Ole Miss hire of Chris Beard proves nothing except Rebels' unapologetic desperation - Clarion Ledger off the top rope

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Damn. That’s going to leave a mark.
I mean who among hasn't at least once thought that college age guys should be learning not to take any crap off of women and that occasionally they just need a good strangling/beating?*** That, along with the solid idea that if you are good at sports (or coaching them) you should be able to do so and still make a killing, while nearly killing...***

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In no way am I supporting Ole Miss here, but didn't the fiance change her story and say he acted in self defense?

And I'm curious to know, are they still together?

• Haha
Reactions: Fishsqeezer

patdog

May 28, 2007
That wasn’t pretty.
No. That's a really bad look. He's been wanting to address it, but when asked all he does is say "we've agreed not to talk about it." And the wording of her retraction has so many holes in it. She never says he was defending himself. It looks really bad.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
In no way am I supporting Ole Miss here, but didn't the fiance change her story and say he acted in self defense?

Read her quote. She did NOT say that. Just that she's not going to dispute his claim. Very big difference. And there's no doubt that sentence was worded that way for a reason.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

Her statement reeked of someone who was being paid a hefty sum to make this go away. Beard didn’t have any noticeable injuries while she had bruises and bite marks on her. Doesn’t exactly scream self defense to me. The article also stated they are no longer engaged, but that doesn’t mean they’re not still together. She was not at the press conference.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Damn. She has bite marks on her. That’s some animal behavior

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Ole Miss might be slightly concerned that the UT assistant coach is still winning with the same team. There's a possibility that he was the driving force behind their success and not Beard. He slid into that spot and has taken over awfully easy

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Pretty scathing article, but it wasn't written by the CL beat writer. It was written by a USA Today columnist and linked on the CL website. The CL would never allow one of their employees to write an article that negative about UMiss.
Somebody in Nashville would've been fired for writing that. Hell, they probably got a sternly worded letter just for linking to it.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Taz_Man

Nov 9, 2017
They can hire who they want, charges dropped move on. Our coach is great and thankful to have him.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
No one actually cares. The female student body would be starting a rally of some sort if they cared. Donors would withhold money if they cared. Fans would threaten to drop season tickets if they cared.

This is similar to people saying it’s terrible that there are poor working conditions and underpayment of workers in China and Africa, but then consistently making purchases solely based on price while never checking the labels for where something is produced. Ole Miss’s hire is slightly worse though. It would be like having a picture taped to the outside of the box that shows the impoverished kids making your specific pair of Nikes and buying them anyway.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

No they are not. And she probably changed her story to whatever his lawyers said to do in exchange for money.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Really dumb hire on their part. Completely expected they would do it bc he's the shiniest name they can get, but what's the long game? 2 options really: 1) he succeeds and he goes to a respected program after a couple of years with a tip of the cap by hiring program for OM taking the PR hit, or 2) he struggles and OM a still has a woman beater heading up the program.

Juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze here.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Ole Miss was this close to hiring Jeffrey Epstein to run a special University of Mississippi Charter Middle School before he got caught.

Reactions: patdog

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I mean who among hasn't at least once thought that college age guys should be learning not to take any crap off of women and that occasionally they just need a good strangling/beating?*** That, along with the solid idea that if you are good at sports (or coaching them) you should be able to do so and still make a killing, while nearly killing...***
Sometimes they make the wrong sandwich and sometimes the foot has to be put down though....right?

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
The stars had to align perfectly for UM to get Beard and at a bargain basement price to boot. He was making $5 mil at Texas and his new contract is for $3.2.

The interim coach at Texas has been a head coach at two prior locations and failed at both. He is winning now bc of Beard's recruits. Unless Texas makes the sweet 16, he will likely be cut loose. Texas players will then hit the portal.

Beard and the fiance have apparently parted ways according to another USA hatchet man, Dan Wolken. Obviously, there was a physical confrontation that led to Beard's arrest. However, there is nothing in Beard's history which suggests a pattern of misconduct so it comes down to a simple risk versus reward decision. Fairly easy decision actually to get a coach of Beard's caliber at that price.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The stars had to align perfectly for UM to get Beard and at a bargain basement price to boot. He was making $5 mil at Texas and his new contract is for $3.2.

The interim coach at Texas has been a head coach at two prior locations and failed at both. He is winning now bc of Beard's recruits. Unless Texas makes the sweet 16, he will likely be cut loose. Texas players will then hit the portal.

Beard and the fiance have apparently parted ways according to another USA hatchet man, Dan Wolken. Obviously, there was a physical confrontation that led to Beard's arrest. However, there is nothing in Beard's history which suggests a pattern of misconduct so it comes down to a simple risk versus reward decision. Fairly easy decision actually to get a coach of Beard's caliber at that price.
Whatever gets you through the night, pal.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Keep in mind this didn’t all happen a while ago, it was freaking three months ago. December 2022. I cannot imagine that’s enough time to feel confidence that this was an aberration that will never be a problem again.

But that’s the thing, I doubt OM even cares.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I'm convinced there are a number of OM boosters who would sell their first born to win in athletics OR to keep MSU from winning. Been shown over decades with hiring private investigators to follow Jackie Sherrill and his coaches to try and get dirt on us for the NCAA when we started winning, Freeze and the OM boosters cheating at an unprecedented level after Mullen beat them routinely, and now continuing to hire head coaches with very questionable character that most others didn't want to touch like Beard and even Kiffin. OM and ethics don't really go together but we already knew this.

patdog

May 28, 2007
However, there is nothing in Beard's history which suggests a pattern of misconduct so it comes down to a simple risk versus reward decision.
How do you know this? It's the first time that we're aware of, but there could easily be more that have been paid off and covered up. In any case, the argument that it's OK to beat up your fiancé once just as long as you haven't done it before it ridiculous.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I'm convinced there are a number of OM boosters who would sell their first born to win in athletics OR to keep MSU from winning. Been shown over decades with hiring private investigators to follow Jackie Sherrill and his coaches to try and get dirt on us for the NCAA when we started winning, Freeze and the OM boosters cheating at an unprecedented level after Mullen beat them routinely, and now continuing to hire head coaches with very questionable character that most others didn't want to touch like Beard and even Kiffin. OM and ethics don't really go together but we already knew this.
Kiffin dosnt belong in the same conversation as Beard. There are not pictures floating around of his ex fiancé with bruises and bite marks all over her. Kiffin was a good hire for them that did not come with a lot of pushback like Beard

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Don't forget the guy who let his wife 17 a NCAA investigator to convince him to take down Jackie Sherril with lies.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Amateur athletics, college athletics, is sleazier than the NFL and other professional sports leagues.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You have to remember, these are the same people that hired Billy Brewer, even though he probably couldn't spell habitual, and Hugh Freeze

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login