than six wins unless that fifth is OM. He should be gone anyway but we'll MSU the **** out of this like everything else. The buddy system in our athletic dept might save him.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’m not pro-Arnett but If I’m Arnett I walk into Keenum/Selmons office and argue:

1. You know I can run a defense. This was about lack of talent and injuries

2. We lacked talent bc Leach only wanted to focus on offense and our staff was almost entirely foreign to our recruiting footprint

3. We were always going to move away from the air raid and it was always going to be brutal. No one runs what Leach did.

4. I need a qb and I can’t find one unless I run off a multi year starter as a rookie head coach. I’m ready to do that now.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

At WSU.. in 2022 was ranked 93rd on offense. 4 games into the season they were ranked 6th with 2 wins over 2 top 20 teams. It can be done!

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I’m not pro-Arnett but If I’m Arnett I walk into Keenum/Selmons office and argue:

1. You know I can run a defense. This was about lack of talent and injuries

2. We lacked talent bc Leach only wanted to focus on offense and our staff was almost entirely foreign to our recruiting footprint

3. We were always going to move away from the air raid and it was always going to be brutal. No one runs what Leach did.

4. I need a qb and I can’t find one unless I run off a multi year starter as a rookie head coach. I’m ready to do that now.
But can he run a defense ? Do you consider 60 something , 60 something and then 40 something last year as a good defense ? That needs to be 20 something if you are gonna make noise in the SEC. 2018 we were #2. That's impressive. 62 not so much. Just my opinion. And the offense is way ahead of the defense and it's totally different.

Reactions: Mjoelner

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Arnett’s defenses were average at best while he was DC at MSU. Leach’s dink and dunk passing game kept them off the field….

Reactions: Mjoelner

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But can he run a defense ? Do you consider 60 something , 60 something and then 40 something last year as a good defense ? That needs to be 20 something if you are gonna make noise in the SEC. 2018 we were #2. That's impressive. 62 not so much. Just my opinion. And the offense is way ahead of the defense and it's totally different.
2018 was loaded with talent. Maybe he can. Maybe he can’t. But if I’m him I say “we historically recruit in the bottom half of the league and we were 7th in scoring defense and 5th in yds/gams”

The defense definitely has major personnel issues.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Is Keenum going to admit he hired the wrong guy after 1 year? Doubtful. He will give him another year in hopes that good recruiting and portal work improves the outlook. Of course, it probably won't and we will probably come out next negative with the portal despite there being loads of opportunity for talent to get on the field.
That would be a weird standard and a sign of questionable leadership. Who doesn't ever make a bad hire? It's common. He doesn't even need to make a public confession. If this team doesn't improve, just change the team's leadership and let the AD handle things.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
2018 was loaded with talent. Maybe he can. Maybe he can’t. But if I’m him I say “we historically recruit in the bottom half of the league and we were 7th in scoring defense and 5th in yds/gams”

The defense definitely has major personnel issues.
7th and 5th ??? In the SEC ? I'm talking nationally.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think he's already been told he's done at season's end. Perhaps option to go back to DC or just go away. Done deal.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
7th and 5th ??? In the SEC ? I'm talking nationally.
Yeah. I just don’t know how relevant a national rank is. I think the sec rank is more relevant. National ranks have a lot of noise in them. And I’m not necessarily advocating for the gun but those are the arguments he could make and they aren’t flimsy.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah. I just don’t know how relevant a national rank is. I think the sec rank is more relevant. National ranks have a lot of noise in them. And I’m not necessarily advocating for the gun but those are the arguments he could make and they aren’t flimsy.
I prefer national rankings. We could be 7 in SEC and 60th nationally and the 5th SEC could be 30th. Doesn't look like much difference SEC wise but huge nationally. I mean I hear people say that here all the time. If your kid was being ranked smartest kid in Neshoba county or smartest kid in the USA which one is better ?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I prefer national rankings. We could be 7 in SEC and 60th nationally and the 5th SEC could be 30th. Doesn't look like much difference SEC wise but huge nationally. I mean I hear people say that here all the time. If your kid was being ranked smartest kid in Neshoba county or smartest kid in the USA which one is better ?
Well that’s not at all analogous. Most of our games are against the SEC which is the best conference in the country so I couldn’t care less is James Madison is ranked ahead of us nationally. It means nothing.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That would be a weird standard and a sign of questionable leadership. Who doesn't ever make a bad hire? It's common. He doesn't even need to make a public confession. If this team doesn't improve, just change the team's leadership and let the AD handle things.
In the perfect world you are right. Executives often to have egos and blame failures on other things rather than own up to them. I don't know if Keenum falls in to that bucket or not but I doubt he concludes his hire was a bust after 1 year and allows Selmon to move us in a different direction.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Well that’s not at all analogous. Most of our games are against the SEC which is the best conference in the country so I couldn’t care less is James Madison is ranked ahead of us nationally. It means nothing.
Well I don't care what you think. I find it much more telling as to our performance as I explained. Everybody is playing comparable competition

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Hope it’s greater than zero / I don’t have my hopes up though especially after the Lemonis debacle last year - when I was told by ring of honor player - he gone - then when it didn’t happen - he said it’s a crap show there

• Wow
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well I don't care what you think. I find it much more telling as to our performance as I explained. Everybody is playing comparable competition
“Well I don’t care what you think”

I laughed.

duly noted. I guess Hartfield Acadmey has a better defense than State then. Maybe not as good as 2022 Top 10 DEFENSES Troy, Marshall and Air Force though.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This gets said a lot at the midway point of most every season.

17 'em. They ain't 5hit either.
I got no faith in our team and I am usually an optimist. Hell I was thinking 9 wins before I saw the AZ game. Hurt my feelings...lol

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think he's already been told he's done at season's end. Perhaps option to go back to DC or just go away. Done deal.
Hmm msybe but I doubt it. I don't think anyone would be told they are fired half way unless they were losing to fcs and group of 5. He might have been told this is your season to prove you can do it snd win otherwise we will have to decide at end of season

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login