Ohtani…

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
He’s 4-1 with a 2.74 ERA. Other than tonight, what’s the problem?
Maybe dogshit was a strong word out of fantasy baseball frustration. He has not been good the last 30 days. Baltimore tonight, cardinals and A’s both knocked him around earlier this month.

Reactions: patdog

kired

Aug 22, 2008
That would have been wild. Watched Cedric Mullins hit for it Friday night in Baltimore (on TV vs pirates)

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
No need for qualifiers. He's the best baseball player ever.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
No need for qualifiers. He's the best baseball player ever.

Pretty hot take here. Very difficult to compare across eras that are 100 years apart, but just by standard statistical measures he was probably a little bit better pitcher than Ruth, but nowhere close to as good of a hitter.

But 2nd best baseball player ever is certainly on the table. And maybe he is the best ever, but its still wayyyyy too early in his career to make that determination.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Pretty hot take here. Very difficult to compare across eras that are 100 years apart, but just by standard statistical measures he was probably a little bit better pitcher than Ruth, but nowhere close to as good of a hitter.

But 2nd best baseball player ever is certainly on the table. And maybe he is the best ever, but its still wayyyyy too early in his career to make that determination.
My favorite baseball trend of the last few years has been this one:

"Ohtani hits for the cycle while going 3-4 with a homer and a steal, a feat not done since Mordecai "Strawberry Slurpin'" Browncleats did it for the Mudhens in 1884. Plus Mike trout goes 3-5 with 2 grand slams, as the Angels lose 15-9 to the Mariners."

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

"Ohtani hits for the cycle while going 3-4 with a homer and a steal, a feat not done since Mordecai "Strawberry Slurpin'" Browncleats did it for the Mudhens in 1884. Plus Mike trout goes 3-5 with 2 grand slams, as the Angels lose 15-9 to the Mariners."

He’d certainly be accomplishing a historic feat if he hit for the cycle while only going 3 for 4. That’s Bill Brasky / Chuck Norris territory right there.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

That's what I came here to ask. I am actually paying attention to them now that Renfroe is there. Why do they suck?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe dogshit was a strong word out of fantasy baseball frustration. He has not been good the last 30 days. Baltimore tonight, cardinals and A’s both knocked him around earlier this month.
And you think that matters one damn bit? 4-1 with a 2.74 ERA says everything you need to know.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

How do you hit for the cycle and be 3-4?

Reactions: 17itdawg

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
And you think that matters one damn bit? 4-1 with a 2.74 ERA says everything you need to know.
Or it could say he started out gangbusters and because he pitched in the WBC is hitting a wall early with some arm fatigue. Damnit.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022

I'm working under the assumption (which isn't so much an assumption as an absolute fact) that the competition that Ohtani faces is slightly more advanced and difficult than the competition when Ruth was playing. To do what he is doing in the modern era is simply astounding.

I mean no one ever got to watch replays of Ruth's pitching in slow motion to see if he in any way tips his pitches. That's just one of hundreds of examples that makes Ohtani's career thus far more unbelievable than any player ever.

Reactions: aTotal360

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm working under the assumption (which isn't so much an assumption as an absolute fact) that the competition that Ohtani faces is slightly more advanced and difficult than the competition when Ruth was playing. To do what he is doing in the modern era is simply astounding.

I mean no one ever got to watch replays of Ruth's pitching in slow motion to see if he in any way tips his pitches. That's just one of hundreds of examples that makes Ohtani's career thus far more unbelievable than any player ever.

Already acknowledged that Ohtani is probably the better pitcher. That’s not very much of a controversial statement.

But the gap between him and Ruth as pitchers (in favor of Ohtani) is in no way comparable to the absolute chasm that exists between the two of them as hitters, which is vastly in favor of Ruth.

I mean you’re talking about Ruth, who is hands down, and beyond any form of rational debate, the greatest hitter / offensive player in 120+ years of MLB….compared to a guy who has never even been the best hitter on his own team.

Jul 26, 2021
Norm Macdonald Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login