Ole Miss beating their chest per usual about #6

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
NIL ranking in SEC. Any truth to the rumor they borrowed a substantial amount to put themselves in that position? Seems plausible with all the leased Mercedes and BMWs in Oxford.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
NIL ranking in SEC. Any truth to the rumor they borrowed a substantial amount to put themselves in that position? Seems plausible with all the leased Mercedes and BMWs in Oxford.
What I heard is they got a line of credit against future contributions to their NIL. They did raise a lot of money though during the Lane Kiffin rumors.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
They do have a couple guys approaching Billionaire status (if not already there) that like Ole Miss sports.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
What I heard is they got a line of credit against future contributions to their NIL. They did raise a lot of money though during the Lane Kiffin rumors.
There is just way too much noise of them borrowing money for NIL for there not to be some basis in truth. One version that I heard had a couple of wealthy donors guaranteeing the loans.

Beating your chest about paying players with borrowed money would be the most Ole Miss thing ever!

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
Maybe I’m on an island here, but there is absolutely zero chance I would ever even consider giving money for NIL purposes. I love my university, local to the GTA, and buy season tickets for sports….but to give my earned $’s to that type of fund just seems ridiculous. I guess it’s the way of the future…I just won’t be participating in it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe I’m on an island here, but there is absolutely zero chance I would ever even consider giving money for NIL purposes. I love my university, local to the GTA, and buy season tickets for sports….but to give my earned $’s to that type of fund just seems ridiculous. I guess it’s the way of the future…I just won’t be participating in it.
That’s fine if that’s your choice. But you’ll do more good for MSU sports giving to NIL than you will giving to Bulldog Club. I hate it too. But I’ve decided to give my Bulldog Club contributions to NIL going forward. I’ll give a token to Bulldog Club too, but less than half what I was giving before.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
NIL was never intended to be funded by the average fan. Ideally it's big money boosters and businesses funding it. Fans are the lowest tier of NIL.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
NIL was never intended to be funded by the average fan. Ideally it's big money boosters and businesses funding it. Fans are the lowest tier of NIL.
The money will be driven by big donors and businesses, but at least NIL gives average fans a way to participate. I know a lot of people who never participated in old school pay-for-play but contribute to NIL. And NIL is legal pay-for-play.

Honest question: Can small donors make an impact? Are there 10k fans in Davis Wade and watching on TV that could give $100/month? That would be $12m/year on top of what the big boys give.

For as much time/energy fans invest in college sports, $100/month doesn’t seem like a lot.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The money will be driven by big donors and businesses, but at least NIL gives average fans a way to participate. I know a lot of people who never participated in old school pay-for-play but contribute to NIL. And NIL is legal pay-for-play.

Honest question: Can small donors make an impact? Are there 10k fans in Davis Wade and watching on TV that could give $100/month? That would be $12m/year on top of what the big boys give.

For as much time/energy fans invest in college sports, $100/month doesn’t seem like a lot.
How can I explain to my wife that I'm giving a $100 a month for something I can't see, touch, or feel when she needs a 107th pair of shoes?

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
That’s fine if that’s your choice. But you’ll do more good for MSU sports giving to NIL than you will giving to Bulldog Club. I hate it too. But I’ve decided to give my Bulldog Club contributions to NIL going forward. I’ll give a token to Bulldog Club too, but less than half what I was giving before.
This is going to be how I proceed this year as well. Who really gives a **** about BDC ranking anyway.

Reactions: patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
This is the way.

Anyone reading this website is probably already spending money on State fandom in multiple ways. Why not think strategically about the most effective way to support our teams?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This is the way.

Anyone reading this website is probably already spending money on State fandom in multiple ways. Why not think strategically about the most effective way to support our teams?
Careful, you're making too much sense here.

Reactions: Motodawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is the way.

If you're giving to Bulldog Club and not NIL, you're just throwing your money away. Even with priority points, you could probably buy tickets on the secondary market cheaper than you're paying to buy them directly from the school.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Givi
Giving money to the actual players > giving money to the BC so they can kick it back to Roy Anderson/Foil Wyatt/Waggoner etc.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
If you're giving to Bulldog Club and not NIL, you're just throwing your money away. Even with priority points, you could probably buy tickets on the secondary market cheaper than you're paying to buy them directly from the school.
I strongly disagree with your notion that BDC isn't important. BDC is the one that pays the tuition for ALL student athletes (97% of whom will NOT have a NIL deal), housing, healthcare, meals, and cash stipends, not to mention other support. Oh yea, coaches and facilities as well. The paradigm is changing where facilities will not have the focus they once did pre-NIL area, but you still have to maintain what you have.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I strongly disagree with your notion that BDC isn't important. BDC is the one that pays the tuition for ALL student athletes (97% of whom will NOT have a NIL deal), housing, healthcare, meals, and cash stipends, not to mention other support. Oh yea, coaches and facilities as well. The paradigm is changing where facilities will not have the focus they once did pre-NIL area, but you still have to maintain what you have.
It's important, but not as important as NIL. When I decided to contribute as much to NIL as I had been contributing to Bulldog Club, I didn't eliminate my Bulldog Club contribution. I cut it by 60%. My overall contribution to MSU athletics went up 40%.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
When everyone stops giving to the Bulldog Club that’s going to be a huge problem. The Bulldog Club provides the funds to pay for the scholarships for all MSU athletes, as well as meals, stipends, etc. If we can’t provide scholarships, there won’t be any need for NIL. I continue to give to the Bulldog Club as I have for almost 50 years as well as a very small monthly contribution to NIL. The scholarship is very valuable to some of these kids-especially those who receive very little to no NIL money. I’m pretty confident that those who are raking in the big NIL money have zero interest in actually going to school, much less graduating-and most won’t.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
When everyone stops giving to the Bulldog Club that’s going to be a huge problem. The Bulldog Club provides the funds to pay for the scholarships for all MSU athletes, as well as meals, stipends, etc. If we can’t provide scholarships, there won’t be any need for NIL. I continue to give to the Bulldog Club as I have for almost 50 years as well as a very small monthly contribution to NIL. The scholarship is very valuable to some of these kids-especially those who receive very little to no NIL money. I’m pretty confident that those who are raking in the big NIL money have zero interest in actually going to school, much less graduating-and most won’t.
I don't think the Bulldog Club will run out of money because too much money is being diverted to the Bulldog Initiative.

But if that does become an issue, a simple fix would be adjusting official communications like this:

"Countless people have contacted me to offer their support and to ask how they can help Mississippi State University's athletic department during our period of transition to a new Athletic Director. My answer to each of them has been consistent: be optimistic, be present and vocal at our games, and support the NIL efforts of our friends at The Bulldog Initiative." - Bracky Brett, 11/2/2022

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login