Old Man Winter saying hold my beer

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I know...all the trees and flowers are budding and blooming out. We've been up in the 80's and will be in the 70's today. Spring is here. Until it's not. And tonight it will not be as models look to be in very good agreement on areas along and north of the 82 corridor seeing between 1-3" of snow with locally higher amounts. Those highter amounts could be in the 4"-6" range in my unprofessional opinion. Somewhere, some heavier convective snow bands are going to set up. They may only be 10 miles wide or so, but where ever they set up those areas are going to see more snow than forecast. And before you ask, it is impossible to know where they will be.

I'm still not sold on roads being bad in the morning. Bridges definitely will be, but with air temps as warm as they will be today it will take a lot to cool down the road surfaces to allow snow to stick. The only excpetion to that will be if it comes down heavy enough early enough to sort of flash freeze the road surface. One of those situations where the snow is falling faster than it can melt. Most likely in the areas where the convective bands set up.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
So... just where are these heavier connective snow bands going to set up?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
We've got to make a trip to south Mississippi Sunday morning. Temps here are supposed to be in the teens then, so hopefully the roads will have dried out enough to make the trip safe. Remember 1993, maybe 1994? And it was just about the same date.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You’ll be fine. It’s supposed to be sunny and above freezing Saturday and with it being March the sun angle is much higher so it will melt anything on the road pretty quickly.

Bud.sixpack

Aug 24, 2012
I'm taking my grand boy to the monster truck show in Tupelo Saturday morning, is there a possibility it may be canceled?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm headed up there to see the Travelin' McCourys at the Princess in Decatur tomorrow. Needless to say, I've been paying attention to NWS Huntsville and James Spann the past couple days.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
We've got to make a trip to south Mississippi Sunday morning. Temps here are supposed to be in the teens then, so hopefully the roads will have dried out enough to make the trip safe. Remember 1993, maybe 1994? And it was just about the same date.

93 & it came in on a Friday, we were just getting out for spring break, released around noon. By the end of Saturday. We had 7-8 inches and it lasted the whole spring break for us to play in. It was like a true blizzard. Strong winds with frequent thunder. Still the best snow event in my lifetime here in Columbus, MS.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I'm taking my grand boy to the monster truck show in Tupelo Saturday morning, is there a possibility it may be canceled?

I seriously doubt it. I took my kids to that a few years ago. Make sure you all have extremly good hearing protection. I thought I knew loud until I heard those things go full power in an enclosed concrete arena.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

March of '93 it snowed as far south as Mobile, AL. We were driving down for a spring break short vacation in Perdido Key, drove down that night before in a driving thunderstorm, woke up and watched the news and saw snow on the ground in Mobile and most everywhere north of there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I threw some oak firewood in the truck this morning to throw on the grill tonight and tomorrow at The Dude to stand around. I hate these early season cold games, but, the bright side is I won't need ice tomorrow to keep the Left Field Lounge waters cold. 80' last Saturday in Starkville and I had on shorts and worked in the yard. Tomorrow hi 37' and up to 20mph winds

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
My guess is NE Mississippi, well north of the 82 corridor.

Models are all over the place. The latest RAP is showing 5" for Starkville as it sets it up in a band. My best guess would be any further south along 82 would be the eastern part of the state. For the western part it will be much further north near Memphis maybe down to Oxford.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Just got back from driving all over Starkville. About an inch on elevated and grassy surfaces. Roads appear to be just wet. Black ice possible concern in the morning.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
March of '93 it snowed as far south as Mobile, AL. We were driving down for a spring break short vacation in Perdido Key, drove down that night before in a driving thunderstorm, woke up and watched the news and saw snow on the ground in Mobile and most everywhere north of there.

Went to Fort Walton that March. Rained like hell the first night. The next morning I was standing in the sand watching snow flurries. Beyond weird.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login