Odds on Jackson Arnold coming…

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Better chance of getting Dillon Gabriel. Which would be fine with me. Arnold is the Oklahoma quarterback of the future and they’re not going to risk losing him to the portal for Gabriel playing one more season.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Better chance of getting Dillon Gabriel. Which would be fine with me. Arnold is the Oklahoma quarterback of the future and they’re not going to risk losing him to the portal for Gabriel playing one more season.
Dang, Gabriel is sawed off.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Gavin Sawchuck might be a good addition though. He played quite well in RB position for OU.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Man, this would be huge. Any rumors yet?
Arnold’s fate is directly intertwined with Taylor Gabriel’s. Gabriel has a 6th year in Norman if he wants it. If he returns, Arnold is going somewhere else. May not be MSU, but it will be somewhere.

Another option is that Venables encourages Gabriel to enter the portal as a grad transfer, to keep Arnold in the fold and hand him the reigns. In that case you might see Gabriel want to follow Lebby.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Reactions: aTotal360

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
If we don’t get some decent O linemen in here, no QB will be successful. I hope our coach is aware of the deficiencies there.
We should bid the prices up on the top OL players to help deplete NIL funds at other schools. If we hit on a couple then good for us! Every time I think about wasted QBs at State I remember how good Kevin Fant was with a good OL and how he ran for his life without one and we lost games as a result.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
Didnt Gabriel follow Lebby to OU? If my memory serves me correctly then i feel like i remember him committing to Ole Miss then Lebby moved to OU and he followed.

Maybe just maybe the same thing will happen again.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Every time I think about wasted QBs at State I remember how good Kevin Fant was with a good OL and how he ran for his life without one and we lost games as a result.
This always amused me to hear people say this. It simply has to be a case of folks trying to force his recruiting ranking to match reality, which it just never did. Kevin Fant was never good. Like, at all. His career completion percentage was 53.2%, with a career AY/A average of 5.0. In more simple terms, he barely completed half his passes even though they only traveled 5 yards down the field on average. That’s atrocious QB play under just about any circumstances. Can’t just blame that on the OL.

Did he have some bad OL play? More often than not. But it wasn’t the worst I’ve seen at MSU. Was probably better than it was during many of the Croom years, during Mullen’s 2011 season, and Leach’s 2020 season. But even Relf and freshmen Will Rogers had better passing numbers than Fant. Hell, even Tyson Lee in 2008 under Croom had a higher passer rating than Fant’s career rating.

I think he had some measurables, and maybe could have been better if he had more refined coaching at both the HS and college levels, but I don’t think he ever got either one.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Kevin Fant had the talent. Unfortunately, he played on Jackie Sherrill's worst teams. When he had time to throw the ball he impressed. It was cringe worthy watching Fant trying to complete passes with a defender hanging on most of his career or worse being blindsided. He was one of the bright spots on 3 terrible teams that lead to Jackie's firing.
I don't grade a QB simply by statistics. Fant tried to do too much to win games which lead to the statistics you quoted. I went to every home game and watched him try to complete passes before getting his clock cleaned. He was a tough QB with a strong arm but played on some terrible teams. If he had played for a team with a good OL he would have been drafted.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login