Officially Unofficial no divisions in 2025...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This time it's John Cohen (no relation to Brian) saying it...

[FONT="]John Cohen says the new SEC circa 2025 will not have Eastern and Western divisions, â??thank goodness.â?�He says Mississippi State would be a top-15 team were it in the SEC East this year.— Theo DeRosa (@Theo_DeRosa) August 29, 2022 [/FONT]

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm going to miss having the hardest schedule in the nation year after year. *************************************************************************************************

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I'm going to miss having the hardest schedule in the nation year after year. *************************************************************************************************

You do realize if the SEC office can figure out a way, we are the most likely to get SCREWED when it comes to scheduling.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Nothing screws us harder than being in the SECW. Except for dead engines.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You do realize if the SEC office can figure out a way, we are the most likely to get SCREWED when it comes to scheduling.

There’s no way for them to screw us in any way that makes sense financially for the league. And even if they could, it won’t be any worse than its been for the past 20 years in the SEC West.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
I believe our winning percentage is greater under the current divisions than prior to 1992. Doubt that we get any "better" with weaker opponents.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I believe our winning percentage is greater under the current divisions than prior to 1992. Doubt that we get any "better" with weaker opponents.

Us not winning more before 1992 is our own damn fault. It’s simply bad luck that we didn’t land a Jackie-caliber coach before the split. But even before then, we had Bama, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss as permanent opponents. Pretty sure we played at least 3 of those every single year. So we’ve pretty much been in the SEC West since before there even was one.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Doesn't every fanbase think this way though, whether valid or not?

Well everyone except Bama in the West is correct in this. Especially when you have to play the best team in the East year in and out. We picked up GA in 2020, that sucked. We usually have UF when they are good. I believe we obviously have played Vandy the least of times of every single SEC team, tehm or Mizzu.

Jujudawg

Mar 3, 2008
The Kang came in 1991. I think better coaching and recruiting has more to do with winning percentage during this time frame than divisions.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
We used to play Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss in consecutive weeks when the first 3 were really good and the last one beat us 7 out 10 every decade!

patdog

May 28, 2007
There is literally no way they could screw us any worse than we've been screwed for the last 20 years (same could be said for Arkansas, Mississippi, LSU and Auburn. Contrary to popular belief, the SEC has bigger priorities than screwing Mississippi State. We will definitely drop Alabama as a permanent opponent and most likely LSU too. And we'll get Vandy, Missouri and South Carolina more often. It will suck to play 9 conference games, but even with that the new format will be a net positive for us.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

No we aren't. We're going to have Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Texas A&M as our 3 opponents most likely, with Arkansas (instead of Kentucky) and Auburn (instead of A&M) also possible.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No we aren't. We're going to have Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Texas A&M as our 3 opponents most likely, with Arkansas (instead of Kentucky) and Auburn (instead of A&M) also possible.
THIS is the right answer. Everyone is freaking out, but any permutation of this will be a positive for us. And chances of anything else are next to nil.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Alabama isn't going to give up their oldest SEC rival. You folks can give up on ever escaping Bama. But I guess fantasy land is a nice diversion.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
In 2025 the SEC will have morphed into the 20 team super conference. How are 20 teams going to schedule?

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

huh? it's going to be a revolving door man. I forgot, you're one of those old school 90's thinkers who believes that Birmingham is always out to get Mississippi State.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Sounds like a personal problem to me. Maybe we should just learn how to sack up and win more often than we do.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Kiiind of my point.

What is your point? That we straight up sucked left hind tit at hiring both football coaches and athletic directors for the first 90 years that we played football? Okay then. None of that is relevant now. We’ve made one truly awful hire since 1985 in football. Even Moorhead was able to keep our heads above water for two years to keep us from devolving into a decade like what Arkansas just went through.

The only time in our history that we’ve had both a favorable divisional schedule and a good coach was 1997-2000. You know, the 4-year time period when we won the West, followed that with a 10 win / Top 15 season, and followed both of those with a team that destroyed both division champions in back-to-back weeks and was 3 plays away from finishing 10-1. I think we’d all certainly take more of that.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Alabama isn't going to give up their oldest SEC rival. You folks can give up on ever escaping Bama. But I guess fantasy land is a nice diversion.

Alabama's permanent rivals are going to be Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU. That's what they want, and that's what makes sense for TV.

The only other possibility for them is to replace LSU with Oklahoma, who doesn't really have any obvious permanents other than Texas, and Alabama-Oklahoma would at least be a huge $$ annual game, but I predict Oklahoma gets matched with Florida instead. Oklahoma-Texas A&M is also possible, but Jimbo didn't list them when he spilled the beans.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Do you honestly think Bama fans give two ***** about their “rivalry” with State? Most Bama fans think they could beat the Jags. They don’t look at the new schedule and start
marking games off as loses. Bama wants to continue to be the marquee program in the SEC. You gotta play the marquee teams. Mississippi State vs. Alabama - ain’t nobody wanna see that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login