Offensive Drought Monitor

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Updating something I posted a month ago. The Jeykl and Hyde offense points to better days ahead if we can become even a 3 quarter team vs a 1-2 quarter team. In more than half our games this season, the offense was just completely inept for long stretches. Last night, the ineptitude was pretty much isolated to the red zone.

Here's a look at what I mean in our five losses.

Memphis: No scoring from State from 5:07 of the 2nd quarter until 3:00 of the 4th quarter. Shutout for 32:07 of game time.

LSU: Only 3 points until the first touchdown at 0:26 of the 3rd quarter. 3 points in 44:34 of game time.

Alabama: 9 points the whole game. Only 3 in the second half.

Arkansas: 7 points in the first half. Turnover and missed field goal contributed after a terrible start of back to back 3 and outs. 2nd touchdown scored at 8:15 of Q3. So 7 points in the first 36:44 of game time.

Ole Miss: 6 points in the first half. 4 scoring opportunities and 4 fg attempts. No scoring from :55 of Q1 until 7:54 of Q4. Unlike the games we have pulled out, the scoring outside of the drought did not include enough TD's. The 2 FGs early need to be TD's and that disaster with the TD drops was horrible.

Now the ones we pulled out.

Louisiana Tech: From :34 in the 1st quarter to 12:01 in the 4th quarter, no points. That's 33+ minutes of game time.

NC State: After Tulu's kickoff return. The next 24 minutes of the first half consisted of 4 drives that totaled 48 yards with 3 of them being 3 and outs. Midway through the 2nd quarter they put a drive together.

Auburn: In the first 28 minutes of the Auburn game... 3 points.

So in 6 of our games this year, our offense spent more than half of it in a coma. In 2 others it was close to a full half. The other 15-30 minutes depending on the game (outside of Bama) were balls to the wall. That makes me think it's in there, but we're just not there yet.

I'm hopeful that this is what improves with the countless repetitiveness of the same stuff with Leach. It would sure seem on the hoof that after 2 full seasons and a 2nd full spring and August, next season will see those long stretches shrink. If it does, you are going to see a better record even with a tougher schedule. If it doesn't, it's going to be a rough year.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login