Ohtani to TJ.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Skenes better be glad he got that record bonus, because he's on the clock. Dude throws 100 over and over AND spent a year under Jay the OG Arm Kill Johnson AND with Stumpy as pitching coach? Geez.

He's a big strong one so he might last for a little while. But so was Kumar Rocker. At least he has ole girl to keep him busy while he will be recovering.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Skenes better be glad he got that record bonus, because he's on the clock. Dude throws 100 over and over AND spent a year under Jay the OG Arm Kill Johnson AND with Stumpy as pitching coach? Geez.

He's a big strong one so he might last for a little while. But so was Kumar Rocker. At least he has ole girl to keep him busy while he will be recovering.
That boy is going to need some oitment for his johnson, going to be used up by the time that arm heals.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Raises one previously not considered question…..how long before he can hit again after having TJ? I’m assuming that its a faster recovery to get back to DH-ing, just don’t know if that creates risk of a setback or issue with the pitching rehab.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Raises one previously not considered question…..how long before he can hit again after having TJ? I’m assuming that its a faster recovery to get back to DH-ing, just don’t know if that creates risk of a setback or issue with the pitching rehab.
He DH'ed in 2018 while recovering from TJ. He hit two HRs in the next game after tearing his UCL then, and he DH'ed in the game after hurting his elbow this week.

Perhaps more famously, Bryce Harper played for an extended period of time as a DH while recovering from TJ surgery. Of course, he's not a pitcher.

In theory, Ohtani can go get his surgery and be able to hit next spring, given precedent, assuming things go well with the surgery. But he won't pitch aGAIN until '25.

The real question is if someone is still willing to throw him $500 million, and if they do, are they willing to risk their investment by letting him DH while he recovers from TJ surgery.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yep, the Angels were set to trade him somewhere for some huge money…. Ouch.
No, the Angels were set to lose him for nothing. They should've traded him at the deadline when his value was sky high and they could've netted a huge return. In hindsight, they're even dumber now for not doing it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Probably a $100,000,000 injury. It doesn't tank his FA value, but it no doubt dents it.

Seems he’s currently worth a minimum of $70 million a year, considering that he’s Top 5 in MLB as both a pitcher and a hitter. #1 rotation guys and elite bats are currently both getting about $35 million per year over 9-10 years. Maybe add a premium for the fact that you get 2 All-Star caliber players with one roster spot. If you call it $70 million per year for 9 years (until he’s 38), that’s a $630,000,000 deal. If the injury costs him $100,000,000, he’s still going to absolutely destroy the MLB contract record with a deal that’s north of a half-billion dollars. So, I think he’ll be OK. And its also going to create an interesting game of chicken between potential suitors. The winner will likely be the one that cares the least about the TJ and doesn’t let it affect their offer.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yep, the Angels were set to trade him somewhere for some huge money…. Ouch.

They definitely 17ed this up badly even without the injury. There was no reason not to trade him except hubris. They need a ton of help to build that franchise, are way out of contention, and still decided to let the greatest and most unique overall MLB talent of the past 80 years walk away for nothing in return.

Reactions: eckie1

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Seems he’s currently worth a minimum of $70 million a year, considering that he’s Top 5 in MLB as both a pitcher and a hitter. #1 rotation guys and elite bats are currently both getting about $35 million per year over 9-10 years. Maybe add a premium for the fact that you get 2 All-Star caliber players with one roster spot. If you call it $70 million per year for 9 years (until he’s 38), that’s a $630,000,000 deal. If the injury costs him $100,000,000, he’s still going to absolutely destroy the MLB contract record with a deal that’s north of a half-billion dollars. So, I think he’ll be OK. And its also going to create an interesting game of chicken between potential suitors. The winner will likely be the one that cares the least about the TJ and doesn’t let it affect their offer.
I think the winner of that sweepstakes is going to be someone with stupid money and they're willing to lose a chunk of to put him on the shelf for a year. I'm thinking Mets, Dodgers, maybe Red Sox. Some of the west coast teams willing to throw in before, like the Angels, Mariners, Padres, etc., are probably going to sit it out now. I don't see the Yankees getting involved now.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think the winner of that sweepstakes is going to be someone with stupid money and they're willing to lose a chunk of to put him on the shelf for a year. I'm thinking Mets, Dodgers, maybe Red Sox. Some of the west coast teams willing to throw in before, like the Angels, Mariners, Padres, etc., are probably going to sit it out now. I don't see the Yankees getting involved now.

I think you’re certainly on the money with those Top 3 teams. What little reading I’ve done seems to indicate that the Dodgers are the current favorites, but certainly wouldn’t write off those other two. The only one I would write off is the Angels, as he’s already all but said he’s not resigning with them and that’s why their refusal to trade him is so ridiculous.

Also agree on the Yankees, but they might be a dark horse if they approach him from the angle of “we’re set for a multi-year title run with you”. But even with all their money, they can’t essentially add $600 million to the payroll after already giving Judge and Cole their max deals. Ohtani’s from a totally different culture though, so maybe he would take less than his true worth to go there and win a few rings. He’d have to agree to only take $35-$40 million instead of $60-$70 though.

Another one I thought off-hand might be a contender is the Cubs, but they aren’t even being mentioned as remote possibilities so I’m guessing they already have too much money tied up to make a push.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think you’re certainly on the money with those Top 3 teams. What little reading I’ve done seems to indicate that the Dodgers are the current favorites, but certainly wouldn’t write off those other two. The only one I would write off is the Angels, as he’s already all but said he’s not resigning with them and that’s why their refusal to trade him is so ridiculous.

Also agree on the Yankees, but they might be a dark horse if they approach him from the angle of “we’re set for a multi-year title run with you”. But even with all their money, they can’t essentially add $600 million to the payroll after already giving Judge and Cole their max deals. Ohtani’s from a totally different culture though, so maybe he would take less than his true worth to go there and win a few rings. He’d have to agree to only take $35-$40 million instead of $60-$70 though.

Another one I thought off-hand might be a contender is the Cubs, but they aren’t even being mentioned as remote possibilities so I’m guessing they already have too much money tied up to make a push.
The Yankees have shown an unwillingness lately to take on huge chunks of payroll. They almost lost Judge over it before finally deciding to go all in. They have refused to add payroll over the last two trade deadlines. What they're currently paying Stanton is up there with Rendon for the worst contract in baseball, so they're gun shy. Hal isn't his daddy and he's shown a lot less willingness to open up the checkbook. I don't see them committing 500m or more to a guy who will have to sit on the shelf for much of the first year of the deal.

I don't see the Cubs spending at that level either. And if they did, I don't see Ohtani going there because they can't be relied on to build around him like he would expect them to.

The only teams with stupid money and stupid owners willing to spend stupid money just because they want to are the Mets and Dodgers, and I think that's where the battle will end up being. The Padres were rumored heavily to be pursuing him along with the Mariners but I don't see that being the case with the injury now.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
As a general rule this is true but Nolan Ryan did it for 27 years!
It's not even true as a general rule. Only one third of major league pitchers have needed Tommy John. It's just a really sexy thing to say because it's impacted some high profile guys this year. Goat can't wait for a player to tear a UCL so he can come here and crow about it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not even true as a general rule. Only one third of major league pitchers have needed Tommy John. It's just a really sexy thing to say because it's impacted some high profile guys this year. Goat can't wait for a player to tear a UCL so he can come here and crow about it.
You're a blithering idiot if you don't think the spike in UCL injuries isn't directly attributed to the velo era. It's an indisputable fact, man. Just stop. Everybody except you, Casey Smith** and a couple other moron coaches running around small town USA understand that.

I don't know why you can't accept it. It's not changing, no matter what you or I think. Pitchers will continue to throw hard because that value outweighs needing a surgery or two, even if the recovery time is long. Just have to hope you don't need to have the surgery until you get into the pros. And even then, it often doesn't matter, ask Landon Sims.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You're a blithering idiot if you don't think the spike in UCL injuries isn't directly attributed to the velo era. It's an indisputable fact, man. Just stop. Everybody except you, Casey Smith** and a couple other moron coaches running around small town USA understand that.

I don't know why you can't accept it. It's not changing, no matter what you or I think. Pitchers will continue to throw hard because that value outweighs needing a surgery or two, even if the recovery time is long. Just have to hope you don't need to have the surgery until you get into the pros. And even then, it often doesn't matter, ask Landon Sims.
One third. The numbers are the numbers. The rest is just goat bring goat.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
One third. The numbers are the numbers. The rest is just goat bring goat.
You are one stupid m17er. I can Google too. Your article is 10 years old.

And it doesn’t even matter. It’s the INCREASE that matters. I don’t need to link an article. Anybody can find this.

Trump will win the 2020 election. Just go drink a beer drebin. You’re done.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You are one stupid m17er. I can Google too. Your article is 10 years old.

And it doesn’t even matter. It’s the INCREASE that matters. I don’t need to link an article. Anybody can find this.

Trump will win the 2020 election. Just go drink a beer drebin. You’re done.
You're wrong, as usual. You live to grandstand on this issue and declare absolutes. If we're talking youth baseball, you blame overthrowing for rise in TJ. If it's a big name major leaguer, you blame "throwing 100". Every time you do it, you sound like a fvcking moron.

Major league organizations have millions tied up in these players. If you want to know what the real cause is, look at how they manage guys. If it was guys "throwing 100," they'd stop letting guys throw 100. You're too stupid to figure this out so I'll enlighten you: There's no magic bullet. There's no one reason. There are many ways it can happen, just like there are many ways you can tear a knee ligament. They are trauma injuries.

The sooner you learn that, the better it will be for the rest of us here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login