Ole Miss Chicken or Egg type question

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The "Enough is Enough" post got me thinking. I live in the far away (from Mississippi) corner of Arkansas. I'm away from the everyday grind of the rivalry so my feelings aren't swayed by the tiredness of dealing with them every day. However I do run into a rebel from time to time. Of all the ones I've met, there's only been one I didn't want to punch in the face 30 seconds after I met them. So.....

Does OM just attract douchebags, or do they take normal people and turn them into douchebags?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Does OM just attract douchebags, or do they take normal people and turn them into douchebags?
What would ever give you that idea? Let's kick the idea around with a few randomly selected OM folks for clarification. Guys?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The "Enough is Enough" post got me thinking. I live in the far away (from Mississippi) corner of Arkansas. I'm away from the everyday grind of the rivalry so my feelings aren't swayed by the tiredness of dealing with them every day. However I do run into a rebel from time to time. Of all the ones I've met, there's only been one I didn't want to punch in the face 30 seconds after I met them. So.....

I think you need to shift the idea from poultry to physics. This isn't necessarily a chicken and egg scenario as it is about metal and magnetism (douchiness).

Metal doesn't necessarily start out as magnetic, but when pointed North and struck with another piece of metal, it can become that way. This is really how it probably began, two non-magnetized materials found themselves in a position where they became magnetized. Then this magnetic bond can attract magnetized and non-magnetized materials alike. The pre-magnetized materials form a deeper bond to their magnetized roots, while the non-magnetized are picked up and turned into the magnetized. Some materials like platinum just can't be magnetized and find themselves able to reject any bonds to the magnetized agalmation up North.

So, we take that theory and we come to the idea that some well meaning pioneers took a backwater town and attempted to turn it into a "center of learning" for the Old Southwest in the 1830's. This is fair play. Outside of the laughability of a "center of learning" that didn't know how to pronounce "Lafayette", who wouldn't want that kind of boost to the local economy? Somewhere along the way, they got the douchey idea to name it "Oxford" with the intention of tricking the legislature into putting the state's first university there. This is the point where we see the materials become magnetized. This douche magnet attracted other douches and those that were douche-adjacent ("pre med", "pre law", family members of existing douches, locals, Texas kids that couldn't get in to SMU/Texas/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Baylor/TCU/Texas State, etc.), effectively turning the douche-adjacent into douche-proper. Some folks are able to (in many cases very easily) resist or outright reject the douche magnet and those people are lucky enough to call themselve Mississippi State fans.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
What’s even more rare is the “normal” Ole Miss fan, but they exist. One of my best friends is a big Ole Miss fan (and graduate) from the coast. I always tell him that he should’ve gone to State. Ironically, the only fight I’ve ever been in at a football game is when we (mostly him) kicked the **** out of 3 Ole Miss frat boys leaving VH stadium. They had it coming.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I live in close proximity to State, OM, and Bama so I have a lot of experience with all three fan bases. There are two types of OM fans, graduates and sidewalks. You are rarely aware that you are in the presence of an OM graduate unless you are doing a will or ordering French fries. The sidewalks are the biggest white trash rednecks you'll ever see. Unless! You mingle with the Bama sidewalk fans which are very similar to the OM sidewalks just with actual championships. The actual Bama graduate fans are usually not bad people.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I live in close proximity to State, OM, and Bama so I have a lot of experience with all three fan bases. There are two types of OM fans, graduates and sidewalks. You are rarely aware that you are in the presence of an OM graduate unless you are doing a will or ordering French fries. The sidewalks are the biggest white trash rednecks you'll ever see. Unless! You mingle with the Bama sidewalk fans which are very similar to the OM sidewalks just with actual championships. The actual Bama graduate fans are usually not bad people.
Agreed, Bama grads are typically reasonable. Especially if they’re over the age of 35

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I think you need to shift the idea from poultry to physics. This isn't necessarily a chicken and egg scenario as it is about metal and magnetism (douchiness).

Metal doesn't necessarily start out as magnetic, but when pointed North and struck with another piece of metal, it can become that way. This is really how it probably began, two non-magnetized materials found themselves in a position where they became magnetized. Then this magnetic bond can attract magnetized and non-magnetized materials alike. The pre-magnetized materials form a deeper bond to their magnetized roots, while the non-magnetized are picked up and turned into the magnetized. Some materials like platinum just can't be magnetized and find themselves able to reject any bonds to the magnetized agalmation up North.

So, we take that theory and we come to the idea that some well meaning pioneers took a backwater town and attempted to turn it into a "center of learning" for the Old Southwest in the 1830's. This is fair play. Outside of the laughability of a "center of learning" that didn't know how to pronounce "Lafayette", who wouldn't want that kind of boost to the local economy? Somewhere along the way, they got the douchey idea to name it "Oxford" with the intention of tricking the legislature into putting the state's first university there. This is the point where we see the materials become magnetized. This douche magnet attracted other douches and those that were douche-adjacent ("pre med", "pre law", family members of existing douches, locals, Texas kids that couldn't get in to SMU/Texas/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Baylor/TCU/Texas State, etc.), effectively turning the douche-adjacent into douche-proper. Some folks are able to (in many cases very easily) resist or outright reject the douche magnet and those people are lucky enough to call themselve Mississippi State fans.
That is the most significant thing I've read on a message board today....in so many ways...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

I have many UM neighbors, friends and family, never had a problem with any of them.

• Wow
Reactions: DawgsGoneWild

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

The answer is yes.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login