Ok, who had a valentines fail?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Being valentines this week and all, you attempt to stay right with them, but one misstep and they go off the rails. 927AEF62-2C21-4581-8408-CFED4BB0106D.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Does anyone here besides me just simply not do valentine's day?
We don't either. My wife was actually out of town for work and I don't think we even talked on Tuesday. I grudgingly sent suckers to school with the kids, no notes. One of the dumbest holidays.

This take will flame some buttholes on here. I have kept a tally on our married friends over the years that are overly affectionate in public or social media... Holding hands everywhere they go, posting fake stuff on social media, etc. About 75% of those couples are divorced or cheat all the time on each other. The other 25% are just annoyingly happy. Most of the actually happy couples I know act like adults in public and are affectionate in private.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We don't either. My wife was actually out of town for work and I don't think we even talked on Tuesday. I grudgingly sent suckers to school with the kids, no notes. One of the dumbest holidays.

This take will flame some buttholes on here. I have kept a tally on our married friends over the years that are overly affectionate in public or social media... Holding hands everywhere they go, posting fake stuff on social media, etc. About 75% of those couples are divorced or cheat all the time on each other. The other 25% are just annoyingly happy. Most of the actually happy couples I know act like adults in public and are affectionate in private.
Yep, show me a guy who is fearful on valentines day and I'll show you a guy who likely won't stay married (unless his wife can't do any better).

As far as facebook and such.....I don't know how most of those fakeass people look at themselves in the mirror.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

We don’t do valentines, didn’t even do it when dating, but I will slap that *** in public whenever I get the chance. I’ll even cop a feel during the prayer at church. I don’t know if that puts me in the 75, 25 or regular folks category.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Wife and I don't go out for Valentines. This started our first ever Valentine's when we were dating. Allow me to set the stage...

She lived in Starkville and I lived in Greenwood. The day before I had gotten food poisoning and felt like warmed over death. She told me not to worry about coming up but I'll be damned if I miss our first Valentine. Besides, I had already made reservations at the best place in town and had ordered a dozen roses to be delivered at work. So that day I am at work barely keeping my head off my desk and I keep waiting for a text or email saying I got the flowers, I love them, thank you thank you, etc. It never came I didn't want to ask her if she got them and ruin the surprise, though. When I get off work I point the truck east and head to Starkvegas. I get to her apartment and we head to the restaurant for our 7:00pm reservations. We get there and that parking lot is packed. Cars everywhere. I'm jumping curbs and everything else trying to find a parking spot. Finally find one and go inside and the lobby is shoulder to shoulder. I make a comment that I am glad we have reservations. I Barry Sanders my way to the podium and give my name . She tells me it will be about a two hour wait. I figure she didn't hear me over all the noise say I have reservations so I repeat that fact. She looks at me and says so does everybody else here in the lobby. I get Forest Whitaker eye. Talk to my future wife and we realize anyplace else above Barnhill's is going to be just as bad and we have no reservations anywhere else. So we wait. And wait. And wait. And I feel like dog ****. Finally, around 9:30 we get to a table. And then we wait again. Around 10:30 or so a waitress shows up to see what we want to drink. We don't see another employee until after 11:00 when we finally get our drinks and she takes our order. We each order a ribeye and baked potato with salad. They're out of salad. Ok. Don't care. 11:30 we see a waitress take an order to the table behind us. I thought that sure looked like our order. Then I hear the guy at the table behind us tell his wife that wasn't what they ordered but it was food so he isn't saying anything. Forest Whitaker eye returns. Close to midnight we finally get our order. Here is where it gets really good. They only had one clean set of silverware in the entire mother17ing restaurant. So we had to take turns cutting a few pieces of steak and eating it and then passing the knife and fork across the table. So we got there at 7:00 and it was close to 1:00 before we left. Suffice to say I did not pay them a dime that night. I get her back to her apartment and since I had to work the next day I had to drive home. So cold February night and I have my window down and my head out the window trying to not to hurl. I make it home, park sideways in the driveway. Turn off the truck and run outside and deposit everything I had eaten since the 6th grade leaning against my house.

Next day I decide I am not going to work and just lay in bed all day trying to decide if I am alive or dead. Which brings me to the dozen roses. When I had gotten to her apartment I ask if she got the flowers and she said she did not. So that next day once I decided I might make it to see another sunrise I call the florist up to ask WTF. I was told they just forgot to submit the order but they can deliver them today if I like or they can give me a refund. Didn't see the point in flowers a day late so I opted for the refund.

And that is why we never go out to eat on Valentines. I just pick up some steak / lobster at the store and cook it myself.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Its hard to fail at it if you don't do it. Wife and I don't do Valentines, Anniversary, Birthday or Christmas gifts to each other, nothing. We always exchange a "Happy Birthday" or "Happy ANniversary" or whatever but it's worked for 36 years so why change it now huh?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
And here I am feeling bad for doing the bare minimum of a card, and flowers. Sometimes I throw in cookies or candy. Wife tells me not to do it every year. Then every year something shows up at her work, and I can tell how happy it makes her.

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And here I am feeling bad for doing the bare minimum of a card, and flowers. Sometimes I throw in cookies or candy. Wife tells me not to do it every year. Then every year something shows up at her work, and I can tell how happy it makes her.
I'm not judging or anything, it's very difficult to break away from societal pushes, whether it's marketing, pressure to feel important in front of others, or just greed. Worse today than it's ever been, with social media. And some folks like gifts, both giving and receiving. I don't understand that, never have, but I'm not other people, and they aren't me. Overall I don't like the pressure of that ONE day.

And @ronpolk, I remember growing up watching all the other kids at school get balloons and candy too. It's no fun to not get anything. Eventually I got over it, because my dad wasn't paying for sh*t in that realm, no matter what anybody else wanted.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I will get mine a box of Godiva chocolate. To me, it's way over priced, but its her favorite so is it really overpriced?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
We don’t do valentines, didn’t even do it when dating, but I will slap that *** in public whenever I get the chance. I’ll even cop a feel during the prayer at church. I don’t know if that puts me in the 75, 25 or regular folks category.
Slapping that *** in public is very healthy... could lead to some advanced punishment later that night if you're lucky.

Holding hands past 8th grade is eh... Something else.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's like a law of the universe that if a man is gushing on social media about his wife or girlfriend, he's been balls deep in another woman within the past 7 days.

And I think you're overstimating that 25% by a factor of ten. So make it 97.5% and 2.5% and I think you're in the ball park.

Reactions: DerHntr

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Wife and I don't go out for Valentines. This started our first ever Valentine's when we were dating. Allow me to set the stage...

She lived in Starkville and I lived in Greenwood. The day before I had gotten food poisoning and felt like warmed over death. She told me not to worry about coming up but I'll be damned if I miss our first Valentine. Besides, I had already made reservations at the best place in town and had ordered a dozen roses to be delivered at work. So that day I am at work barely keeping my head off my desk and I keep waiting for a text or email saying I got the flowers, I love them, thank you thank you, etc. It never came I didn't want to ask her if she got them and ruin the surprise, though. When I get off work I point the truck east and head to Starkvegas. I get to her apartment and we head to the restaurant for our 7:00pm reservations. We get there and that parking lot is packed. Cars everywhere. I'm jumping curbs and everything else trying to find a parking spot. Finally find one and go inside and the lobby is shoulder to shoulder. I make a comment that I am glad we have reservations. I Barry Sanders my way to the podium and give my name . She tells me it will be about a two hour wait. I figure she didn't hear me over all the noise say I have reservations so I repeat that fact. She looks at me and says so does everybody else here in the lobby. I get Forest Whitaker eye. Talk to my future wife and we realize anyplace else above Barnhill's is going to be just as bad and we have no reservations anywhere else. So we wait. And wait. And wait. And I feel like dog ****. Finally, around 9:30 we get to a table. And then we wait again. Around 10:30 or so a waitress shows up to see what we want to drink. We don't see another employee until after 11:00 when we finally get our drinks and she takes our order. We each order a ribeye and baked potato with salad. They're out of salad. Ok. Don't care. 11:30 we see a waitress take an order to the table behind us. I thought that sure looked like our order. Then I hear the guy at the table behind us tell his wife that wasn't what they ordered but it was food so he isn't saying anything. Forest Whitaker eye returns. Close to midnight we finally get our order. Here is where it gets really good. They only had one clean set of silverware in the entire mother17ing restaurant. So we had to take turns cutting a few pieces of steak and eating it and then passing the knife and fork across the table. So we got there at 7:00 and it was close to 1:00 before we left. Suffice to say I did not pay them a dime that night. I get her back to my apartment and since I had to work the next day I had to drive home. So cold February night and I have my window down and my head out the window trying to not to hurl. I make it home, park sideways in the driveway. Turn off the truck and run outside and deposit everything I had eaten since the 6th grade leaning against my house.

Next day I decide I am not going to work and just lay in bed all day trying to decide if I am alive or dead. Which brings me to the dozen roses. When I had gotten to her apartment I ask if she got the flowers and she said she did not. So that next day once I decided I might make it to see another sunrise I call the florist up to ask WTF. I was told they just forgot to submit the order but they can deliver them today if I like or they can give me a refund. Didn't see the point in flowers a day late so I opted for the refund.

And that is why we never go out to eat on Valentines. I just pick up some steak / lobster at the store and cook it myself.
Sounds like like something that would happen to a Greenwoodian. Some folks say there is a curse on that town, only to be broken in the unlikely event a residents actually escapes.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I grilled rib eyes for dinner. No card, no flowers. We had planned to go eat Mexican for lunch but I was putting brake pads and rotors on her suv and didn’t get finished in time. She got new brakes for Valentines. I was sore from being on my hands and knees all morning and went to bed early. She came through naked and said she was taking a shower. I was asleep when she got out of the shower. She didn’t care.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I had no idea.............Christ
I called to order some flowers for my wife from the store I've used the last ~10 years. My typical order has averaged from $50 to $100 over the years. They asked me what I wanted - said my wife doesn't like roses so what else do they have. She says we have A and B, prices START at $200.... I literally couldn't speak....

After about 5 seconds of stunned silence she says - but we've got stuff you can come by and pick out for a lot less. I say I'll come by Monday afternoon.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

She lived in Starkville and I lived in Greenwood. The day before I had gotten food poisoning and felt like warmed over death. She told me not to worry about coming up but I'll be damned if I miss our first Valentine. Besides, I had already made reservations at the best place in town and had ordered a dozen roses to be delivered at work. So that day I am at work barely keeping my head off my desk and I keep waiting for a text or email saying I got the flowers, I love them, thank you thank you, etc. It never came I didn't want to ask her if she got them and ruin the surprise, though. When I get off work I point the truck east and head to Starkvegas. I get to her apartment and we head to the restaurant for our 7:00pm reservations. We get there and that parking lot is packed. Cars everywhere. I'm jumping curbs and everything else trying to find a parking spot. Finally find one and go inside and the lobby is shoulder to shoulder. I make a comment that I am glad we have reservations. I Barry Sanders my way to the podium and give my name . She tells me it will be about a two hour wait. I figure she didn't hear me over all the noise say I have reservations so I repeat that fact. She looks at me and says so does everybody else here in the lobby. I get Forest Whitaker eye. Talk to my future wife and we realize anyplace else above Barnhill's is going to be just as bad and we have no reservations anywhere else. So we wait. And wait. And wait. And I feel like dog ****. Finally, around 9:30 we get to a table. And then we wait again. Around 10:30 or so a waitress shows up to see what we want to drink. We don't see another employee until after 11:00 when we finally get our drinks and she takes our order. We each order a ribeye and baked potato with salad. They're out of salad. Ok. Don't care. 11:30 we see a waitress take an order to the table behind us. I thought that sure looked like our order. Then I hear the guy at the table behind us tell his wife that wasn't what they ordered but it was food so he isn't saying anything. Forest Whitaker eye returns. Close to midnight we finally get our order. Here is where it gets really good. They only had one clean set of silverware in the entire mother17ing restaurant. So we had to take turns cutting a few pieces of steak and eating it and then passing the knife and fork across the table. So we got there at 7:00 and it was close to 1:00 before we left. Suffice to say I did not pay them a dime that night. I get her back to my apartment and since I had to work the next day I had to drive home. So cold February night and I have my window down and my head out the window trying to not to hurl. I make it home, park sideways in the driveway. Turn off the truck and run outside and deposit everything I had eaten since the 6th grade leaning against my house.

This might be the NEW Ryan's steakhouse story for SPS. That is, until tacodawg has a new adventure.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve are amatuer night as far as restaurants. And typically you're not going to get their best, just because of the crush of folks they see those two day.s

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I took my grand daughter (7 yrs.) to Nandy's Candies and let her pick out a couple of mid-priced ($30) heart shaped boxes of candy and cards for her Mom and Grams (My wife). I let her give them to them, she likes this and so do they. It works for us.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Usually not lot. Flowers I bring in and either a simple candy box and/or some type of dessert (chocolate themed). I usually end up with a caramel / chocolate dipped apple on a stick or something similar. We do usually go out to eat the weekend before or after, but not the exact date. This year just did steaks and pan fried some deer strips at home.

Nov 6, 2015
I grilled rib eyes for dinner. No card, no flowers. We had planned to go eat Mexican for lunch but I was putting brake pads and rotors on her suv and didn’t get finished in time. She got new brakes for Valentines. I was sore from being on my hands and knees all morning and went to bed early. She came through naked and said she was taking a shower. I was asleep when she got out of the shower. She didn’t care.
I’m still relatively new to the board, but what is the saying…pictures please

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

She lived in Starkville and I lived in Greenwood. The day before I had gotten food poisoning and felt like warmed over death. She told me not to worry about coming up but I'll be damned if I miss our first Valentine. Besides, I had already made reservations at the best place in town and had ordered a dozen roses to be delivered at work. So that day I am at work barely keeping my head off my desk and I keep waiting for a text or email saying I got the flowers, I love them, thank you thank you, etc. It never came I didn't want to ask her if she got them and ruin the surprise, though. When I get off work I point the truck east and head to Starkvegas. I get to her apartment and we head to the restaurant for our 7:00pm reservations. We get there and that parking lot is packed. Cars everywhere. I'm jumping curbs and everything else trying to find a parking spot. Finally find one and go inside and the lobby is shoulder to shoulder. I make a comment that I am glad we have reservations. I Barry Sanders my way to the podium and give my name . She tells me it will be about a two hour wait. I figure she didn't hear me over all the noise say I have reservations so I repeat that fact. She looks at me and says so does everybody else here in the lobby. I get Forest Whitaker eye. Talk to my future wife and we realize anyplace else above Barnhill's is going to be just as bad and we have no reservations anywhere else. So we wait. And wait. And wait. And I feel like dog ****. Finally, around 9:30 we get to a table. And then we wait again. Around 10:30 or so a waitress shows up to see what we want to drink. We don't see another employee until after 11:00 when we finally get our drinks and she takes our order. We each order a ribeye and baked potato with salad. They're out of salad. Ok. Don't care. 11:30 we see a waitress take an order to the table behind us. I thought that sure looked like our order. Then I hear the guy at the table behind us tell his wife that wasn't what they ordered but it was food so he isn't saying anything. Forest Whitaker eye returns. Close to midnight we finally get our order. Here is where it gets really good. They only had one clean set of silverware in the entire mother17ing restaurant. So we had to take turns cutting a few pieces of steak and eating it and then passing the knife and fork across the table. So we got there at 7:00 and it was close to 1:00 before we left. Suffice to say I did not pay them a dime that night. I get her back to her apartment and since I had to work the next day I had to drive home. So cold February night and I have my window down and my head out the window trying to not to hurl. I make it home, park sideways in the driveway. Turn off the truck and run outside and deposit everything I had eaten since the 6th grade leaning against my house.

We don’t either, never have, but there’s no way in hell I wait 3 1/2 hrs to order a drink, much less eat.
At 8 I’m going to Barnhills or to the local grocery and cooking at her house.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I bought my wife some high noons and trulys on the way home for work. I walked in, presented them, and said happy Valentine’s Day. She was happy.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
My wife's a sucker for houseplants so I normally buy some flowering something, a card, and cook her dinner. She happy.

We had a nightmare outing for NYE just after we first met and vowed never to fight through those kind of "mass outings" again.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

This times a million. Why do you have to tell your wife Happy Anniversary on Facebook? Tell her in person,

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
@Hugh, that’s worthy of a sticky. Wife found ribeyes on sale at the Pig, cooked and ate those - then I tackled resetting a toilet that she’d requested because she thought it was leaking (wasn’t). Know what happens when you turn a cheap water valve off that’s been there 25+ years? The valve stem breaks and you’ve got a freshwater spring going everywhere. you run to the shop for the wrench and screwdriver and 100 yard dash to the road to turn off the water, back to the bathroom and vacuum/wipe up the mess, dig a new valve you bought years ago out of the plumbing box only to find the connection isn’t the same, lowes is closed, swap the guts out of the new valve into the old valve body, (yay it fits). Scrape the old wax and put the new one on, set the bowl, hook everything back up, go to road and turn water on, 100 yard dash back to see if the bathrooms a geyser (cause the wife’s asleep by now), yay again for no leaks, finally get to bed about midnight, she snuggles up and says ‘thank you for my valentines’….life’s good.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Valentines Day. What a wonderful day! I used to give my wife a dozen yellow roses every Valentines Day-until she told me that she would rather have the money I spent on those roses instead of the roses themselves. At that point in time I realized that she would rather have that $100-125 that I was spending on her than the flowers themselves. Roses are dead within a couple of days and she would rather have the money. No problem-I gave her the money instead lol.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We used to try to something or buy each other something but we don't after 25 years and 3 kids. Now we just have a modest dinner out when we can around her schedule and the last few years we started sharing a small drink of Maker's in the evening. Sometimes I surprise her with some chocolate. She loves Dove small chocolates. She does not like flowers but I get some ever so often anyway.

Reactions: Double Dawg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Married for 13 years. For the 13th year in a row, I got my wife a dozen chocolate covered strawberries from the local bakery/candy place, and she got me a box of chocolate covered pretzels from the same place. If it falls on a weekday we just cook dinner at home like normal, if it's a weekend night then we just go for Mexican because it's typically less crowded than usual while everyone else wants to go for steak/lobster/fancier places. No cards, no roses, Hallmark can keep their BS consumer holiday.

Side note: stopped at the local grocery on the way home Tuesday because we needed milk and jelly. They had all different color roses, a dozen in a vase with a nice ribbon and a little card for $75 each. Went by there again on my way home Wednesday because the wife wanted bananas. They had those exact same bouquets marked down to $12 on Feb. 15. That right there tells you how BS this holiday is.

Reactions: Fritz!

99dawg

Jul 9, 2011
About 25 years ago, before my wife and I got married, I planted a couple rose bushes for her instead of getting her arranged flowers. I think the 2 of those cost about $8 each. The first year, there was nothing, but they started producing after that. We have lived in another house in the same town for 20 years, now, but those old rose bushes still produce. Occasionally, I might have slipped by there to swipe a few, but I am not spending money on dead flowers, anymore. My wife is good with it, we just cook a nice meal at home and stay out of the crazy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login