Ole Miss' basketball arena....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I was just watching the highlights on WTVA. There are a LOT of BENCH seats in that place. BENCH SEATS? LOL.

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I noticed auburn has that in there basketball student section as well. I think it’s so they can cram in as many kids as possible for big games.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Build it and they will come they said.... Article last week about The Pavilion was saying otherwise, down from 5000+ 2 years ago to 3000ish this year. Fancy buildings, concessions, etc are gravy, when you're winning, but a winning team is key otherwise you're wasting your $$ on fluff

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It's a nice place. The best amenities are the open areas and drink rails at mid level, overlooking the court.

However there are no concessions or bathrooms on the 2nd level. If they ever have a capacity crowd in there, getting concessions or a bathroom will be tough.

I have no idea how the Hump project will turn out. I'm sure it could be fine. However it won't have as much open space as the pavilion. Also the Hump badly needs to expand the concourse space. Which isn't possible.

With all that said, baseball in Mississippi is gaining popularity. Basketball, trending down. State was smart to build new there. While OM continues to patch work their 1980s stadium.

also, I'm sure y'all will like this.... walking around that campus, they have a lot of money and even their oldest buildings are well kept.

Mississippi State.... is in bad need of money to up grade Engineering buildings so the belle cow major is first class in every way. Some of those buildings are embarrassing. Anyways...

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
It's a nice place. The best amenities are the open areas and drink rails at mid level, overlooking the court.

However there are no concessions or bathrooms on the 2nd level. If they ever have a capacity crowd in there, getting concessions or a bathroom will be tough.

I have no idea how the Hump project will turn out. I'm sure it could be fine. However it won't have as much open space as the pavilion. Also the Hump badly needs to expand the concourse space. Which isn't possible.

With all that said, baseball in Mississippi is gaining popularity. Basketball, trending down. State was smart to build new there. While OM continues to patch work their 1980s stadium.

also, I'm sure y'all will like this.... walking around that campus, they have a lot of money and even their oldest buildings are well kept.

Mississippi State.... is in bad need of money to up grade Engineering buildings so the belle cow major is first class in every way. Some of those buildings are embarrassing. Anyways...
Excellent venue

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yesterday was my first trip to the Pavilion and it’s a nice venue for sure. The bench seating thing is fine for a student section when you don’t suck so bad that the students stay away. I agree on the bathroom situation being kinda weird too. But overall I thought it was definitely a good arena and superior to The Hump in almost every way, and that may still be the case once The Hump renovations are done.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I hate all things Ole Piss, but I love their arena. I was there yesterday. You can get canes, Steak-n-shake, and they put their students along the court.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sharks new arena is pretty nice and I think the bench seats are for only the student section.

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Lots of building construction on the OM campus. The new STEM Center under construction across from the football stadium/Pavilion looks to be massive and about four stories high. I suspect one of the biggest issues is parking.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Lots of building construction on the OM campus. The new STEM Center under construction across from the football stadium/Pavilion looks to be massive and about four stories high. I suspect one of the biggest issues is parking.
I can tell you for sure their biggest issue is the people who occupy those buildings**

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
With all that said, baseball in Mississippi is gaining popularity. Basketball, trending down.
I neither agree nor disagree, but what is the evidence of this? Either way, I love this type of discussion. I love figuring out ways MSU should try and strategize/optimize/maximize.

On the baseball stadium, seems like every 30 years or so it rotates. Was our rebuild of DNF done out of anything but sheer necessity? I’m sure Ole Miss will rebuild in another 10 years or so. I don’t think it was any strategic effort to choose baseball over basketball. The Hump right now is where DNF was in 2015.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I neither agree nor disagree, but what is the evidence of this? Either way, I love this type of discussion. I love figuring out ways MSU should try and strategize/optimize/maximize.

On the baseball stadium, seems like every 30 years or so it rotates. Was our rebuild of DNF done out of anything but sheer necessity? I’m sure Ole Miss will rebuild in another 10 years or so. I don’t think it was any strategic effort to choose baseball over basketball. The Hump right now is where DNF was in 2015.
We couldn't get 9k to the Kentucky Game Wednesday night but we had an opening day weekend record attendance for 3 games.

Saturday OM had 4-5x more people at their baseball game v Delaware than their basketball game v State.

then I'm almost sure our average attendance for baseball is higher than basketball for the past 3-4 years.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We couldn't get 9k to the Kentucky Game Wednesday night but we had an opening day weekend record attendance for 3 games.

Saturday OM had 4-5x more people at their baseball game v Delaware than their basketball game v State.

then I'm almost sure our average attendance for baseball is higher than basketball for the past 3-4 years.
So do you mean COLLEGE basketball/baseball or just the sport overall? Guess I misunderstood. One could say baseball is popular bc we both win. And of course that could be bc fans love it.

I also think basketball is popular in MS, especially in Jackson.

Of course football is too, which is why MSU/OM punch so far above their weights.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login