OK What's the WORST OC ever to coach at MSU in recent memory?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I would say Woody, but its not his fault he was brought in to run an offense he didn't understand.

Kinda like bringing in Bobo, then telling him he has to run the Air Raid.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He wasn’t good. NFL Arians was not at MSU.

our offenses were SO inept in the 80s and 90s. We didn’t discover the vertical passing game until Tyler Russell hit the field.
He was QB coach for Bob Tyler when Dave Marler was all-SEC quarterback in ‘78.

Reactions: cytubb

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Am I the only one who remembers handing off to Tay Galloway like 10 times in a row for -2 yards? Have no idea who the OC was then.

Reactions: Faustdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Worst offensive coordinator goes to head coach and OC Rocky Felker. 1 -10 record in either 87 or 88.
Nope.

‘88 had a decent offense.

We couldn’t play defense though. First three SEC teams we played their QBs became SEC player of the week. Then the conference realized how horrible we were.

Tech and Ten was my senior year.

Edit to add: We lost to Georgia 42-35 in Starkville. We came back to tie before UGA won. I was telling @Mr. Cook loudly in front of a few Georgia fans while walking back to the dorm that since we played that well against Georgia, I would bet that South Carolina (UGA’s next opponent) would win.

(And reader: The Gamecocks won that game.)

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
My recent memory likes most of what I saw. Now going back to the 80s brings up a few names.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Am I the only one who remembers handing off to Tay Galloway like 10 times in a row for -2 yards? Have no idea who the OC was then.

Could be Arians or Watson... I used to give Tay a ride back home to Stone county when I was at State..

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Croom. The OC position was just for the public and press. Croom ran everything... period. That was his biggest downfall. If her had learned to delegate and hire the right guys, he could have been successful. I met him once when he was hired. The Head of the company told him I was the biggest MSU fan in the offices. He acted like I owed him money and tribute. He might have been different at another time but loved being in the spotlight. I went back to my office

A far cry from JWS. I was around him just one morning and really enjoyed his company. I asked him who was impressing him that spring. He told me to keep an eye out for a kid called Keffer McGee. Jackie was so impressed he went on talking about him for quite a while. You could tell he really liked Keffer and the other players because he talked about them like they we his own kids. He remembered me long after he was through coaching. JWS was a great guy. It's a real shame the end of his tenure was so terrible.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

That offense was putrid. Amazing how selective memory works.
The defense was awful.

Amazing how selective memory works. ($1)

Only two games where we allowed less than 20 points.

The offense was decent in spurts scoring 69 points against ranked Alabama and Georgia teams.

We were only slightly below average scoring in conference games. The defense was pitiful throughout the season— let’s call Ole Miss the average team since we always compare ourselves to them.**

We scored five points less per SEC game than Ole Miss and gave up 10 points more— the worst statistically in each category— but I’d say the we were a better offensive than defensive team in ‘88 but Rockey did think not having an OC was a mistake (link) and at the same time— the DC Dyer Carlisle left MSU to coach high school ball in Alabama.

Keith Daniels and Jim Carmody become the OC & DC for MSU for the ‘89 season.

0472253F-C324-451E-991D-E6F9843ECD5C.jpeg

E1D85318-E977-4F0B-92DB-28CAFC167FCC.jpeg

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Croom. The OC position was just for the public and press. Croom ran everything... period. That was his biggest downfall. If her had learned to delegate and hire the right guys, he could have been successful. I met him once when he was hired. The Head of the company told him I was the biggest MSU fan in the offices. He acted like I owed him money and tribute. He might have been different at another time but loved being in the spotlight. I went back to my office

A far cry from JWS. I was around him just one morning and really enjoyed his company. I asked him who was impressing him that spring. He told me to keep an eye out for a kid called Keffer McGee. Jackie was so impressed he went on talking about him for quite a while. You could tell he really liked Keffer and the other players because he talked about them like they we his own kids. He remembered me long after he was through coaching. JWS was a great guy. It's a real shame the end of his tenure was so terrible.

This is a deptarture from the original post, but I have to share this Jackie story...
I knew Jackie's daughter in college, she dated a frat bro of mine, and Jackie would come by the house after games. We LOVED him. Nice family altogether. Fast forward to 2001, I was living in Austin and was dropping off a friend at the airport and saw Jackie's wife standing on the sidewalk in the drop-off lane. I walked over and introduced myself, and she said "well Jackie is right over there". He was walking into the terminal, a good 40 yards away probably. She yelled to him, and he turned right around to walk all the way back and say "hey" to me.
The most awesome thing was : He didn't know me, or remember me, and didn't have to turn around and greet me. He could have just walked into the terminal, but he made the time to some greet some 27-year-old who claimed to be friends w/ his daughter (which I was at the time, but he didn't know that). I always liked him before, but that single act of awesomeness put him over the top.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Arians 1st time was so good Bear Bryant hired him away. 2nd time not so good. Arkansas Beat us in Starkville then everyone walked over to the Hump and watch Arkansas Little Rock beat us with over 10k for the first game of the 1996 season. A senior or guard for them went on to win several NBA titles with the Lakers.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The defense was awful.

Amazing how selective memory works. ($1)

Only two games where we allowed less than 20 points.

Every time you bring the inglorious "Tech and 10" season, I think you are trying intentionally piss me off.

Our only win was the first game of the season and we stood in the rain to watch them squeak it out on gadget plays.

angry hades GIF

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
This is a deptarture from the original post, but I have to share this Jackie story...
I knew Jackie's daughter in college, she dated a frat bro of mine, and Jackie would come by the house after games. We LOVED him. Nice family altogether. Fast forward to 2001, I was living in Austin and was dropping off a friend at the airport and saw Jackie's wife standing on the sidewalk in the drop-off lane. I walked over and introduced myself, and she said "well Jackie is right over there". He was walking into the terminal, a good 40 yards away probably. She yelled to him, and he turned right around to walk all the way back and say "hey" to me.
The most awesome thing was : He didn't know me, or remember me, and didn't have to turn around and greet me. He could have just walked into the terminal, but he made the time to some greet some 27-year-old who claimed to be friends w/ his daughter (which I was at the time, but he didn't know that). I always liked him before, but that single act of awesomeness put him over the top.
The Kang....my man

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Arians 1st time was so good Bear Bryant hired him away. 2nd time not so good. Arkansas Beat us in Starkville then everyone walked over to the Hump and watch Arkansas Little Rock beat us with over 10k for the first game of the 1996 season. A senior or guard for them went on to win several NBA titles with the Lakers.
Derek Fisher. They won on a tip in at the buzzer. They lead most of the game and we came back to tie or take the lead dramatically in the final seconds if I remember correctly.

That game killed our top 10 momentum well into the conference season then Dontae became Dontae and the rest is history.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Woody McCorvey and it's not even close.

Prior to State he had only spent two years as an OC at a Alabama and largely flopped. He went back to being an assistant and Croom called him up to be an OC. Much like Croom, he was given a job he was not qualified to perform. I don't really have any personal enmity toward him as you'd have to be a dummy to turn down a coordinator job in the SEC and Croom saddled him with running the WCO with which neither McCorvey nor Croom really had experience with (you can argue that he did since Green Bay was running it, but Croom was just the dang RB coach and he was not running the WCO when he was OC at the Lions).

Reactions: Indndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login